View Full Version : NET available?

lderooy
11-12-2002, 05:40 PM
I started to look into developing with the .NET Compact Framework but after installing Visual Studio .Net on my computer found that the .NEt Compact Framework is closed for beta testers and "will be available soon". Does anyone know when "soon" is?

David McNamee
11-12-2002, 06:22 PM
Anyone who can tell you that is under a non-disclosure agreement with Microsoft.

If you are serious about getting into development using the CF, check out the CF team's site on GotDotNet http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/netcf/default.aspx and the articles on DevBuzz http://www.devbuzz.com/ if you haven't already. Now is a very good time to get started.

lderooy
11-13-2002, 03:25 AM
Thanks. I would not want anyone to break a non-disclosure agreement. I was just wondering if Microsoft had advertised a projected date and I could not find it. I already looked at teh devbuzz site and will check out the other.

Peter Foot
11-16-2002, 02:37 PM
From what has been banded around on various public newsgroups the release will be Q1 2003. There will be a low cost upgrade for existing VS2002 users

Mike Temporale
11-26-2002, 06:19 PM
I was told at the Fall MSDN tour last week that .NET Compact Framework is due to be released with the next version of Visual Studio .NET in April of 2003.

The Microsoft Rep, also said the 'low cost upgrade' was to be $29. But this is ONLY if you have Visual Studio .NET

twowheels
12-15-2002, 01:24 PM
I've also heard late Q1 next year for VS.NET 2003.

Given the Professional edition will be ~$1000, anyone know if VC#.NET (i.e. the 'Standard' edition of VS) will include the CF & smart device extensions? I've looked on the MS website but it doesn't say one way or the other.

Kirkaiya
12-16-2002, 11:53 PM
I've also heard late Q1 next year for VS.NET 2003.

Given the Professional edition will be ~$1000, anyone know if VC#.NET (i.e. the 'Standard' edition of VS) will include the CF & smart device extensions? I've looked on the MS website but it doesn't say one way or the other.

Well, I don't have a definite answer to your question, but since the .NET Compact Framework (final RTM) went out with VS.NET 2003 Beta 2, I would say it's likely to be included with the final product as well.

Also - the "standard" edition of VS.NET includes support for C#, and VB.NET at a minimum (I can't remember whether i just chose not to install C++.NET (Managed) or if it wasn't an option).

Anyway - since they all compile to MSIL, there will be virtually no difference in capability between VB.NET and C#. There are other language packs available, from Microsoft and others (Fujitsu has COBOL.NET, and Micrsoft has J++.NET - a Java clone, basically).