View Full Version : Viewsonic V35 Coming Soon

Jason Dunn
11-13-2002, 11:28 PM
Waiting for the Viewsonic V35? Szamot emailed me the following - I can't confirm this, so don't treat it as gospel, but it's good news!<br /><br />"I just got a word from my rep at ViewSonic who has confirmed that V35 will be officially announced this coming Friday Nov. 15th for immediate availability in US and Canadian availability slated for January 1, 2003. All current production models are allocated to US all currently built for everyone else including Canada. The pricing will be in the range of $510 - $545 CDN but you can pre order one for as low as $475 CDN which means there is still some fat for resellers to trim. I am waiting to hear on Friday if by some stroke of luck I can get mine sooner than January 1, 2003. Life will be great."<br /><br />On a slightly darker note, I've heard a report that the SD slot on the V35 is <b>not</b> SDIO. This directly conflicts what I was told at Mobius by the Viewsonic rep, so I'm trying to get a confirmation. Don't cancel those orders yet!

mookie123
11-14-2002, 12:05 AM
without SDIO, V35 only worth less than $199, no matter how thin or how bright the display is. It only has one slot, contrast fo SD/CF on other.

plus BT SD is out, and it has some use.

so, they better not making a funny move and fudging about spec, or this machine will go directly to discounted bin and becomes a footnoot in Annals of Forgotten PDA.

Kirkaiya
11-14-2002, 12:07 AM
oh, PLEASE be true - I've been "Pda-less" for about a month now, and it's driving me nuts (I am very disorganized without a PDA...).

I've *almost* come to the point of cancelling my Amazon.com V35 order, and just getting an iPaq 395x off eBay, but after having an iPaq 3650 for 2 years, I was looking forward to the lighter weight and thinness of the V35.

I guess I'll give them till the 1st week of December, and if there's not ship-date confirmed on Amazon by then, I'm gonna jump ship and get the iPaq (or another transflective PDA, possibly even the Dell... ugh... damn brick).

[/b]

Kirkaiya
11-14-2002, 12:15 AM
without SDIO, V35 only worth less than $199, no matter how thin or how bright the display is. It only has one slot, contrast fo SD/CF on other.

plus BT SD is out, and it has some use.

so, they better not making a funny move and fudging about spec, or this machine will go directly to discounted bin and becomes a footnoot in Annals of Forgotten PDA.

I think that's not quite reasonable, really - if Viewsonic DID mess up and say it's SDIO, and it's not, then shame on them, but since the vast majority of people never plug anything into their PDA except for memory (if that), I doubt this will be relegated to the "dust bin", and most people won't cancel their order.

Even on this board, where most of us are techies and/or "power-users", a lot of people (including me) wouldn't cancel their order because of that.

I've had my iPaq for 2 years, and it doesn't have ANY slot built-in, I've always had to use a CF jacket for my 802.11b CF card, and memory cards. Perhaps they'll release a jacket to use CF (or not... :-( )

Either way - the *average* user (which we are probably not) will probably never know the difference.

Kirkaiya
p.s. According to the original Viewsonic Acrobat (PDF) file, "Store additional files and information with optional Secure Digital memory cards." - and the image is labeled, "Secure Digital Slot", not SDIO... So.. hate to say it, but it might be only SD.. have to wait to see what Jason finds out!

mookie123
11-14-2002, 12:37 AM
Viewsonic doesn't have ANY other type of slot if the SD is not IO, even sledge. Why can't they just work something out so Asus's sledge can sit on viewsonic? the form factor is similar, the pins can't be that different....

oh well....

CoreyJF
11-14-2002, 12:53 AM
For my 2 cents, probably not even worth that. Seems liek fo rthat price teh dell is a better buy. I have been thinking baout selling my IPAQ and buying the dell.

shawnc
11-14-2002, 02:56 AM
On a slightly darker note, I've heard a report that the SD slot on the V35 is not SDIO. This directly conflicts what I was told at Mobius by the Viewsonic rep, so I'm trying to get a confirmation. Don't cancel those orders yet!

This is disappointing. I agree with another post that the V35 is only worth $199 without SDIO. I'm not cancelling my order yet because I have a hunch that the initial demand will exceed the supply and I can always return it. But no SDIO will probably push me over to Dell.

szamot
11-14-2002, 03:32 AM
Well the only reason I want this puppy is because I thought it had the SDIO but even if it does not it still will be a good and relatively inexpansive device, compared to my 3850. X5 seems like a good device too but it is quite bigger, and I am really looking for something smaller. I suppose we will all know better on Friday.

ThomasC22
11-14-2002, 03:39 AM
OK, well, I understand why some people here are upset...really I do...and I'm not critisizing those people...BUT!

As Kirkaiya said, I doubt the target audience of this device (low-end consumer) will care one way or another.

The problem really is that Thin is equated to Low End in the PocketPC world so what is meant as a low end device gets held to a higher (and perhaps unfair) standard.

sweetpete
11-14-2002, 04:14 AM
I understand people wanting SDIO, especially when it is an available standard. I was always a bit pissed my 3870 wasn't SDIO, but with a dual slot PDA like this one, I really don't think it's THAT necessary.

I think the best use for a dual unit like this is to use memory in SD slot and get peripherals for the CF slot. There are many more IO type peripherals available for the CF slot over the SDIO (and from what I've read, there aren't a ton of announced SDIO ones coming either).

I have yet to see anyone make a very compelling arguement that SDIO is a must on this device ... especially when it will drive up the costs of the device in order to pay for the royalties. :roll:

Sven Johannsen
11-14-2002, 04:21 AM
I understand people wanting SDIO, especially when it is an available standard. I was always a bit pissed my 3870 wasn't SDIO, but with a dual slot PDA like this one, I really don't think it's THAT necessary.

Umm, this is the Viewsonic. SD slot only. It's the new Dell that has both. Still, I know lots of folks that don't have anything for their slot(s) other than additional memory. For $300 you're getting way more than folks got in the initial iPAQs for over $500.

szamot
11-14-2002, 04:31 AM
I can't say I agree, since when is thin synonymous with cheap. I think thin is in brother...The trick is to have a nice sleek device packed with all the features. Imagine a device like v35 with not one but 2 SDIO slots, built in GPRS, built in Bluetooth and WiFi cool screen and 256 mb of RAM. This will leave you 2 slots for - say a 1gig SD card and a spare for GPS or a Camera or whatever else. Now, that I would pay $700 US for, hell I would even pay $749 for it. Is it do-able - I think it is, is it marketable hell yeah. People already pay in the upwards of $3500 US for a nice laptop that's worth less than 30% of its value in two years and people usually replace their laptops every 2-3 years anyway. I think that manufactures are approaching this from the wrong perspective, have a device will all balls hanging out then scale down much like cars or new homes. To me that would be a good sales strategy, however not a single manufacturer is taking a stance and offering a one stop solution for people like us, and people like Mr. Executive who are easily sold on the latest and the greatest. Both us and them like to show off as much as anyone, don't believe me, look at how many people carry Blackberries, without much use for them, I see it in my company and others like it. People have Blackberries not because they need them or know how to use them for that matter they have them because it is a status symbol, they are high enough on the totem pole that they CAN have one, and for a lack of a better choice they get it. That’s my 2 cents worth.

ThomasC22
11-14-2002, 04:31 AM

ummm...The Viewsonic isn't Dual-Slot.

shawnc
11-14-2002, 04:57 AM
[quote="ThomasC22"]OK, well, I understand why some people here are upset...really I do...and I'm not critisizing those people...BUT!

As Kirkaiya said, I doubt the target audience of this device (low-end consumer) will care one way or another.

Being a lowly accountant (not a "Power" user) maybe I can provide some insight. All I was looking to do was replace my ipaq 3650 with something that was relatively thin (ipaq + ss2 = brick). I saw the V35 and instantly fell in love. Thin and integrated storage slot for my vast selection of MP3's. Then I started to read this site and understood the significance of SDIO. I'm not interested in connecting wirelessly right now, but with the way the industry is going, what's to say I won't be interested a year from now? SDIO at least gave me the option. Now I'm concerned that I may be looking to replace the V35 in a year to get wireless connectivity. Last point in closing, Viewsonic may have led people to believe this was SDIO (this was not the only site I read that on). Once you've given something, it becomes difficult to take it away and not piss off customers.

Rirath
11-14-2002, 05:44 AM
Reading this news gave me a very evil smirk. :twisted:

With only a 300mhz xscale and no CF, I personally don't think it ever stood a chance. Without SDIO the V35 is completely finished in my eyes. Paper thin just isn't a plus in my book. I'd almost like to drop an actual brick on the foot of the next person who uses that term to describe a pocket pc's size/weight. For comparison reasons only, of course. :)

ThomasC22
11-14-2002, 06:39 AM
Being a lowly accountant (not a "Power" user) maybe I can provide some insight. All I was looking to do was replace my ipaq 3650 with something that was relatively thin (ipaq + ss2 = brick). I saw the V35 and instantly fell in love. Thin and integrated storage slot for my vast selection of MP3's. Then I started to read this site and understood the significance of SDIO. I'm not interested in connecting wirelessly right now, but with the way the industry is going, what's to say I won't be interested a year from now? SDIO at least gave me the option. Now I'm concerned that I may be looking to replace the V35 in a year to get wireless connectivity. Last point in closing, Viewsonic may have led people to believe this was SDIO (this was not the only site I read that on). Once you've given something, it becomes difficult to take it away and not piss off customers.

Well, the whole thing is kind of stupid. There should be no SD without SDIO simply because it is confusing to the consumer, so much so, that it will probably keep people from buying peripherals.

As for you Shawn, I see why your upset but I still think that the average consumer won't mind. The fact that you're here indicates you arn't your average user.

exsilio
11-14-2002, 07:13 AM
Someone posted they think the V35 is done? Ha ha. Wow. Talk about over dramatizing things and being geek-centric.

Most people who are foing to buy the budget pocket pc cant even spell sdio. So it's a non issue. The importan facts are this.

Viewsonic is recognized name

Pretty Screen

Pocket PC

Under $300, probably will retail for $250 with some sweet rebated for the holidays

Done? I think not. It would be a bit hasty for Viewsonic to raise the white flag.

You have to keep in mind...many people who buy a budget device, are ona budget..which means they probably are not in the market to buy expensive 3rd party sdio accessories...thus, the non-issue. I think the V35 is a winner and will do well for Viewsonic and for Pocket PC's in general.

Great form factor

Light weight

vincentsiaw
11-14-2002, 07:21 AM
you know what guys, to thin and light could be dangerous,my friend have a very bad experience with his e 310, he forgot how fragile a thin pocket pc is, he saw me putting my ipaq in my tight jeans pockect, and he tries to do the same, but the difference is really clear, my ipaq survive, his e310 don't, crack the screen hahaha, thats why whenever i see something thin and light, i wonder about it durability :roll:

Rirath
11-14-2002, 07:25 AM
Exsilio, I hardly know where to start with this post. :)

"Someone posted they think the V35 is done? Ha ha. Wow. Talk about over dramatizing things and being geek-centric. " "Most people who are foing to buy the budget pocket pc cant even spell sdio. So it's a non issue. You have to keep in mind...many people who buy a budget device, are ona budget..which means they probably are not in the market to buy expensive 3rd party sdio accessories...thus, the non-issue"

Do you perhaps mean my post just a few posts back? I have a habbit of being referred to as "someone" so it's hard to tell.

Wow, now that spelling thing was a pure blast of reason. You really think they won't mind that they can't use any of the SDIO add-ons out there? Something tells me that'd make Joe Average frown. At purchase, they may have a budget. But when you tell them they can't expand... ouch.

"Viewsonic is recognized name" "Pretty Screen" "Pocket PC"

1) By Joe? I know most of the "average" people I know would say Who?.
2) Dell has a pretty screen too. The average folk think they all have pretty screens. In fact, for the most part they DO all have pretty screens. 3) It's not palm. Geez, you list this as a fact?

"Under $300, probably will retail for $250 with some sweet rebated for the holidays" "It would be a bit hasty for Viewsonic to raise the white flag." "Great form factor Light weight"

Dell has a 300mhz Xscale for $199 ($250) with CF and SD. I never said they should pack it up and go home. I'm sure someone cares that it's really thin and slightly lighter by a few oz. Choice is great, if these guys want to make one, good for them. If you want to buy one, great! We're all pocket pc bros after all. But right now there's a lot of people in the balance deciding between devices and reading these forums for advice. Plus, it's just fun. :lol: I honestly hope this SDIO news turns out false.

vincentsiaw - Totally agreed. No one else seems to mind though.

jizmo
11-14-2002, 11:44 AM
I can't help but wondering why did the viewsonic take the non-removable battery road?

I really was going for this device, but althought it's sexier than the Dell's one, running out of battery and thus not being able to work while travelling is really a nightmare to me. Actually it's the reason I got rid of my iPAQ in the first place.

For reselling point of view, it really bugs me that I have to sell my used PPC as having "battery that is at the end of it's natural life" .. just guess how much money people are willing to pay on such device? And I really don't have the arrogance to ask anything above next to nothing for such PDA. And it's really a shame, since the used PPC devices are otherwise in a great shape.

Shouldn't we, as the PocketPC community and users, write an joint appeal to PPC manufacturers on this and demand this feature on every PPC device, cause it really doesn't seem that impossible feature to implement. And it really adds to the value of one's PDA, since you are able to replace that drained down battery with a new one once it get old.

exsilio
11-14-2002, 01:16 PM
Hi Rirath,

Actually, I wasn't addressing you specifically. But now I will.

1. The "blast of reason" was to make a point...the average joes out there, as you refer to them, will not care about SDIO. But people in here do, why? Because the people that frequent these boards are not average joes...they are "early adopters" or just people who take the wait and see approach looking for the best product...not necessarily the cheapest. All the average joe cares about is what it does out of the box..sure they would perhaps like to add a feature in the future...maybe...something beyond memory? Doubtful. So the average joe is set...right out of the box.

2. Dell is a great product...buuuuut, it weighs almost 50% more and has slightly more girth. And size has long been an issue/barrier for potential pocket pc buyers. This is not to say Dell won't sell them..I think they'll sell alot...but I don't think they are offering a superior product to the Viewsonic.

3. I know you did not say "they should pack it up and go home", that was another poster.

4. I agree that now is a great time to be a pocket pc owner or potential owner...never have we had such great choices. And you are right...what is the best choice..and that is up to each customer I suppose. The Dell I think have the tech advantage...the Viewsonic, perhaps the aesthetic advantage. Smaller form factor, and perhaps better screen...that remains to be seen though.

Jizmo,

I agree about the removable battery..would be great! But the cost involved would be enormous...and right now, the Pocket PC manufacturers, especially the new ones are trying to get the prices down where they can compete against palm, gain some market share thus getting some money thus being able to put more research into a cost effective solution for batteries. It will happen, but not now.

shawnc
11-14-2002, 01:57 PM
Just a couple of points:

Rirath - relatively speaking, as compared to the form factor of other PDA's available, ipaq+ss2=brick. Please don't drop a real brick on my foot. :wink: By the way - GREAT web site. Very informative.

Exsilio - I never even heard of Viewsonic prior to joining this forum a few months ago. If we are talking about the "average" user, I doubt that they will purchase a V35 based on name recognition.

I still think the average user will be concerned about having to replacing his/her PDA in a year. Granted, most of us don't understand the significance of SD v SDIO, but once we do, the Viewsonics lack of SDIO will cause a concern. You technical folks have a much better handle on where technology will be a year from now. Us non-technical people want something in a device that we may not use today, but will be available to us tomorrow when the technology has advanced to the point of cost-effectiveness. With the Dell, the "average" user gets name recognition and the option of taking advantage of wireless advances tomorrow. With the V35 (minus SDIO) ?????????

Just my opinion.

jizmo
11-14-2002, 03:42 PM
Exsilio,

I've understood that the cheaper Dell PPC *does* have the removable battery (correct me if I'm wrong here). Keeping this in mind, I really believe that if the removable battery issue would've been thought when designing the device, it wouldn't add up that much to the price.

Anyway, IF the Viewsonic had an option for removable battery and it would add some fifty bucks to the price, I'd be happy to pay it and choose Viewsonic over Dell. But having long experience from the PPC devices, I choose usability (brought by not having to worry about the power) over looks. It's really sad, thought. Viewsonic is the most attractive PDA there is to date. :(

Bottom line: Viewsonic should really consider their priorities on this department and give the community the options that are the most essential from the overall usability and users point of view. I find it sad that a product this good and well-thought out lacks the most requisite option that would turn it from a notepad to actual tool, a killed PDA unit, even.

/jizmo

Sven Johannsen
11-14-2002, 04:22 PM
Though no-one probably cares what I think, the beauty of the net is I get to say it anyway :D . I don't think there is going to be a noticable difference in the popularity of the Viewsonic, with or without the IO of SDIO. The only issue is going to with the folks who expected or anticipated IO and are now dissappointed. (Assuming it is not SDIO).

I think the vaste majority of target users aren't going to be looking at expandibility beyond more memory. What are you going to use it for anyway? Network? You think the target market for these has a home network? A wireless one? For a camera accessory? Isn't one out yet, and if it has the resolution the current CF ones have, they are geek toys, nothing more. A GPS? Again, doesn't exist yet, and Joe average will look at the $300 SD GPS (to put in his $300 PPC) and the $100 eTrex and say, Why?

I figure the market for these lower priced PPCs are those folks that wander into CompUSA or BestBuy, looking for one of those new MS Palm things. Show them an M505 and the Dell (which you couldn't) and the size will sell the Palm to many. But show them the M505 and the V35, and you can start to explain the difference.

Different strokes, dudes. My wife and I both had J545s, J548s, and now J568s. I have every accessory available for mine. She has never had anything but a memory card in hers. She's the company Network Manager, CNE and MCSE. The Viewsonic would suit her fine. Go figure.

Kirkaiya
11-14-2002, 04:30 PM
Exsilio,

I've understood that the cheaper Dell PPC *does* have the removable battery (correct me if I'm wrong here). Keeping this in mind, I really believe that if the removable battery issue would've been thought when designing the device, it wouldn't add up that much to the price.

Um... Since the iPaq 36xx and 37xx series PocketPCs were the best-selling PPCs for quite a bit of time, and neither has a removable battery, I think perhaps this issue is being overblown a bit. Again - the vast majority of people using PDAs use them during the day for work, where the device spends enough time in the charging cradle to recharge. Some people take them home and slap them in the cradle there, and sync up at home. I hate to break this to the forum, but most people take very few business trips each year, and despite all the KPMG/Accenture/PWC/CGEY/Global solutions companies, those consultants are a very small percentage of the populace.

Anyway, IF the Viewsonic had an option for removable battery and it would add some fifty bucks to the price, I'd be happy to pay it and choose Viewsonic over Dell. But having long experience from the PPC devices, I choose usability (brought by not having to worry about the power) over looks.

Umm... so the SDIO is *not* an issue for you? Or it is? Somehow we got sidetracked onto removable batteries, which are only going to be an issue for those who are away from their desks for days at a time... (and can we all say, "travel charger?")

Bottom line: Viewsonic should really consider their priorities on this department and give the community the options that are the most essential from the overall usability and users point of view. I find it sad that a product this good and well-thought out lacks the most requisite option that would turn it from a notepad to actual tool, a killed PDA unit, even.

Umm.. I think that's a bit of hyperbole, really - the difference between SD and SDIO (and the battery) doesn't make the difference between notepad and actual tool.

Otherwise, you're saying that all those people last year who bought iPaq 3600s and 3700s bought "notepads". I disagree pretty strongly - my iPaq 3650 was STILL a tool, which i used every day for 2 years, until a month or so ago when i cracked the touchscreen.

I get the opportunity to see a lot of different users in the course of my work (I'm a consulant, and have been at KPMG and E&Y in the past, now I'm freelance, and my main client is Microsoft).

Even at Microsoft, the place where you'd think everybody would be techies, there are a huge number of people in the Marketing and Sales departments, nearly all of them armed with iPaqs, who have NO IDEA what they can do beyond syncing up their contacts and calendars.

I've shown people at MSFT my CF Symbol WLAN card (in the CF jacket... errr!!), and they are like, "Wow, it can do that?". Other than 2 or 3 other people, who were techies like me, I have never seen a single PDA user out of perhaps two-hundred of them who had any communications device attached to their PDA. (and 1 of those 3 was a Palm V with the Minstrel snap-on wireless modem).

And, in case people have forgotten, the wireless cards that fit these small slots are not cheap - even my CF WLAN card was $170 when I got it (the day it was released! :-) ) Prices may come down some, but adding any wireless card (BT or WLAN) isn't going to be super cheap.

So - my "Bottom Line" is this: There is obviously a segment of the market, namely, the people who tend to frequent these boards, that know and care about SD verus SDIO, but most users won't know, or be overly concerned, especially since I doubt they'll ever be aware of it (what? You say my PDA isn't SDIO? And that is... what?).

Viewsonice is bringing an attractive, affordable, small, lightweight, color pocketPC to the market, and if they don't completely srew the pooch on getting it to users (I'm STILL WAITING, Amazon/Viewsonic!!), then this should be a moderatly successful product - possibly very successful.

I think people here need should go visit some of the car-enthusiast boards to see the sort of narrow well we live in - you'll see people there saying things like, "What? It's only 2 valves per cylinder? what a piece of crap, nobody's going to buy that - and with only a 11:1 compression ratio, they better just pull this car off the damn lots!" - but in the end, most buyers want to know: does it look good, what's the gas mileage, and how much does it cost.

this is all just my opinion - and Foo Fighter, I can't believe you just said that!!!! Geesh, no, I *DON'T* have an iPaq in my pocket, and no, I'm not happy to see you!! (ha ha ha)

Kati Compton
11-14-2002, 04:36 PM
1. The "blast of reason" was to make a point...the average joes out there, as you refer to them, will not care about SDIO. But people in here do, why? Because the people that frequent these boards are not average joes...they are "early adopters" or just people who take the wait and see approach looking for the best product...not necessarily the cheapest. All the average joe cares about is what it does out of the box..sure they would perhaps like to add a feature in the future...maybe...something beyond memory? Doubtful. So the average joe is set...right out of the box.

I agree with you for the most part on this, but I think you've taken the argument a little too far. If the average user wasn't interested in any sort of expandability, there wouldn't be enough of a market for peripherals and accessories to justify their existence. I think it might be more accurate that people buying a $300 PocketPC may not be as interested in getting expensive peripherals, though. I see this as marketing to people who want something different from a Palm, but to keep the small size and sleek looks.

PPCRules
11-14-2002, 04:36 PM
First of all, we aren't sure it's not SDIO (evidence both ways), but I'd guess it's not, based mostly on the timeframe of it's development.

However, they'll sell plenty of these so it will be well worth their time/effort.
1) First group of purchasers doesn't know what a slot is and doesn't care and won't ever care. Probably a Palm convert. - Happy owner
2) Second group doesn't know what a slot is and doesn't care but will someday want to add memory and will be very pleased to discover what a slot is and that they have one, and will never want anything besides memory. - Happy owner
(these two are by far the two biggest groups that will be buying sub-$300 PocketPCs over the next year).
3) (small group) Doesn't know what a slot is and doesn't care but will someday want to add memory and will be very pleased to discover what a slot is and that they have one, but will at a later someday want to add I/O device but will have someone to pass this on to and be glad to get a new device by then anyway. - Happy owner
4) (bigger than last group) Knows it's an SD slot, doesn't know about SDIO, will never use anything besides memory anyway. - Happy owner
5) (small group) Knows it's an SD slot , doesn't know about SDIO, will someday discover what SDIO is, but lives with it or is ready to upgrade anyway. - Happy owner
6) (? size group) Knows it's an SD slot , doesn't know about SDIO, will someday want to use SDIO, are disappointed but will appreciate the device for everything else it is and will live with it until they can upgrade. - Happy owner
7) (small group). Assumes it's SDIO, finds out it's not, is bummed and (a very small subgroup) talks about it all over the internet. - UN-Happy owner
8 ) Knows it's not SDIO, buys it anyway. Enjoys it then moves on. - Happy owner
9) Knows it's not SDIO, buys something else. Realizes later that that device didn't have everything they would ever want either, and they never ended up using an SDIO device anyway. - May or may not be happy with what they got instead

So, overall, either way this will go down in PDA history as a successful device.

jizmo
11-14-2002, 05:20 PM
Kirkaiya,

I don't really care if it's SDIO or not, because I'm not into networking or expanding the thing further (althought I realise that this is an important issue for someone)

I use the PDA for writing (I study screenwriting) and listening to mp3's while doing so. And on trips, I use painting software for sketching designs (that's what I do for living). With the backlight on, the battery is out in just three hours or so. If I travel for 4-5hrs, I have to make a decision whether I watch a movie or work. I can't do both, because one divx movie drains down the battery.

All this unnecessary pondering upon the battery time would be over if I could just pack and extra battery with me. And I'd always have one fully recharged battery at home if I didn't have time to wait for recharge. It's a matter of effectiviness, really.

And for people not travelling, I beg to differ. It's not uncommon for people these days to have to travel daily, and many times even the way to work itself takes over an hour a day. I really think that having removable battery is not a trivial issue, but a must in many cases if you plan to do anything else than just tapping a few notes now and then. Playing for one thing drains down the battery life dramatically.

And, as I mentioned earlier. A one-and-a-half year old PPC can have seriously downgraded battery life. Instead of having to open the PDA and change it yourself (which is next to impossible) or having it replaced for extra expenses is not very consumer friendly. Also, as I mentioned, a PPC with crappy, used battery is worth next to nothing when re-selling it.

Rirath
11-14-2002, 05:21 PM
Just curious how this manages to stack up so successfully compared to the 300mhz Dell I suppose. Dell seems to have it out spec'ed in every way but size. I guess if it's that important to you to be willing to pay more and get so much less. There seems to be some wonderful attraction to something about this device I just can't find no matter how hard I look. Maybe it's because I'm looking at stat sheets and not the promo pics. It's only 300mhz, no CF, apparently not SDIO, and it costs more and just under the two Dells. "But look how thin it is!"

Dell is a great product...buuuuut, it weighs almost 50% more and has slightly more girth. And size has long been an issue/barrier for potential pocket pc buyers. This is not to say Dell won't sell them..I think they'll sell alot...but I don't think they are offering a superior product to the Viewsonic.

But this is based only off of looks and an incredibly slight weight differences. I carry that might weight difference in spare change I'd be willing to bet. If you put the Dell in your right pocket and you start to lean, offload a few pennies from your left pocket and you'll balance out. :lol:

SofaTater
11-14-2002, 05:25 PM
I would have to count myself among those who don't really care if the slot is SD or SDIO. I have no plans at this point to need wireless capabilities. And when you're only spending $300 or so on a device, I think I could justify buying a new device is this becomes a need in the future (particularly considering that price/feature ratio will probably even be lower a year from now).

I also don't care all that much about replaceable batteries. There are few times that I don't have a power outlet (either at home, in the office, or in the car) available for charging a device.

I am most concerned with having a pocketable device with a readable screen and some decent software.

Wiggin
11-14-2002, 07:09 PM
I hate to break this to the forum, but most people take very few business trips each year, and despite all the KPMG/Accenture/PWC/CGEY/Global solutions companies, those consultants are a very small percentage of the populace.

Hey, as one of "those" folks, I would ask that you call us the Accenture/KPMG/PWC/CGEY/Global solutions companies... ya know, in best to worst sequence! :lol: :wink:
Rock on! :way to go:

Wiggin
11-14-2002, 07:22 PM
However, they'll sell plenty of these so it will be well worth their time/effort.
1) First group of purchasers doesn't know what a slot is and doesn't care and won't ever care. Probably a Palm convert. - Happy owner
2) Second group ...... etc. etc.

Was looking for my group... can't find it??
x) The group of buyers (purchaser is a label I avoid!) who knows what SDIO is, but likes to see others fumble over it, goes ahead and buys a non-SDIO unit because...well, just because it's kewl... inserts an SD card for memory use only, knowing full well it will work, and sees that the SD memory actually ON the card is NOT what is shown on the label, and once again knocks self for buying a cheapo SD card that is poorly made!

Ah, comeon...there's got to be more than 1 in this group?? :lol:
Great list! :way to go:

TomB
11-14-2002, 07:38 PM
I just checked and Ingram Micro doesn't list the ViewSonic V35 for distribution in the USA until November 30th. That means "SOON" actually is sometime next month. If you think about it, who would release anything NOW that they could hold for a showcase and press attention at COMDEX November 18th (Dell's published release date)?

Thunderstruck
11-14-2002, 08:04 PM
In their official press release linked on their main page.....

http://www.viewsonic.com/companyinfo/pressrelease_detail_160.htm

"while a built-in Secure Digital (SD) slot provides additional memory, input-output and connectivity options"

"input-output and connectivity options" leads me to believe that it is indeed SDIO. Now, is this an honest mistake, or a fact? That is the question.....

Mullet
11-14-2002, 08:19 PM
From the front page:

I really hope this is the last time I have to post on this. Straight from the email message of a Viewsonic PR person:

"The device is SDIO capable, we will be offering SDIO accessories soon after the beginning of the year."

Excellent! Now if only Amazon.com would start taking orders again...

....Anyway, as a first time PDA shopper (I use the Franklin paper system now), I want to know how tough this thing is. For me it's going to be the V35, Dell, Toshiba or even the new iPaq. In general are these things to be used with care, or are they fairly 'tough'. Also, for what its worth, I could care less if it was SDIO capable or not.

shawnc
11-14-2002, 08:49 PM
From the front page:

....Anyway, as a first time PDA shopper (I use the Franklin paper system now), I want to know how tough this thing is. For me it's going to be the V35, Dell, Toshiba or even the new iPaq. In general are these things to be used with care, or are they fairly 'tough'. Also, for what its worth, I could care less if it was SDIO capable or not.

Welcome to the PPC world. You will get a lot of great information about the units you mentioned above on this site.

ThomasC22
11-15-2002, 03:37 AM

Well, here's the sad truth. PDAs are fragile, very fragile in fact. The best thing you can do is get a good case for it with a very sturdy screen cover.