View Full Version : Somebody slap me...

enemy2k2
11-15-2002, 02:39 AM
:( I just read the PC Mag review of the Dell Axim X5 and they stated that it's .8" thick instead of the .7" mentioned in specs elsewhere. What can I say... it's freaking me out... I thouight .7" was fine as the ipaq 3800 is .6" thick and didn't compare to badly to a toshiba e310 too badly at all when I checked them out side by side. I figured what's the big deal with another .1", but now it may just be that it's .2" bigger :x This is the reason why I passed on a NIB @migo even though I was really interested in a 2GB PCMCIA HD, because it was .9" thick. I really hope the PC Mag review was a mistake. Do I deserve to be slapped? :oops:

ThomasC22
11-15-2002, 03:42 AM
:( I just read the PC Mag review of the Dell Axim X5 and they stated that it's .8" thick instead of the .7" mentioned in specs elsewhere. What can I say... it's freaking me out... I thouight .7" was fine as the ipaq 3800 is .6" thick and didn't compare to badly to a toshiba e310 too badly at all when I checked them out side by side. I figured what's the big deal with another .1", but now it may just be that it's .2" bigger :x This is the reason why I passed on a NIB @migo even though I was really interested in a 2GB PCMCIA HD, because it was .9" thick. I really hope the PC Mag review was a mistake. Do I deserve to be slapped? :oops:

Well, I've heard .7" from every reliable source and I've also found PC Magazine to not be the most reliable source so I wouldn't worry too much!

ThomasC22
11-15-2002, 03:44 AM
OH, and btw, the iPaq 3800 series is officially .62" so it's actually only .08" more.

enemy2k2
11-15-2002, 04:10 AM
I think I'll just order, have my fingers crosses, and see how it is in my hands and pocket. I still can't wait until the 18th... haven't felt excitement like this for a while!

ThomasC22
11-15-2002, 04:32 AM
I think I'll just order, have my fingers crosses, and see how it is in my hands and pocket. I still can't wait until the 18th... haven't felt excitement like this for a while!

Well, they won't ship until the 25th so don't get too excited :(

Kati Compton
11-15-2002, 05:44 AM
I expect <meaningful stare> to be able to read first impressions on the Dell about 30 minutes after the first person on this forum gets one...

;)

ThomasC22
11-15-2002, 05:48 AM
I expect <meaningful stare> to be able to read first impressions on the Dell about 30 minutes after the first person on this forum gets one...

I am actually debating going to Comdex for the whole day on the 18th just to attend the HP thing and get a look at the Dell PDA (I love being an IT Manager, everyone sucks up to you :))

Rirath
11-15-2002, 03:19 PM
*slaps enemy2k2* Sorry, no one else called it and I was tired of waiting. :)

enemy2k2
11-15-2002, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the wake up :wink:

When I phoned Dell a few days ago (yes, a little pSyChO...), a guy I talked to (some sales advisor or something like that) said that the Axim would be available on the 18th, hopefully they'll send it out then too - and not on the 25th. :really mad: I wouldn't be a happy camper if that were the case, may just be able to get my hands on a Viewsonic by the time the Dell arrives. But then again for price:performance and feature wise, I think it may still be worth the wait for the Dell - provided it really isn't .8" thick. Please say it isn't so? :pukeface: Oh yeah, they said that the rebate they offered was also available to Canadians. Silly 'ole me forgot to ask what their original asking price was going to be. Hopefully they'll round down :D

Rirath
11-15-2002, 05:05 PM
I've thought about calling them up just to bug em, but I've managed to resist so far. I mostly fill the time with lists of everything I'll be able to do with the Axim. :wink: I'll be so very happy to stop using the Jornada 525 as my only device. :oops: I've thought about being nice and giving it to my Sis, but there's a very good chance I'll still keep and use it. Mainly because of the Stowaway keyboard.

ECOslin
11-15-2002, 05:37 PM
Someone take their calipers to Comdex and get an actual measurement.

Don't get thrown out. 'Officer, he's the one with them I saw them he's going to violate the EULA or someone's NDA!'

Edward

ThomasC22
11-15-2002, 10:38 PM
Don't get thrown out. 'Officer, he's the one with them I saw them he's going to violate the EULA or someone's NDA!'

Nope, Dell's NDA expires on the 18th and let me tell you after that I'm going to post EVERYTHING (Everything all being known as "the stuff you already know because it was leaked weeks ago)

Kati Compton
11-15-2002, 10:41 PM

Nope, Dell's NDA expires on the 18th and let me tell you after that I'm going to post EVERYTHING (Everything all being known as "the stuff you already know because it was leaked weeks ago)

Have you played with one, or is this paper knowledge?

ThomasC22
11-15-2002, 10:45 PM

Totally and completely paper, sadly.

Janak Parekh
11-16-2002, 05:11 AM

Totally and completely paper, sadly.
Well, you never know... maybe "playing with one" is nondisclosable under the NDA... Thomas might just be like a secret agent :D

--bdj

ThomasC22
11-16-2002, 07:22 AM
Well, you never know... maybe "playing with one" is nondisclosable under the NDA... Thomas might just be like a secret agent :D

I wish, spies know cool stuff :x