View Full Version : Toshiba Releases EUU3

Jason Dunn
11-15-2002, 05:13 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlViewDL.jsp?soid=311178&moid=210663&BV_SessionID=@@@@1719586040.1037326670@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfadcgkdljklkcgfkceghdgngdgll.0&ct=DL' target='_blank'>http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...gngdgll.0&ct=DL</a><br /><br /></div>Ding-ding-ding...come and get it! It looks like the wait was worth it - there's quite a few Toshiba-specific fixes here. Let me know how it works out for you!<br /><br /><b>Fixes</b><br /><br />• Corrected an issue where WiFi required approximately 5 minutes to obtain new DHCP-supplied IP address when moving from one WiFi network to another. <br />• Corrected an issue where Pocket Internet Explorer could not access Hotmail and other secure web sites without first downloading and installing High Encryption Software. <br />• Corrected a server synchronization issue. <br />• Corrected an issue where the battery pack lock did not turn off unit before battery can be removed. <br />• Corrected an issue where a false low battery message appears when the main battery falls to around 50% remaining. <br />• Corrected an issue where it was impossible to begin Chat using a Bluetooth SD Card without first downloading and installing a registry patch. <br />• Corrected an issue where data written to the 340MB IBM MicroDrive could be corrupted when the WiFi antenna switch was on. <br />• Corrected an issue that caused poor video display performance. <br /><br /><b>Enhancements</b><br /><br />• Improved system performance <br />• New Media Player with much better performance and a new skin <br />• New Today theme and new branding <br />• Pocket Internet Explorer now supports the Tab key

pschultz
11-15-2002, 05:20 AM
I hope HP releases the EUU3 for the 3800 series soon.

sgyee
11-15-2002, 05:26 AM
I just sent that in...that was quick !

ThomasC22
11-15-2002, 05:26 AM
• Corrected an issue that caused poor video display performance.

This is the one that interests me...I'll load it on my e740 and then we'll see!

Jeff Rutledge
11-15-2002, 05:38 AM

Ditto. Does anybody have any inside info, scoop, rumour on when that might be. Heck, just make something up if you don't know. I've been waiting for too long!

gliscameria
11-15-2002, 05:39 AM
lal la la la.... backing up to CF.....

only takes 30mins! la la la.......

Jason Dunn
11-15-2002, 05:41 AM

30 minutes? Yowzers! You need to try this app:

http://www.spritesoftware.com/home.html

It's killer - very, very cool.

But I'd do a hard reset after installing EUU3 anyway, just to be on the safe side. That's just me though. :-)

gliscameria
11-15-2002, 06:51 AM
Do not run this update.

"The Update Image does not match your PDA's model." -error when trying to update.

Called tech support............. (ie-waste of time)

Basically said that the update is not supposed to be on the page yet, and to just send the thing it and have them update it.

So, unless you're feeling lucky, I would not recommend the update.

Richjn
11-15-2002, 06:59 AM
Hmm!! Just tried to install update on my UK version 740 with bluetooth. Update justs stops responding on initial contact to pda. Notice that there is no mention of the update on the UK Toshiba site maybe it's not compatable for UK devices ?

ThomasC22
11-15-2002, 08:19 AM
me thinks these massive upgrade failings are probably front page worthy...

NLS
11-15-2002, 08:44 AM
Does this include the new ATI BIOS or not???

jeremyweisser
11-15-2002, 10:23 AM
Update went perfectly, not a single issue so far. Noticing slight performance gain and the update fixed a few issues that I have been having since day one, including the wierd graphic problem in MSN messenger. Oh yeah the new WM player looks pretty cool so far.

Pony99CA
11-15-2002, 10:24 AM

Ditto. Does anybody have any inside info, scoop, rumour on when that might be. Heck, just make something up if you don't know. I've been waiting for too long!
I'd like this, too, but maybe HP has been too busy with the 1910 and 5450. :-)

Steve

NLS
11-15-2002, 10:27 AM

ahem... anybody?

Pony99CA
11-15-2002, 10:40 AM

ahem... anybody?
Geez, give people a chance. You posted your question less than 1:45 ago, and not everybody is up at this time to answer. :-)

If you really have to know this, why not call Toshiba's tech support? I'm not a Toshiba user, but the EUU3 said it fixed video performance, so maybe there's video driver/BIOS update.

Steve

Pony99CA
11-15-2002, 10:47 AM

Be glad you're not backing up to an SD card. :-)

On my iPAQ 3870, using the Compaq backup utility took an hour or more, I think (I forget exactly how long). :-( That may be because the 3800 series supposedly transfers in MMC compatibility mode, which is 4x slower, and I'm using a 128 MB SD card, which is supposedly 5x slower than a 256 MB card.

Steve

Dave Beauvais
11-15-2002, 11:31 AM
On my main system, a Dell laptop running WinXP Pro, I got the "hey this doesn't match your Pocket PC" error. I spent about three hours f... fighting with it and finally got it to work. But not on that system. I ended up installing ActiveStink 3.6 on a Windows 2000 Pro workstation that has never had a Pocket PC or any related software installed on it before. After I successfully connected the e740 for the first time, the ROM update worked just fine. It took about 1.75 minutes to copy the update to the e740 and another 4.25 minutes for it to actually install on the device. The next step was to update the bootloader, which was nearly instantaneous.

Once I got past the error, the upgrade was pretty painless. After all the time spent experimenting with it, I have some ideas now about how I could have probably gotten it to work on the laptop without having to put ActiveStink on a "virgin" system. I'm too damn tired now to think straight about it, though, so I'll post after I get some sleep if anyone's interested.

--Dave

Richjn
11-15-2002, 11:31 AM
:D Just had a coffee came back and upgrade went fine. Durr!! not sure what I did wrong before but alls well video definantly better now.

Ed Hansberry
11-15-2002, 01:55 PM

On my iPAQ 3870, using the Compaq backup utility took an hour or more, I think (I forget exactly how long). :-( That may be because the 3800 series supposedly transfers in MMC compatibility mode, which is 4x slower, and I'm using a 128 MB SD card, which is supposedly 5x slower than a 256 MB card.

Steve
No, that is the pathetic Compaq backup utility. I got SpriteBackup from http://www.spritesoftware.com//backup for my 3800 and the backup went from 30 minutes to 7-8. The 3900's come with this backup in ROM. It is very cool. Also allows you to schedule backups, backup when the battery gets to X% (though with this feature enabled your PDA will wake up and go back to sleep during the day checking the battery level), encrypt the backup and mark folders to not backup, like the TEMP folder.

envoke
11-15-2002, 02:29 PM
Worked just fine for me. The instructions are a little daunting, but it worked just fine.

toshtoshtosh
11-15-2002, 04:19 PM

New ATI "drivers"... Yes!

Jeff Rutledge
11-15-2002, 04:23 PM

I'd like this, too, but maybe HP has been too busy with the 1910 and 5450. :-)

Steve

You're probably right. There's no money in bug fixes right? :?

Pegasus9
11-15-2002, 05:14 PM
I got the "hey this doesn't match your Pocket PC" error.

So, I sit and wait for them to fix the (*^)(*&^_(*& thing.

Gremmie
11-15-2002, 05:33 PM
Comparison benchmarks? They are advertising significant improvements, how well is the video improvement?

Jason Dunn
11-15-2002, 05:39 PM
Comparison benchmarks? They are advertising significant improvements, how well is the video improvement?

I wish I knew! :? I've even been chatting with the program manager at Microsoft for this product, and because WMP doesn't have any FPS benchmark numbers like Pocket TV does, it's almost impossible to measure how much better this is.

All I can suggest is to perhaps encode a fat 300 kbps WMV file, play it on your EUU2 device (it should stutter and sputter), then upgrade to EUU3 and try the same file.

I really, really wish I could find a clever way to get video benchmark results.

C Brandt
11-15-2002, 06:15 PM
So... Should this be installed on a device which has been sent in for the battery issue? Or was this update installed at the factory?

Chris

Jimmy Dodd
11-15-2002, 06:21 PM
For what it's worth I did the update today with no problems at all during the install.

I do find that my eWallet records no longer display though. Very strange. The records are there and you can see the data when you edit the record, but to simply view the items the form appears blank (except for the icon).

Jimmy Dodd
11-15-2002, 06:27 PM
OK, further investigation reveals that setting the text color to Black in eWallet causes the text to appear as White, which doesn't show up well against a White background.

Anybody else see this in eWallet after applying EUU3? Or in any other app?

Gremmie
11-15-2002, 09:30 PM
Ding-ding-ding...come and get it! It looks like the wait was worth it - there's quite a few Toshiba-specific fixes here. Let me know how it works out for you!

Fixes

• Corrected a server synchronization issue.

What about the constant issue of randomly disconnecting?

Gremmie
11-16-2002, 01:59 AM
So when i tell it to install, it just opens up my Flash MX and does nothing. So can't install it at all.

Pony99CA
11-16-2002, 12:51 PM

Steve
No, that is the pathetic Compaq backup utility. I got SpriteBackup from http://www.spritesoftware.com//backup for my 3800 and the backup went from 30 minutes to 7-8. The 3900's come with this backup in ROM. It is very cool. Also allows you to schedule backups, backup when the battery gets to X% (though with this feature enabled your PDA will wake up and go back to sleep during the day checking the battery level), encrypt the backup and mark folders to not backup, like the TEMP folder.
Maybe it's a little bit of both, because I'm pretty sure that backing up to SD takes far longer than backing up to CF. If I had space on my CF card to try it (and the patience to wait :-)), I'd back up to both and give you the times.

More and more, I'm thinking of buying that 512 MB CF card for $150.... :-)

Sprite's Backup does sound good, but at $30, I don't backup enough to justify that. I hope it ships with the 5450, because I'll get it that way. :-D

Steve

bigkingfun
11-17-2002, 09:02 AM
I'm having the same problem with GigaTask. When I'm in Gigatask mode, all the text in the pull-down menu is white on white. I've played with the settings for Gigatask but I can't find a way to change the text colour, so I don't know if it is the opposite of what it should be like this.

Having said that, however, my eWallet is working fine. :?

OK, further investigation reveals that setting the text color to Black in eWallet causes the text to appear as White, which doesn't show up well against a White background.

Jimmy Dodd
11-18-2002, 05:19 PM
I'm having the same problem with GigaTask. When I'm in Gigatask mode, all the text in the pull-down menu is white on white. I've played with the settings for Gigatask but I can't find a way to change the text colour, so I don't know if it is the opposite of what it should be like this.

Having said that, however, my eWallet is working fine. :?

I don't use Gigatask so I can't say anything about that. I have noticed that in addition to eWallet, I'm having trouble with Handbase 3.0. This is really weird.

Jimmy Dodd
11-18-2002, 09:23 PM
I sent a message to Toshiba's customer support asking if the messed up text color in some applications was something they were aware of. Of course, the only reply was that they gave was that they don't support third party apps. I still haven't heard a reply from the Iliumsoft folks.

A side note is that I occaisionally see my Owner Information on the Today screen show up as white.

Oh well. I wonder if I can get back to EUU2?

Pony99CA
11-19-2002, 02:52 PM

Of course you can. If your last backup was right before you switched to EUU3, just do a hard reset and a restore. (If the Toshiba didn't come with EUU2 installed, you'll have to reinstall that.)

If you've entered lots of new data since installing EUU3, it will be harder, of course.

Steve

Jimmy Dodd
11-19-2002, 04:01 PM

Of course you can. If your last backup was right before you switched to EUU3, just do a hard reset and a restore. (If the Toshiba didn't come with EUU2 installed, you'll have to reinstall that.)

If you've entered lots of new data since installing EUU3, it will be harder, of course.

Steve

Hmmm. :?: I thought that EUU3 replaced the ROM portion of memory and as such, the previous state of the ROM was gone. Backup and Restore don't affect the ROM portion of memory, do they?

So if my battery dies today and the machine loses its mind and clears itself completely, what do I have? EUU3 or the original no-EUU machine I bought?

This is something I thought I understood, but perhaps not...

Ed Hansberry
11-19-2002, 04:32 PM
Correct - you cannot do a restore using a backup from an EUU2 image to an EUU3 device. First, it shouldn't work, but even if it does, it is likely to corrupt the device requiring a hard reset. Second, it won't replace the EUU files, which are in ROM because it doesn't back them up in the first place.

Jimmy Dodd
11-19-2002, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the clarification Ed. I was pretty sure I understood where I stood.

BTW, my earlier mention of HanDBase having a problem with the white/black text mixup was incorrect. I was having another problem that had to do with my installation.

My e740 locked up yesterday so I had to do a hard reset (I turned it on and it wouldn't get past the My Info screen, although the "My Info" title at the top was invisible.) After the reset (and subsequent re-install marathon) eWallet still doesn't work as expected (see previous post) but I haven't seen the color oddity on the Today screen again.

I had been using the TodayHTML app's free trial software right before the lockup, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Or maybe it was EUU3. I think I'm going to quit installing things for a while. :wink:

Pony99CA
11-20-2002, 02:05 AM

Actually, Ed didn't answer the question. What he said was true, but didn't relate to what I said.

As you understood, I thought a hard reset would reset the device to its factory state, but now that I think about it, I was probably wrong.

I know the backup does not affect the ROM. What I was saying was that if a hard reset did reset your device to EUU2, then restoring from a backup from before upgrading to EUU3 would have worked fine. Of course, if the hard reset doesn't restore you to EUU2, that point is moot.

However, my strategy could still work. If your Toshiba came shipped pre-EUU2, and you have the EUU2 files left, maybe you could reload EUU2 and restore from a backup you took before upgrading to EUU3 (if you have one). I'm assuming that EUU2 wouldn't check for a later version of ROM and prevent that, of course.

There may be one other recourse, too. If I recall from EUU2, the upgrade process allowed you to create a restore file for your device so that if the upgrade failed, you could restore your device to a pre-EUU2 state. If EUU3 did the same thing, and if you took that option, you could use that.

Steve

David McNamee
11-20-2002, 04:53 AM
Of course, the only reply was that they gave was that they don't support third party apps.

As of today, they were aware that the problem exists and are working on a solution. I got that after assuring them that I wasn't asking them to support a third-party app.

No ETA on a fix, but at least they're admitting there's an issue.

Jimmy Dodd
11-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Pony99CA: OK, I see what you mean. A hard reset won't restore to EUU2 (or, in my case, no EUU at all) - I did that yesterday for a different reason so I speak from experience. :( Your other option of re-flash EUU2 is an idea, but I'm not sure if EUU2 can be flashed onto a device with EUU3 installed and I don't think I want to find out the hard way. Thanks for the input, though.

David McNamee: Yea! :D Thanks for the update. I guess I messed up by mentioning a third party app. That's usually a sure-fire way of making tech support lose all interest in your issue. Do you have any info on what they think the problem is, or perhaps a link to a general statement from Toshiba? Is this a MS problem or just a Toshiba implementation of EUU3 problem? I haven't heard any other users complain about it.

Pony99CA
11-20-2002, 04:31 PM
David McNamee: Yea! :D Thanks for the update. I guess I messed up by mentioning a third party app. That's usually a sure-fire way of making tech support lose all interest in your issue.

If the third-party application is one that ships with the device (either pre-installed or on their software CD), they should at least make sure it works on their system, and I'd escalate.

eWallet shipped with my iPAQ, so I'd expect it to work. I don't know if it's included with the Toshiba, though.

Steve

David McNamee
11-20-2002, 05:39 PM
Is this a MS problem or just a Toshiba implementation of EUU3 problem? I haven't heard any other users complain about it.

No "official" statement from Toshiba. Just a comment from support services that they were looking into it.

I'm working on the assumption that it is a Toshiba issue. I'm not hearing any complaining from owners of other devices that have EUU3.

Jimmy Dodd
11-20-2002, 11:25 PM
David McNamee: Yea! :D Thanks for the update. I guess I messed up by mentioning a third party app. That's usually a sure-fire way of making tech support lose all interest in your issue.

If the third-party application is one that ships with the device (either pre-installed or on their software CD), they should at least make sure it works on their system, and I'd escalate.

eWallet shipped with my iPAQ, so I'd expect it to work. I don't know if it's included with the Toshiba, though.

Steve

I agree, but it's not included with the Toshiba e740.

Ed Hansberry
11-21-2002, 01:40 PM

Actually, Ed didn't answer the question. What he said was true, but didn't relate to what I said.

Because you didn't ask the question. Jim did. I answered it in spades. :roll:

Furthermore, flashing EUU2 on an EUU3 won't do didly. The EUU files are not complete rom images. So, if File A, B and C are on your device as a result of EUU2 and File D is from the original PPC - never been fixed, and you flash EUU3, which updates Files A, B, C and D, if you flash EUU2 again, you will get EUU2 A, B and C and File D will still be EUU3. And that might mean nothing, or might lead to an unbootable device or something annoying inbetween.

You can flash down to older ROM's - that does a full ROM rewrite. EUUs don't work that way.

Pony99CA
11-21-2002, 04:12 PM

Because you didn't ask the question. Jim did. I answered it in spades. :roll:

Actually, BwanaJim asked two questions, and they related to my post about hard resetting the device and then doing a restore.

Hmmm. I thought that EUU3 replaced the ROM portion of memory and as such, the previous state of the ROM was gone. Backup and Restore don't affect the ROM portion of memory, do they?

So if my battery dies today and the machine loses its mind and clears itself completely, what do I have? EUU3 or the original no-EUU machine I bought?

You answered the question about backup/restore, but BwanaJim only asked that because I think he misunderstood what my post was getting at. I didn't mean that a restore would reset the ROM, only that you would need to do one after the hard reset to get your data back, and that the restore should be from an EUU2 backup (to avoid the issue you raised of restoring from a different ROM level).

The more important question -- whether a hard reset reverted the machine to its factory setting -- went unanswered. (The answer, as we now know, is that it does not. I don't know what I was thinking. :-()

So let's say you answered his posting in diamonds. :-P

Anyway, before my dumb assumption about hard resets confuses anyone else, let's pretend I never said it, OK? If editing my post wouldn't make all the rest of these look odd, I'd do it. :-)

Steve

Pony99CA
11-21-2002, 04:26 PM
Furthermore, flashing EUU2 on an EUU3 won't do didly. The EUU files are not complete rom images. So, if File A, B and C are on your device as a result of EUU2 and File D is from the original PPC - never been fixed, and you flash EUU3, which updates Files A, B, C and D, if you flash EUU2 again, you will get EUU2 A, B and C and File D will still be EUU3. And that might mean nothing, or might lead to an unbootable device or something annoying inbetween.

You can flash down to older ROM's - that does a full ROM rewrite. EUUs don't work that way.
That's definitely a concern. However, I think if you know exactly what XIP was updating, it could work. If the items EUU3 updated were a subset of what EUU2 updated, you'd be OK (after a hard reset to clear any files in RAM). It's probably not worth the risk unless you can see log files of the updates both EUUs did, though.

So the questions remaining are:

1. How can one get the EUU2 ROM image?
2. How would one put it on their device?
3. Does BwanaJim even care any more? :-)

Steve

Ed Hansberry
11-21-2002, 04:29 PM
However, I think if you know exactly what XIP was updating, it could work.
It is a shame the OEMs aren't providing reversion XIP updates so you can "uninstall" an EUU if it causes an issue.

Jimmy Dodd
11-21-2002, 05:03 PM
3. Does BwanaJim even care any more?

Yeah, I'm still here. But I think we've answered my question at this point (I've forgotten what it was, actually). To paraphrase Will Rogers' comments on buying stock "If there's an EUU available, then install it. If you find that it screws up your machine, then don't install it."

It is a shame the OEMs aren't providing reversion XIP updates so you can "uninstall" an EUU if it causes an issue.

I agree. I wish there was a way to reflash your device with what was on it before the EUU was flashed onto it.

I think it's kind of funny that the EUU instructions always say to back up your machine in case something bad happens. But once the EUU goes on your backup is pretty useless. I usually just go into Add/Remove Programs in ActiveSync and reinstall everything from there (it keeps a nice little list for you) and all my data files are synched to my desktop sync folder. Once I sync after the install I'm back up and running. I'm not sure what a seperate backup is useful for unless you don't want to require the desktop be available for recovery.

Ilium Software
11-22-2002, 02:40 PM
As people have pointed out, if you're having the problem with eWallet where some cards don't seem to be displaying, changing the font color to something that's not black (or changing the background color) will get around the problem. We trying to figure out why it's happening, though at this point don't have much of an idea. The next version of eWallet, which will be out either very late this year or very early next, doesn't seem to have the same problem.

We apologize for any inconvenience, if people have questions, we're happy to try to answer them.

Ellen Craw
Ilium Software
[email protected]

Pony99CA
11-22-2002, 03:12 PM
As people have pointed out, if you're having the problem with eWallet where some cards don't seem to be displaying, changing the font color to something that's not black (or changing the background color) will get around the problem. We trying to figure out why it's happening, though at this point don't have much of an idea. The next version of eWallet, which will be out either very late this year or very early next, doesn't seem to have the same problem.

Now that's good customer support. :-) Now that you've shown up here, though, I have a question. Does this issue only affect Toshiba owners, does it affect all EUU3 updates, or is it even broader than that?

Steve

Pony99CA
11-22-2002, 03:18 PM

I agree. I wish there was a way to reflash your device with what was on it before the EUU was flashed onto it.

I think it's kind of funny that the EUU instructions always say to back up your machine in case something bad happens. But once the EUU goes on your backup is pretty useless. I usually just go into Add/Remove Programs in ActiveSync and reinstall everything from there (it keeps a nice little list for you) and all my data files are synched to my desktop sync folder. Once I sync after the install I'm back up and running. I'm not sure what a seperate backup is useful for unless you don't want to require the desktop be available for recovery.
I agree with all of that. In a previous post, I mentioned that I recalled EUU2 having a backup, but I think it was the iPAQ 2.20 ROM update, not EUU2 (I applied them at the same time).

Maybe the EUU process should include the same ROM backup feature (optionally, of course).

Steve

Ed Hansberry
11-22-2002, 03:32 PM
Now that's good customer support. :-) Now that you've shown up here, though, I have a question. Does this issue only affect Toshiba owners, does it affect all EUU3 updates, or is it even broader than that?

Steve

It seems fine on my 3900. May be an issue with the new video driver that the Toshiba EUU3 put in place.

Ilium Software
11-22-2002, 03:38 PM

Steve

Thanks! As far as we can tell, it's only Toshiba devices.

Ellen