View Full Version : Pocket PC 2002 Emulator

Kage
11-12-2002, 12:49 AM
Hi,
You must be experts of all sorts here and you may probably know this but I'd like to share it with you.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnppc2k2/html/PocketPC2002DownloadsNodeAnchorPage.asp

This link takes you to MSDN library in the Pocket PC 2002 Emulator page.
You can download the SDK, emBedded visual tools and the emulator images. Btw I couldnt make the Japanese emulator file work, even though I made the registry adujustments.

:wink: Cya

Sven Johannsen
11-12-2002, 02:21 AM
Just an FYI for anybody not familiar with the PocketPC emulator. It is a part of the embedded visual tools development kit. which is free from MS. It is an embeded part of the development environment, designed to test code in progress, both eVB and eC++.

It is NOT, a standalone app that allows running downloaded PPC apps on the desktop. It won't even allow running downloaded apps from within the development environment, unless you have the source code in eVB or eC++.

There are additions to the development environment for PPC2002 support as well as language support to allow developers to est theeir apps in different environments, both software generation and language.

There is not at this time any emulator that will let you run PPC programs on the desktop.

rave
11-21-2002, 11:02 AM
Haven't tried it yet, but I think you could. The documentation says that you can connect ActiveSync to the emulator, and transfer files to and from the emulator (I think you need a special loopback cable). I'll reply back if I get it to work. :)

bdeli
11-22-2002, 04:37 AM
Haven't tried it yet, but I think you could. The documentation says that you can connect ActiveSync to the emulator, and transfer files to and from the emulator (I think you need a special loopback cable). I'll reply back if I get it to work. :)

You do not need any loopback cable - i was using my wifi connection to copy the cab/exe files to my ipaq. You need to have an activesync connection though.

Kati Compton
11-22-2002, 08:38 AM

You do not need any loopback cable - i was using my wifi connection to copy the cab/exe files to my ipaq. You need to have an activesync connection though.

Not even that - you can do remote file viewer, which is almost like FTP-ing back and forth between your computer and the emulator. In this case, the emulator and the computer actually communicate over TCP/IP.

Kati

sullivanpt
11-22-2002, 09:10 PM
Sadly, the emulator only runs programs that are compiled for the x86. Most programs you download for the Pocket PC will be compiled for the SH3, MIPS, or strongarm processors.

(Of course if you have the source code and you have Embedded Visual C/Basic installed, then you can target any processor you wish, including the x86).

PPCdev
01-26-2003, 03:28 PM
Sadly, the emulator only runs programs that are compiled for the x86. Most programs you download for the Pocket PC will be compiled for the SH3, MIPS, or strongarm processors.

Not sure what your talking about here, but in eVB when I preview my program on the emulator, it appears to function properly, which leads me to think that the program I just wrote in eVB targeted for the 2K2 OS specifically the ARM processor is executing in the eumulator on an X86 machine.

That is, VB6 programs wont work with the emulator, but eVB programs will function properly.

What am I missing here?

Kati Compton
01-26-2003, 06:02 PM
Not sure what your talking about here, but in eVB when I preview my program on the emulator, it appears to function properly, which leads me to think that the program I just wrote in eVB targeted for the 2K2 OS specifically the ARM processor is executing in the eumulator on an X86 machine.

That is, VB6 programs wont work with the emulator, but eVB programs will function properly.

What am I missing here?

I don't know how eVB works (never used it, have never used Visual Basic), if when compiled it's a intermediate format or if it's actually compiled to machine-level code.

But on eVC, which is fully compiled, programs will only run on the emulator if they've been compiled specifically for the emulator. Basically, you can think of the emulator as a PocketPC 2002 unit that has an x86 processor instead of an ARM-based one. So similar to how you cannot download a MIPS compile PPC 2000 program and run it on an ARM machine, you cannot run an ARM program on the x86 emulator. The ARM processor itself is not emulated.

The debugger, unless you're debugging on an acutal device in a cradle, compiles to x86 because that's what it needs for testing. Then, once you've finished debugging your program, you have to compile to ARM to actually execute it on a PPC.

HTH

PPCdev
01-26-2003, 10:03 PM
Oh... I C now.. Thanx! That makes perfect sense.

Peter Foot
01-27-2003, 04:06 PM

I don't know how eVB works (never used it, have never used Visual Basic), if when compiled it's a intermediate format or if it's actually compiled to machine-level code.

eVB is interpretted on the device, so its not actually compiled to machine code or even intermediate code, you can open up the .vb file in notepad and see your code (with spaces between each character)

This is why the performance of .NET and eVC++ is better because the code is part or fully compiled respectively so the device needs to do less work when the application runs...

SteveR
03-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Quick question - I installed the EVC dev environment on my Dell laptop (XP Professional). I was able to successfully build my project, but when I tried to connect to the PPC 2002 emulator (x86 Debug) it rebooted my laptop! Threw me right out of Windows XP! 8O !

Has anybody heard of this? Does anybody know what might be the problem?

Peter Foot
03-28-2003, 05:00 PM
Quick question - I installed the EVC dev environment on my Dell laptop (XP Professional). I was able to successfully build my project, but when I tried to connect to the PPC 2002 emulator (x86 Debug) it rebooted my laptop! Threw me right out of Windows XP! 8O !

Has anybody heard of this? Does anybody know what might be the problem?

One of the "Features" in XP is it automatically reboots on a blue-screen crash. If you turn off this feature you might be able to determine the cause of the crash

Control Panel > System > Advanced
Un-check Automatically Restart

HTH

Peter