View Full Version : Poll: iPAQ 1910 vs Dell

jizmo
11-15-2002, 10:37 AM
So .. Which one you'd get it you had to choose from either one?

The launch is next monday and they'll both fight for the low-end PPC market share.

Is iPAQ worth the extra $100? Are the features of 1910 (screen, materials etc) worth the money? Or do you feel that HP just cashes on the iPAQ brand name?

I myself really don't know which way to take yet. Both have removable batteries, which is essential to me, but at the end I really think it boils down to looks and feel of the PDA. If Dell's PPC is much more bulkier, heavier and the screen looks worse, I'll spend the extra cash on iPAQ.

/jizmo

Rirath
11-15-2002, 03:11 PM
Yet another case of a person willing to spend more, and receive less. The $299 ($350) Dell and the $199 ($250) Dell beat this Ipaq in every stat imaginable. The processor has twice the clock speed, two slots instead of one, and the price is even lower. The only thing you gain is a smaller device. Unless (God forbid) Dell does something absolutely horribly wrong with this Dell, I'm amazed anyone will pay more to get less. Not just with this, but with all the other bargin PPC's as well. This one however, a 200mhz Xscale? You'd rather pay more to get half the clock speed? The v35 is only 300mhz, and even that has this beat. I just simply don't get it.

Mike Temporale
11-15-2002, 03:17 PM
I haven't really decided which new device I'll be getting. I do feel it's time to upgrade from my iPAQ 3650. Any chance someone could post a chart comparing the features across all these new devices? (including the romured devices from samsung, etc...) It would be really handy to have a quick ref for all these new devices.

Rirath
11-15-2002, 03:30 PM
Here's some basic info... perhaps some of you don't know the specs yet. Pay close attention to the detail folks and watch all the fuss that's being made about 2.7 oz and 0.2 x 0.2 x 0.3 differences (Axim vs V35). For this people are willing to ignore price, 100-200mhz faster clock speeds, and a Compact Flash slot. Incredible. :?
---
Axim X5 (Dell)
---

Price - $349 /w $50 rebate, $249 /w $50 rebate ($299, $199)

196g (6.9 oz)
128 x 81.5 x 18mm (5" x 3.2" x 0.7")
Power Button, 4 Application Keys, 5-way Navigator Button, Scroll Dial, Record Button, Headphone mini-jack

Microsoft Pocket PC 2002 Premium
Intel Xscale Processor at 400MHz or 300MHz
Brilliant 3.5" TFT 240x320 QVGA 65K Color Transflective LCD 64MB SDRAM
or 32MB SDRAM 48MB or 32MB Intel StrataFlash ROM
1 CompactFlash Type II Slot
1 Secure Digital / MMC Memory Slot
IrDA port
1440mAh Li-Ion Removable Battery with Backup Battery
Built-in Microphone & Speaker
2 LED's
Bluetooth supported via CompactFlash Type II Card
Wi-Fi 802.11b supported via CompactFlash Type II Card
Cradle with 2nd primary battery charging slot
Ships with Cradle or Synch Cable, AC Adapter, Protective Jacket, Extra
Stylus, System Documentation, Companion CD (SW Apps & Docs)

$299 Axim X5
400MHz Xscale
64MB SDRAM
48MB flash ROM
USB or serial synch cradle

$199 Axim X5
300MHz Xscale
32MB SDRAM
32MB flash ROM
USB or serial synch CABLE (cradle available as an upsell for this unit)

---
V35
---

Price (about) $300

Processor Powerful 300MHz Intel XScale™
Operating System Microsoft® Pocket PC 2002 Premium Edition
Memory 32MB ROM and 64MB SDRAM
Battery Long-life lithium-ion battery lasts up to 10 hours.
320x240 resolution

4-programmable buttons. Also scroll through and access files and menus with the integrated jog dial.

E-mail Read and respond to e-mail while on the go.* Microsoft® Pocket Outlook® provides full support for POP3 or IMAP4 e-mail including HTML messages, meeting requests, Word, PowerPoint® and Excel attachments, plus voice messages.

Optional accessories available from ViewSonic Foldable keyboard
Cradle Power adapters Stylus Screen protectors Travel kit (includes synchronization cable, power adapter) USB syncronization cable

1 Secure Digital Slot

4.2 ounces (119 grams). In comparison, the iPAQ 3650 weighs 6.3 ounces

In terms of dimensions, it's 4.8" (H) x 3.0" (W) x.4" (D).

---
Ipaq 1910
---

price (about) $319

OS provided Microsoft Pocket PC 2002
Installed RAM 64 MB
ROM installed (max) 16 MB Flash
Weight 4.2 oz
Width 2.8 in
Depth 0.5 in
Height 4.5 in
Input device type Touch-screen
Audio input Microphone
Audio output Speaker(s)
Digital audio standards supported MP3, WMA
Processor Intel PXA250 200 MHz
Package contents H1910 handheld, 1 x Lithium Ion battery, 1 x USB cable, power adapter, charging adapter, user guide, HP iPaq Pocket PC Companion CD
Display
Display type 3.5 in transreflective color TFT
Color support 16-bit (64K colors)
Max resolution 320 x 240
Backlit display? Yes
Expansion/Connectivity
Connectivity device(s) included Docking cradle
Expansion slot [/b]1 Secure Digital[/b]
Power
Battery installed (max) 1 x Lithium Ion battery
Power supply included Power adapter - external

---
Ipaq 5450
---

Price (about) - $719

OS provided Microsoft Pocket PC 2002
Installed RAM 64 MB
ROM installed (max) 48 MB Flash
Weight 7.1 oz
Input device type Touch-screen
Software included Calendar, Contacts, Task, Voice Recorder, Notes, Pocket Word, Pocket Excel, Pocket Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player 8, Calculator, Solitaire, Inbox, Microsoft Reader, File Explorer, MSN Messenger, Terminal Services Client, VPN Client
Audio input Microphone
Audio output Speaker(s)
Processor Intel XScale 400 MHz
Display
Display type 3.8 in transreflective TFT
Color support 16-bit (65K colors)
Max resolution 320 x 240
Expansion/Connectivity
Connectivity device(s) included Docking cradle
Expansion slot 1 x Secure Digital
Wireless connectivity Bluetooth
Power
Battery installed (max) 1 x Lithium Ion battery
Power supply included Power adapter - external

enemy2k2
11-15-2002, 05:07 PM
Pay close attention to the detail folks and watch all the fuss that's being made about 2.7 oz and 0.2 x 0.2 x 0.3 differences (Axim vs V35).

That's almost enough weight for an entire proposed samsung/ms pda! 8O :twisted:

Jason Dunn
11-15-2002, 05:13 PM
Let's not forget that most of you haven't seen either device - I haven't - but the way a device looks and feels is a very important part of the buying decision.

xbalance
11-15-2002, 05:48 PM
I am in the Dell camp, today. I can not figure out why anyone would spend the same amount for the HP 1910 as the View Sonic or the Dell.

This thing is a total dud on paper.

Whatever, Happy Friday :beer:

jizmo
11-15-2002, 05:51 PM
That's right, Jason.

There's always some Voodoo kind of magic involved in buying decisions. If the device just doesn't feel right in one's palm, it may affect the buying decision greatly.

I remember having to choose from buying an iPAQ or Jornada, and I went with iPAQ just because I just felt right home with it

/jizmo

jizmo
11-15-2002, 06:03 PM
+Rirath,

Great summary on these three devices .. :wink:

Dell has a 1440mAh Li-Ion Removable Battery? How about HP's iPAQ? If they're going again for the 900mAh battery, it's really going to be a final blow below the belt :roll:

/jizmo

Rirath
11-15-2002, 06:20 PM
Thanks, all the stats were stolen from various posts from Jason and crew. Spiffy search engine. I tried to get all the latest info and avoid the rumors, I think the above is quite solid stuff. I really hope you all aren't getting the idea I'm being unjust or something to the Ipaq and such... but the poll is 18 Dell vs 2 Ipaq at the moment. I don't think I'm alone here.

Jason Dunn
11-15-2002, 07:04 PM
There's always some Voodoo kind of magic involved in buying decisions. If the device just doesn't feel right in one's palm, it may affect the buying decision greatly.

I've heard from several MS people that the HP 1910 is VERY small and really great looking. Regardless of whether the Dell out-specs it, that may be a factor in their buying decision.

vincentsiaw
11-16-2002, 04:30 AM
a bulk size but powerful, small,beautiful but not so powerfull, man tough choice, makes me wonder, smart& not so beautiful, or not really smart but beautiful? hmm tough choice

Kati Compton
11-16-2002, 04:37 AM
a bulk size but powerful, small,beautiful but not so powerfull, man tough choice, makes me wonder, smart& not so beautiful, or not really smart but beautiful? hmm tough choice

And if movies and TV have taught me anything, the smart Dell will one day take off her glasses, let down her hair and shake it out dramatically, and suddenly be even more beautiful than the iPaq. ;)

Rirath
11-16-2002, 06:07 AM
Booyah! Well said Kati. Though, I think she's beautiful as is! :cry:
I don't an anorectic super model PPC that's as thick as the flipcover to my Jornada. :lol:

takotchi
11-16-2002, 07:54 AM
And if movies and TV have taught me anything, the smart Dell will one day take off her glasses, let down her hair and shake it out dramatically, and suddenly be even more beautiful than the iPaq.

I equate this to the Axim owners being able to upgrade to the next PPC OS, and the 1910 owners left in the dust with the paltry 16MB of ROM.

enemy2k2
11-16-2002, 08:01 PM
Good analogy guys. Only if you notice in those movies and shows that the basics are already there, nice frame, unblemished skin, symmetry etc - basically all the right stuff, just slightly off packaging. Hopefully the Dell will be like this and not some fake implanted liposuctioned freak 8O I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed.

Kati Compton
11-16-2002, 09:04 PM
Good analogy guys. Only if you notice in those movies and shows that the basics are already there, nice frame, unblemished skin, symmetry etc - basically all the right stuff, just slightly off packaging. Hopefully the Dell will be like this and not some fake implanted liposuctioned freak 8O I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed.

I have to say, though (knowing I haven't seen an *actual* unit), that I prefer the Toshiba rectangularness to the taper on the Dell. Maybe I'll feel differently when I see one in person. To me, the Toshibas are the best looking Pocket PCs, although I haven't seen a real-life Viewsonic either. I can't help it - for computery things I like boxy. The weird alien-shaped Compaq desktops or whatever they were doing a couple years ago were so much not for me.

enemy2k2
11-17-2002, 03:19 AM
I love the E-310, but I absolutely detest the price. I wish I could have bought it for the $200 that americans were able to get them for, I heard some people even managed to get them for $150. They're only down to $399CAD here in Canada, so I figure I may as well go for the next generation and with superior features. From what I saw of the E-310 though, it was perfect. Heavy metal chassis, very lithe and austere good looks. Extremely slim. Just had a feeling of quality, even the IPaq couldn't match the feeling I got from it. I thought the screen was excellent, I find it hard to believe they can be even better than that, but I'll wait and see with the Dell :D Curves on hardware also give me the impression of wasted space. But the Dell looks nicely fitted for handheld use. Either way, I'm pretty much sold on the Dell...

jizmo
11-17-2002, 12:33 PM
Judging from pictures, Dell has the kind of look in design, that even if it would be the smallest and thinnest PPC out there, it'd still look kind of bulky, sadly.

I'm kind of a vain person when it comes to looks and I still don't think that Dell would be my cup of tea, even thought it is the most obvious choise when judging by price and features.

I suppose I have to get to hold one in my hand to get the actual feel of the device. I might fall for its personal look over the 'prettier' devices. I really can't wait for the actual reviews.. :P

/jizmo

Rirath
11-17-2002, 01:17 PM
I can't wait for anything. There's been no real news about the Dell or anything else for quite some time now. One more day...

Kati Compton
11-17-2002, 06:04 PM
Judging from pictures, Dell has the kind of look in design, that even if it would be the smallest and thinnest PPC out there, it'd still look kind of bulky, sadly.

It's the fact that it's slimmer on the bottom. I think it fools you into thinking it'll be thin, then you're disappointed when you see the top that it's bigger. Pot-bellied PDA.

enemy2k2
11-17-2002, 08:32 PM
I'm with Rirath, the impetuous youngster. Though ThomasC22 has some news regarding the next ROM which he'll reveal on the 18th which may just make me think twice regarding which model. You're going for the higher one, so you're safe. My choice lies between the two, just want to make the right one.

Rirath
11-17-2002, 09:12 PM
I'm with Rirath, the impetuous youngster. Though ThomasC22 has some news regarding the next ROM which he'll reveal on the 18th which may just make me think twice regarding which model. You're going for the higher one, so you're safe.

The impetuous youngster... hmm, that's a new one. :? Fitting to a point, but I'm far more lazy and apathetic than impetuous makes me sound. I prefer disgruntled. And youngster is a relative term. As for the ROM... Sounds like the rumors that's been going around for quite some time now about the next OS not fitting into 32mb rom, or something to that extent.

enemy2k2
11-17-2002, 09:26 PM
So it won't fit into the promised 24MB? That still leaves 8MB to go until the 32MB barrier... Why would viewsonic release the v35 with only 32MB ROM then, considering it's their only model? The newly released Toshiba E330 and E740 both only have 32MB ROM. I am now royally confused. Where are these rumours coming from? I wish their some way to substantiate this. Why does MS have to pull these type of stunts even in the PPC world?

Rirath
11-17-2002, 09:30 PM
Only rumors, breathe man, breathe. :lol: I have no inside info and/or knowledge. I wouldn't be surprised though. As for why companies would release 32mb and under machines... Well, I think they've shown specs are not their main concern on bargain PPCs. And I think the buyers on this forum have shown they don't mind. A complete guess might be a lower end less frills version. At any rate, probably all untrue but who knows. Hopefully we'll see some news tomorrow.

enemy2k2
11-17-2002, 10:57 PM
How much loyalty do these guys expect when they're never straight with anyone, ever? For me PPC is the only game in town, Palm is content to rest on their laurels and gouge their customers for their substandard offerings and ageing tehcnology. While MS is pretty much pimping hardware vendors (and believe me, they need it), someone needs to pimp MS too I believe. I may just wait until tomorrow morning to make my order to hear what the news is. I definitely don't want to purchase something which I'm not going to be happy with a mere six months down the road, or that isn't compatible with an upgraded OS. I really would like to hear the truth for once.

Kati Compton
11-17-2002, 11:38 PM
How much loyalty do these guys expect when they're never straight with anyone, ever? For me PPC is the only game in town, Palm is content to rest on their laurels and gouge their customers for their substandard offerings and ageing tehcnology. While MS is pretty much pimping hardware vendors (and believe me, they need it), someone needs to pimp MS too I believe. I may just wait until tomorrow morning to make my order to hear what the news is. I definitely don't want to purchase something which I'm not going to be happy with a mere six months down the road, or that isn't compatible with an upgraded OS. I really would like to hear the truth for once.

Keep in mind that the "news" may not include news of whether or not Pocket PC 2003 requires more than 32 megs of ROM. I think that we got a hint, but that that particular tidbit isn't actually something that will be revealed until Micros0ft makes an annoucement about it.

enemy2k2
11-18-2002, 12:40 AM
son of a gun...

Janak Parekh
11-18-2002, 01:53 AM
I may just wait until tomorrow morning to make my order to hear what the news is.
... another reason to wait until tomorrow: it's not like your order is going to be processed today :D

I wouldn't worry too much about PPC2003. On the other hand, I was the happy one being able to upgrade my 3650 to 2002. I'm hoping the 48MB of ROM the 5450 has is going to be a good solution to support 2003 or whatever the next version is. I'll be waiting till tomorrow too to hear the announcement :)

--bdj