View Full Version : Video of the Dell Axim

Wiggin
11-20-2002, 04:56 AM
ZDNet has posted a 4 minute video from Comdex that discusses the new Dell Axim. It offers an excellent opportunity to see how the unit fits in one's hand, and offers some commentary on how Dell sees the unit competing with the iPaq.

You can find it here (http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/emailvideonews/www.cnet.com/video/synd/mail_redir2.html?vid_win=http://www.cnet.com/video/comdexflat/aximZZ.html) Give it look and let us know what you think.

The brick doesn't seem quite as large after all :D

spursdude
11-20-2002, 05:37 AM
Wow - at first, I kinda thought that it looked ugly in the photos and such. And it sounded FAT. But watching this video, it actually looks very professional, and the size doesn't look to large. Granted, it's a little thicker than other devices out there, but I'd say it's no big deal.

I honestly think the iPAQ (3900 series, specifically) is in trouble. Basically all the same features - plus CF slot, and less than half the price.

ThomasC22
11-20-2002, 06:14 AM
AND...on the good news...it appears next week is when they will start shipping!

As for the device itself, in the video it looks almost identical to the em-500 size wise.

Kati Compton
11-20-2002, 06:38 AM

As for the device itself, in the video it looks almost identical to the em-500 size wise.

I hope you're right... I worry, given that the reported ship date has moved outwards since the 18th.

I was being pretty good at being patient (for me, anyways ;)) waiting for it to be released. Now that I've given them my credit card info - I want it now! :)

Creation
11-20-2002, 09:54 AM

how do you know it's shipping next week? :?:

Rirath
11-20-2002, 10:46 AM
I may have to wait quite awhile to get mine. I ordered on the 18th, but the next day Dell called me up saying my card was denied. I knew that was freaky, so I called my bank and found a mysterious $337 charge was made to my account, and every number they have points to Dell. Dell denies it again and again, but I should have proof later today. I really wish now I would have just ordered online. :cry: That shipping date is going waaay back.

Thomas, if I can get this straightened out by today, any wild guess if they're still going on the hopeful 25th? Or am I already screwed? By the date on the website it wouldn't arrive at my door for at least 30 days.

Wiggin
11-20-2002, 03:53 PM
Has anyone caught on to another advantage that Dell offers over the competition...namely the Next Biz Day replacement policy??
I once owned a Dell PC and can attest to the their outstanding replacement attitude.
If something goes bump in the night with the new PPCs, it would be pretty nice to know a replacement (if necessary) is only a phone call and a few hours away!
Still love those iPaq's, but hp is still in chase-mode on this one! :?

enemy2k2
11-20-2002, 05:29 PM
@
http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/dell/aximx5/X5-4.htm

for more pictures of Axim and a comparison of how tiny the new 1910 is in comparison or how large the axim is (depending on perspective) go the the main site @

www.pocketpcpassions.com

enemy2k2
11-20-2002, 05:33 PM
saw this @ http://www.brighthand.com/article/BrightBytes_Nov_20

Apparently it's only for previous Dell purchasers. Probably still not available in Canada...

ThomasC22
11-20-2002, 07:03 PM
how do you know it's shipping next week? :?:

Two things:

My personal Dell rep said it would ship on the 25th (Monday)

and

The video at CNet/ZDNet confirms that it will ship next week

Rirath
11-20-2002, 09:45 PM
So much for Dell's legendary customer service. After two days of arguing, I finally got them to admit that $337 request came from them. They faxed a cancel order to the bank. I've reordered with a expected ship date of the 16th. :cry: Hopefully they'll get it right this time around, and it'll go through. :x Even if they do ship out the 25th, I'd say my odds are very slim indeed. :?

Kati Compton
11-21-2002, 12:58 AM
So much for Dell's legendary customer service. After two days of arguing, I finally got them to admit that $337 request came from them. They faxed a cancel order to the bank. I've reordered with a expected ship date of the 16th. :cry: Hopefully they'll get it right this time around, and it'll go through. :x Even if they do ship out the 25th, I'd say my odds are very slim indeed. :?

I would demand that they put you back in the shipping queue where you were before. "After I had to go through all this hassle with you guys charging me extra on my card, then cancelling my order and resubmitting, I would be very disappointed to have to receive it later than I would have if you *hadn't* screwed things up."

Except maybe a teeny bit nicer. Not much, though. I tend to be too nice on the phone because I know that whoever I'm talking to, it's not their particular fault, but then I think they know I'm a pushover and I get screwed.

Rirath
11-21-2002, 12:59 PM
I would demand that they put you back in the shipping queue where you were before. "After I had to go through all this hassle with you guys charging me extra on my card, then cancelling my order and resubmitting, I would be very disappointed to have to receive it later than I would have if you *hadn't* screwed things up."

Tried exactly that. Got the old "first come, first serve" speech. (literally) Tried quite a few times, got no where at all so I gave up and ordered online. I should have to begin with, but oh well. At this point I was glad just to get back in the queue.

Sunnyone
11-21-2002, 03:40 PM
I just checked my order status - now my estimated ship date is 1/6/03. :cry: Has anyone else checked and found a delay on their ship date?

kellys26
11-21-2002, 04:13 PM
I ordered mine on the 19th. It still says shipping on December 13th. I am not very patient and can hardly wait for my new toy!

Today there is a new screen, it now shows a 'Delivery Estimate' of December 18-20. Guess I'll have it for Christmas. Well, I can hope, anyways.

Kelly

Kati Compton
11-21-2002, 05:46 PM

Tried exactly that. Got the old "first come, first serve" speech. (literally) Tried quite a few times, got no where at all so I gave up and ordered online. I should have to begin with, but oh well. At this point I was glad just to get back in the queue.

I would have been pissed with "first come, first serve". You did come first, failed to get served, and so you had to come again!