View Full Version : Pocket PC Demographic: Age

Kati Compton
11-17-2002, 09:47 PM
I'm curious as to the age ranges represented by the subset of Pocket PC owners that are on this board... Feel free to not post "My name is &lt;name> and I am <age> years old!" like we're in kindergarten, but by answering the poll you can satisfy my curiousity without me knowing which age belongs to whom...

I won't answer the poll first, because that would be too obvious. ;)

Rirath
11-17-2002, 10:11 PM
Booyah... 16-20, leadin' the poll. :lol: "impetuous younger"'s unite. Take that various other demographics. :D

Trokair
11-17-2002, 10:13 PM
Aye, I suppose I'll have the second reply in this one. :D

-Kyle

enemy2k2
11-17-2002, 11:13 PM
I do believe we need some more fogeys in here..

Kati Compton
11-17-2002, 11:26 PM
I do believe we need some more fogeys in here..

What age do you consider fogey? ;)

"Old" vs. "Young" is a very relative term - it depends on who you're talking to, who's around, etc. I try to hang out as much as possible with people older than me so I feel young. ;)

I'm going to a rock concert on Thursday where they'll be playing some songs that are older than I am. But I have a hard time when I see people's birthdates that are post REM's "Green". "What do you mean "Stand" was written before you were born???"

I'm in one of the age groups that isn't old enough to have fond memories of bell bottoms from the first time around, but isn't young enough to think that "flared leg" jeans are hip and cool. It certainly makes shopping for jeans a challenge these days.

Steven Cedrone
11-17-2002, 11:52 PM
Ya' know what sucks...

I remember Vietnam..
I remember the Apollo Missions..
I remember Watergate..
I remember "Easy Rider"..
I remember the gas shortages..

Man, I feel old...

Can you guess my age?

Steve

Kati Compton
11-18-2002, 12:09 AM
Man, I feel old...

Can you guess my age?

Steve

Don't feel old. No matter how old you are, there's just about always someone older.

I will guess that you're in the 41-46 range, since if you were younger I don't know that you'd remember the Apollo missions... Certainly nothing wrong with that.

Plus - you're cool enough that you listen to music I do (;)), and because you're older than me, you got to go to concerts that I wasn't able to. :)

Steven Cedrone
11-18-2002, 12:36 AM
Man, I feel old...

Can you guess my age?

Steve

Don't feel old. No matter how old you are, there's just about always someone older.

I will guess that you're in the 41-46 range, since if you were younger I don't know that you'd remember the Apollo missions... Certainly nothing wrong with that.

Plus - you're cool enough that you listen to music I do (;)), and because you're older than me, you got to go to concerts that I wasn't able to. :)

Wrong, good guess though...

Apollo did go through '72. So try again (I was very young, but I do still remember)...

And sorry, but you're cool cause you listen to MY music, not the other way around... :wink:

Steve

Kati Compton
11-18-2002, 12:54 AM
Wrong, good guess though...

Apollo did go through '72. So try again (I was very young, but I do still remember)...

And sorry, but you're cool cause you listen to MY music, not the other way around... :wink:

Heh. The hazards of age-guessing. I'd have to revise you one category younger then. 36-41.

As for me - I'm 26-30. I guess I'm not quite sure what "my" music is... I think I just like other people's. :)

Steven Cedrone
11-18-2002, 01:09 AM
I guess I'm not quite sure what "my" music is... I think I just like other people's. :)

Don't we all? :wink:

Steve

yvilla
11-18-2002, 01:38 AM
So far, I win the "fogey" contest. :wink:

Janak Parekh
11-18-2002, 01:41 AM
Booyah... 16-20, leadin' the poll. :lol: "impetuous younger"'s unite. Take that various other demographics. :D
So I'm in the 21-25 category, and a minority at that 8O

Maybe the "kids" have money from their parents, and 26-30 are financially stable, while all the 21-25 year olds are broke in college. :D

--bdj

Kati Compton
11-18-2002, 01:46 AM
So I'm in the 21-25 category, and a minority at that 8O

Maybe the "kids" have money from their parents, and 26-30 are financially stable, while all the 21-25 year olds are broke in college. :D

--bdj

Could be - but I'm still in grad school...

Janak Parekh
11-18-2002, 01:47 AM
... as am I, among other roles. I'm talking about the undergraduate students who are calling home to have parents wire them money...

--bdj

Kati Compton
11-18-2002, 02:41 AM
... as am I, among other roles. I'm talking about the undergraduate students who are calling home to have parents wire them money...

Ah. What, may I ask, are you studying?

Janak Parekh
11-18-2002, 03:59 AM
I'm a Computer Science Ph.D. student (big shock there). That should narrow the list of candidates down to, say, 150 ;)

You? (Maybe we should ultimately move this to PMs, as it's rapidly getting off-topic... oh wait, we're in the off-topic forum... but this is even off-topic to the thread :))

--bdj

Steven Cedrone
11-18-2002, 04:03 AM
Rock and roll...

I'm not gonna' hastle you...

Steve

Janak Parekh
11-18-2002, 04:10 AM
Rock and roll... I'm not gonna' hastle you...
I was just having fun with the "Off-Topic" concept ;) Also, since PocketPCThoughts gets indexed by Google, I try to keep my psuedonym fairly, well, psuedo. Thank goodness there about 5 different BigDaddyJ's on the net. OTOH, mine is fairly unique among the technical crowd.

--bdj

Kati Compton
11-18-2002, 04:43 AM
I'm a Computer Science Ph.D. student (big shock there). That should narrow the list of candidates down to, say, 150 ;)

You? (Maybe we should ultimately move this to PMs, as it's rapidly getting off-topic... oh wait, we're in the off-topic forum... but this is even off-topic to the thread :))

--bdj

CompE PhD. ;)

disconnected
11-18-2002, 04:51 AM
Another fogey checking in.
The combination of gender and age might be interesting also.

yvilla
11-18-2002, 05:00 AM
Another fogey checking in.

Nice to have a "peer". I was beginning to wonder. :lol:

enemy2k2
11-18-2002, 06:07 AM
about the fogey thing...I was just being a jack ass :oops:

yvilla
11-18-2002, 06:12 AM
about the fogey thing...I was just being a jack ass :oops:

It's ok, enemy2k2. As you can see, we've "embraced" your term. :)

Pony99CA
11-18-2002, 07:22 AM
As for me - I'm 26-30. I guess I'm not quite sure what "my" music is... I think I just like other people's. :)

I'm in my early 40s, and know what my music is -- 70s disco and 80s alternative. However, I like all kinds of stuff -- right now I'm into metal rap like Linkin Park, POD and Kid Rock. Basically I like anything fast and danceable -- so hip hop, techno, electronica, alternative, rock, top 40, etc. are all cool.

What I hate is when someone tries to tell me what "my" music is supposed to be. I was hanging out with this 19-year-old once, and she was playing some music that she liked for me. It was pretty good, but when I wanted to play some 80s music for her, she said she hated 80s music and refused to listen. Then she said that "my" music should be 60s music like the Beatles. Personally, I've never liked most of the Beatles, and wasn't really listening to FM until the late 70s, so the 60s passed me by for the most part.

Oh well. :-)

Steve

Kati Compton
11-18-2002, 07:46 AM
Then she said that "my" music should be 60s music like the Beatles. Personally, I've never liked most of the Beatles, and wasn't really listening to FM until the late 70s, so the 60s passed me by for the most part.

I would think you're on the young side for the original wave of Beatlemania....

Here's the artists in my most frequent WinAmp rotation, when it tends to be a specific album I've noted that. An asterisk means that I've been to a concert, though it may not correspond to the listed album:

Erasure
Yes ****
Depeche Mode *
Eurythmics ("Greatest Hits")
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers *
Paul Simon ("Graceland") *
Indigo Girls
Melissa Etheridge ("Yes I Am")

Other groups/people I like but don't listen to as much:

REM *
U2 ("Joshua Tree")
They Might Be Giants ("Flood")
Information Society ("Information Society")
Jesus Jones ("Doubt")
Genesis
B52s ("Love Shack")
Led Zepplin ("IV")
Jethro Tull ("Greatest Hits")
Travelling Wilburys

I very much like 80's music, and have a sizey collection. Late 60's-70s rock is awesome. I used to say I didn't like disco, but that isn't quite true given that I really like Erasure's Abba covers. I think though that I prefer that style of an implementation of it a lot more. I like folk, but not bluegrass or the country "twang".

My most recent favorite album, though, is Loreena McKennitt's Book of Secrets. Others I'm starting to add to my rotation are Greatest Hits albums from Emerson Lake and Palmer and Kansas. For Chrismas I'm hoping to get some Spanish guitar CDs. I think my interests are at least a little varied... ;)

Kati Compton
11-18-2002, 07:57 AM
So I'm 26. My parents are 50-60 range. This has had a surprising effect in that my parents were much much "cooler" than I was at the same relative age. Riding around in matching leather jackets on a motorcycle.... Going to Led Zepplin concerts that were so loud they had to stuff cigarette butts in their ears...etc. My mother took me to the Tom Petty concert. My father to the Paul Simon concert. One isn't supposed to go to concerts with their parents, are they? :)

What does one do to rebel against those who were better "rebels" than I could ever be?

They've had a couple different jobs, but now they're each their own type of artist, one a painter the other a photographer. So me? I'm a computer engineering grad student who's never really done anything "bad" I suppose that's my rebelling. Seems pretty lame, though!

Anyone else &lt;30 with a similar experience, or is it just me? :)

enemy2k2
11-18-2002, 08:16 AM
I'm 25 and I love all 80s music. My favourite stuff, bar none. Some of the early to mid 90s stuff go down well with me as well. But the 80s were just something else! There's some fairly good music coming out now as well.

Coralie
11-18-2002, 12:31 PM
I guess I'm not quite sure what "my" music is... I think I just like other people's. :)
heh .. me too. i'll listen to almost anything, as long as it's performed well.

The combination of gender and age might be interesting also.
from what i can tell, there tend to be far fewer girls hanging out in this forum. i guess that goes with the trend of there being far fewer girls that like computing, gadgets etc. i'm in IT &amp; there are very few girls doing IT.

i have one girlfriend (i.e. a friend who is a girl, i don't mean that she's my 'girlfriend' .. :lol:) who shares my love of computers/internet/gadgetry. she does webdesign too &amp; runs a very successful website, but i think we're far &amp; few between. i carry more gadgetry on me than girlie stuff. in fact, the only girlie stuff i carry on me is a bit of lip balm, non coloured. &lt;/ramble>

i wonder, are kati &amp; i the only two girls around here? it's hard to tell sometimes with the variety of nicks that are used.

oh .. &amp; i'm 30 .. &amp; a girl, in case you didn't already catch on to that. :lol:

yvilla
11-18-2002, 02:18 PM
Anyone else &lt;30 with a similar experience, or is it just me? :)

Kati: I'm your parents' counterpart. I was a "barefoot wanderer" in the late sixties, and when my son was growing up in the seventies (and to this day still!), I could not imagine how I could possibly have a child with such a capitalist/entrepreneur mentality. I guess that's how he rebeled. :lol:

yvilla
11-18-2002, 02:22 PM
i wonder, are kati & i the only two girls around here? it's hard to tell sometimes with the variety of nicks that are used.

I'm here too. And have been silently chuckling at the rather male bias for almost two years. :wink:

Janak Parekh
11-18-2002, 04:07 PM
CompE PhD. ;)
Hah! I know my share of CompE PhD's here. We have our little ribbing fun as to who's superior, CS or CE.

Jesus Jones ("Doubt")
Someone else actually still owns this album? I thought I was one of the last 5. (Now, I bet you don't own "London" :D)

I'm a computer engineering grad student who's never really done anything "bad" I suppose that's my rebelling. Seems pretty lame, though!
So my parents are the antithesis of yours - both immigrants, worked hard, still work hard. And I follow the same model, more or less. So I'm even less of a rebel than you are. ;)

However, I like all kinds of stuff -- right now I'm into metal rap like Linkin Park, POD and Kid Rock.
It's good that there are people in this world that keep open minds to music. My former boss from a place I was working downtown was also in his 40's and was a big Tool/A Perfect Circle fan. I have to say that's an effective managerial trick - one way to bond with your younger employees is to share interests...

I've also tried to keep an open mind musically. I wasn't much into Led Zeppelin 5 years ago, and it's still not my favorite, but I can really enjoy it nowadays. Now, the question is, does anyone else listen to classical music? :)

--bdj

Rirath
11-18-2002, 06:57 PM
Classical, opera, rock, japanese, rap, techno... my Winamp list is quite random.

Kati Compton
11-18-2002, 08:16 PM
CompE PhD. ;)
Hah! I know my share of CompE PhD's here. We have our little ribbing fun as to who's superior, CS or CE.

I think solving that debate is about as likely as proving P=NP. :)

I have to say that's an effective managerial trick - one way to bond with your younger employees is to share interests...

Is that why my advisor has a bunch of Spawn action figures, slinkys, and Looney Toons memorabilia around the office? :)

I've also tried to keep an open mind musically. I wasn't much into Led Zeppelin 5 years ago, and it's still not my favorite, but I can really enjoy it nowadays. Now, the question is, does anyone else listen to classical music? :)

I do, but I can't claim to know anything about it.

Janak Parekh
11-18-2002, 08:52 PM
I think solving that debate is about as likely as proving P=NP. :)
No it's not -- CS is obviously superior :lol: (Nevermind that without EE and CE graduates we wouldn't have computers to work on...)

Is that why my advisor has a bunch of Spawn action figures, slinkys, and Looney Toons memorabilia around the office? :)
Either that, or they have offspring, or they need help? My advisor has a 9-year-old son...

There's a positive start ;)

--bdj

p.s. What's your thesis topic?

Kati Compton
11-18-2002, 08:57 PM
Either that, or they have offspring, or they need help? My advisor has a 9-year-old son...

The toys came before the kids.

p.s. What's your thesis topic?

It's in the area of reconfigurable computing (ie, use of programmable hardware (similar to FPGAs) to accelerate computing).

And you?

Coralie
11-18-2002, 10:04 PM
Now, the question is, does anyone else listen to classical music? :)

i have to agree with kati again. some classical music gives me shivers up & down my spine & makes all the hair on my body stand on end. it's my body's way of telling me that i'm listening to something in the realm of brilliance. there are only a few pieces of music (contemporary & classical) that do that for me.

i have a penchant for collecting good sound tracks from movies. i don't have a lot, but the ones i currently enjoy are from 'when harry met sally', 'the time machine' (the most recent version, that is) & 'a brilliant mind'. perhaps music composed for movies could be considered contempory classical?

gosh .. this topic is really rambling isn't it? i'm not complaining, i'm quite enjoying it. we're getting to know a little bit about each other here. oh no!! it's that social interaction thing again! :wink: :lol:

Janak Parekh
11-18-2002, 10:10 PM
And you?
Check your PM box :)

Back on the topic, I do notice my age group finally catching up! :D It would be interesting, a la Slashdot, to do a couple of PPCThoughts population distribution polls.

--bdj

disconnected
11-19-2002, 04:05 AM
Also female.
I guess we're not so outnumbered as I thought. :D

Kati Compton
11-19-2002, 04:18 AM
Also female.
I guess we're not so outnumbered as I thought. :D

And I've seen someone with the handle "pdagirl", although that culd be a misnomer for all I know. ;)

Santa Fe
11-20-2002, 05:36 PM
Another year and I'll be 60. Where did the time go. Better get off the computer and go ride.

Busdriver
11-22-2002, 07:21 PM
47 today. I had a Fortran programming class in college and we used punch cards! Oh, the horror.......... 8O

Kati Compton
11-22-2002, 07:48 PM
47 today. I had a Fortran programming class in college and we used punch cards! Oh, the horror.......... 8O

Happy birthday!

ECOslin
11-22-2002, 08:25 PM
Happy Birthday, we'll put on some music.(Top hits from when you were 18 and knew there was hope in the world.)

1. Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'Round The Ole Oak Tree, Tony Orlando & Dawn

2. Bad Bad Leroy Brown, Jim Croce

3. Killing Me Softly With His Song, Roberta Flack

4. Let's Get It On, Marvin Gaye

5. My Love, Paul McCartney & Wings

6. Why Me, Kris Kristofferson

7. Crocodile Rock, Elton John

8. Will It Go Round In Circles, Billy Preston

9. You're So Vain, Carly Simon

10. Touch Me In The Morning, Diana Ross

Edward :wink:

Busdriver
11-22-2002, 08:44 PM
1. Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'Round The Ole Oak Tree, Tony Orlando & Dawn

2. Bad Bad Leroy Brown, Jim Croce

3. Killing Me Softly With His Song, Roberta Flack

4. Let's Get It On, Marvin Gaye

5. My Love, Paul McCartney & Wings

6. Why Me, Kris Kristofferson

7. Crocodile Rock, Elton John

8. Will It Go Round In Circles, Billy Preston

9. You're So Vain, Carly Simon

10. Touch Me In The Morning, Diana Ross
I remember all of those except 6. Perhaps I would recall it if I heard it. This is a 1973 list. Brings back memories.

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Jonathon Watkins
11-29-2002, 09:34 PM
Well, in the next few days I will no longer be in my 20's. :cry: I is getting old!

I do like most of your music though Kati. I usually set MusicMatch to 'Play your library', which gives an pleasing random feel to the aural entertainment. :wink:

Kati Compton
11-29-2002, 11:36 PM
Well, in the next few days I will no longer be in my 20's. :cry: I is getting old!

I do like most of your music though Kati. I usually set MusicMatch to 'Play your library', which gives an pleasing random feel to the aural entertainment. :wink:

As in play *your* library, or play *my* library? :)

Janak Parekh
11-30-2002, 03:03 AM
Well, if it's the latter, you'd better check your computer's security. Oh, wait, I just got in. Hmm. Looks like there's nothing left. ;)

On a "random" note: I used to play my MP3 tracks randomly (for popular music, not classical), but a friend of mine introduced me to the joys of full-album listening. It's amazing to see how many albums are designed to be played all the way through. Unless it's a one-hit wonder group, but I haven't been bitten by one of those for a few years now (due to my two-song rule ;))

--bdj

Kati Compton
11-30-2002, 03:40 AM
Well, if it's the latter, you'd better check your computer's security. Oh, wait, I just got in. Hmm. Looks like there's nothing left. ;)

On a "random" note: I used to play my MP3 tracks randomly (for popular music, not classical), but a friend of mine introduced me to the joys of full-album listening. It's amazing to see how many albums are designed to be played all the way through. Unless it's a one-hit wonder group, but I haven't been bitten by one of those for a few years now (due to my two-song rule ;))

--bdj

Hehehe. :) Of the groups I listen to, Yes in particular does the "album arranged how you should listen" thing. I believe Genesis does as well.

Steven Cedrone
11-30-2002, 03:44 AM
Hehehe. :) Of the groups I listen to, Yes in particular does the "album arranged how you should listen" thing. I believe Genesis does as well.

BTW, how was the Yes concert??? Oh, and did you hold up your Pocket PC instead of a lighter???

Steve

Kati Compton
11-30-2002, 04:12 AM

BTW, how was the Yes concert??? Oh, and did you hold up your Pocket PC instead of a lighter???

Steve

The Yes concert was very good. ESPECIALLY to see Rick Wakeman, who I'd never seen in concert before (:(). He's AMAZING. Playing keyboards behind his back, jumping from keyboard to keyboard, stretching between keyboards to play one with each hand... The part I liked best is when his right hand would be playing something, he'd switch to playing that same part with his left hand (using the same keys his right hand was) in order to use the right hand somewhere else, and not miss a single note. I was also surprised by the amount of time he actually was playing one-handed, as it sounded like at least 2 hands on anyone else.

Jon's voice is starting to go, I think. It took him 2-3 songs to warm up. They had a local school chorus (13-18 year olds) come on and sing "Nine Voices" with the band. They were pretty good, but Jon was actually missing a lot of the notes/words (it's not a scheduled part of the concert).

It was really cool to hear Don't Kill The Whale and South Side of the Sky (both done very nicely). We Have Heaven didn't work so well in concert, but it was nice that they tried.

The second half of Heart of the Sunrise might have been the best I've heard. Nothing can beat the first half from the first Yes concert I was at for the Open Your Eyes tour, though. In that concert they pushed the main riff for a good 2-3 more renditions than it's "supposed" to be with the bass WAY up. It was AWESOME.

The light show was kinda lame - it was basically a WinAmp plugin being projected onto a sheet behind them (a bit fancier than that, but basically...)

3/5 of the band have gray hair now. I think the other 2 are dying their hair blond. 2/5 are wearing glasses (Howe/Wakeman). In Wakeman's case, though, I think it was so that he could read all the music he had to play that he wasn't familiar with (the songs from 'Magnification'). He did have to replace a whole orchestra for those - just him and his 10-12 keyboards. ;) Oh - and he didn't wear a cape, but he wore a black sparkly "duster"-type jacket. (floor length).

Chris Squire had a Marilyn Monroe -style fan blowing upwards at him the whole time. Somewhat weird. At least his shirt didn't blow above his waist... He also wore bright red socks.

Awaken was really good - much better than when we heard it in 99.

Close to the Edge was also very good. But I was stunned that when it started people in the audience got up to go to the bathroom. I guess they figured it would take 20 minutes, so they had time to go and would know they wouldn't miss anything else... but STILL....

The theatre was quite full - I didn't see any noticeable empty seats. The only seats that might not have been sold are the ones you probably shouldn't sit in anyway.

I was VERY surprised that they didn't play Roundabout in the encore. It's the first time I've gone to a Yes concert without it. We did get Starship Trooper, which I've heard live less often, so I was *satisfied*, but it just felt strange. I think they're getting a little too tired for 2 encores....

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Feel free to ask either here or in PM if you have a more specific question, btw. :)

Steven Cedrone
11-30-2002, 04:38 AM
Wow, no Roundabout?. I guess there is a time to call it quits, they must be getting close (As a group, but not as individuals)...

Thanks for the "review", kinda sorry I asked (not because of your reply, but because what you had to say kinda' depressed me)...

Steve

BTW, did they open with Siberian Khatru?

Kati Compton
11-30-2002, 04:58 AM
Wow, no Roundabout?. I guess there is a time to call it quits, they must be getting close (As a group, but not as individuals)...

Thanks for the "review", kinda sorry I asked (not because of your reply, but because what you had to say kinda' depressed me)...

They're still good. And frankly, I don't know that *I* would have enough energy to play/sing Roundabout and Starship Trooper at the end there after the rest of the concert. (Yet another reason why I'm not famous, I supppose... ;)) So they may not be in their prime in terms of endurance, but they're still as much of rock stars as they were, and have just as much energy for the songs they *do* perform. It's not many bands than can play a 20 minute song routinely in concert.

BTW, did they open with Siberian Khatru?

Yep - after Firebird Suite finished. :)

Steven Cedrone
11-30-2002, 05:15 AM
Yep - after Firebird Suite finished. :)

Cool, some things will never change!!!

I don't mean to come accross saying they should retire (well, I guess it souded exactly like that :oops: )...Like I said before, they are one of the few groups that you can go see, that sound exactly the way they do on vinyl/CD...I suppose I could excuse them for not doing three or four twenty minute encores given their age :wink:

Steve

Jonathon Watkins
12-02-2002, 12:57 AM
'My Computer' or 'Your Computer'? :wink: It would be good if we could share music more to hear differnt groups. Ah - I think Napster got there first. :wink: I do own 98% of the music I have in MP3 format however. Napster was good for getting hold of tracks that were screatched on my CDs.

I saw Genesis a few years back - such a pitty that Peter Gabriel left before I was walking. :? 'The lamb lies down on Broadway' is such a great album! I've not really heard much Yes myself.

Kati Compton
12-02-2002, 01:02 AM
I saw Genesis a few years back - such a pitty that Peter Gabriel left before I was walking. :? 'The lamb lies down on Broadway' is such a great album! I've not really heard much Yes myself.

We had tickets for the Calling All Stations tour, but it was cancelled, so we were out the $10/ticket TicketB*st*rd fee. :(