View Full Version : what kind of file is this?

vincentsiaw
11-12-2002, 06:07 AM
hey gusy, i just wondering if you guys know what kind of file is this: CMMapG, CMMapP, GcounterFile, mdmlog.... this file appears on the file explorer under my device, what is this actually, is it useful, or we can just delete it ? :roll:

thanks for the answer!

Pony99CA
11-12-2002, 03:51 PM
hey gusy, i just wondering if you guys know what kind of file is this: CMMapG, CMMapP, GcounterFile, mdmlog.... this file appears on the file explorer under my device, what is this actually, is it useful, or we can just delete it ? :roll:

I have CMMapG, CMMapP and GCounterFile.mmf, too. The CMMap files *may* be something for Connection Manager, and GCounterFile.mmf appears to be used by CE Mapi. I tried looking at those files in a text editor, but that's all I could figure out, so I'd keep them. (The CMMap files are both 60 bytes or less, so why even worry about them? GCounterFile.mmf is 10.3 K, so that might be a different story.)

I had mdmlog files -- mdmlog6.txt and mdmlog10.txt. Those appear to be log files, and can be deleted. (I deleted mine and haven't seen any problems.)

If they really bother you, cut and paste those files to a Temp directory and see what happens. If they're really necessary, the programs that use them will probably recreate them. If some programs stop working, move them back.

Steve

Small Town Man
11-12-2002, 08:03 PM
If you mess around with CMMapG, CMMapP and GCounterFile.mmf the PIE will stop working (other online services like MSM, mail etc may still work).
You can repair the files by running "welcome.exe" out of the windows folder.

It's save to delete the mdmlog files.

vincentsiaw
11-13-2002, 05:19 AM
thanks for the advice guys, now i know what files is that, and you guys are rite when i try to delete those files, the PIE stop to work, anyway now i know how to repair it thanks to you ! :wink:

Pony99CA
11-13-2002, 07:13 PM
If you mess around with CMMapG, CMMapP and GCounterFile.mmf the PIE will stop working (other online services like MSM, mail etc may still work).
You can repair the files by running "welcome.exe" out of the windows folder.

Exactly how does Pocket Internet Explorer stop working? I tried it, and some things didn't seem to work, while others did.

For example, my MultiIE preset to Pocket Google (http://www.google.com/ie) seemed to stop working, but typing "www.google.com" into PIE worked fine.

AvantGo also seemed to fail.

We've established that these files are necessary for PIE, but I'm curious what they're for exactly. And why didn't Microsoft put these files in the Windows directory if they're required? Putting them in the device root seems stupid. It just makes people wonder why they're there. :-)

Steve

ctmagnus
08-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Putting them in the device root seems stupid. It just makes people wonder why they're there. :-)

Steve

It also makes people want to go <delete> <delete> <delete>. :wink: