View Full Version : Laptop - T-Mobile PPCPE phone socket

kneofyte
11-10-2002, 08:26 PM
For all folks with a T-Mobile PPCPE. Does it have a socket which I can use to connect to my Laptop's modem? I have a dial up connection to my ISP from my Laptop. The Laptop has an in-built modem. I need to connect the Laptop to a phone so as to dial up my ISP. So can I use the T-Mobile PPCPE as a phone? I called up customer support and he didnt understand what I was talking about.

Thanks,

Russ
11-11-2002, 03:32 PM
You can connect through ActiveSync if you wish to access the web from your PocketPC over the line connected to your laptop. Slight problems is that it will be in the cradle an you have to connect the laptop to your ISP - but you could use the speaker phone function in the XDA or a usb sync & charge type cable.

Hope this helps,
Russ
P.S. You could of course connect directly using your XDA !

kneofyte
11-11-2002, 05:49 PM
Russ, Thanks for the reply but I still aint clear. I do not want to access the web on my PPCPE through the line connected to my laptop. I just want to know if I can use my PPCPE as a ordinary phone so as to connect my laptop modem to the PPCPE. I want to access the net on the laptop and not PPCPE. For that I need to connect a phone cable from the laptop modem to the PPCPE in order to dial up my ISP. For that, does the PPCPE have a socket??

Thanks

Russ
11-11-2002, 07:19 PM
OK, so if I've got this right - You want to connect your laptop to the internet via the phone/modem bit of your XDA ? I'm not entirely sure why you would want to do this ? But I guess there could be a few ways - none- of which I have tried, and unless you're pretty technical it maybe a non-starter. But you could try a serial link cable (you can get them for the XDA) to your XDA from your laptop and try issuing some dialing commands over it. (Not hopefull of this, in fact I'm not sure if the XDA contains a real modem - certainly no fax stuff) Secondly you could set up your XDA as a web server and try the active sync route with XDA connected to the internet and the laptop browser pointing to the XDA as a proxy. Kinda of like browsing the web from your PocketPC via your laptop but in reverse. It sounds kind of messy but it might work. Try http://www.cam.com/vxweb.html for the a WinCE web server but it's worth asking them before you buy it - I may be barking up completely the wrong tree. In any event I expect it's going to entail messing around with ports and the like.

Not much help I feel. If you don't mind me asking why do you want to do this ?

Russ

Jason Dunn
11-11-2002, 07:25 PM
As far as I know, this isn't possible at this time - Microsoft didn't build the ability into the Phone Edition OS to have the XDA act as a modem.

kneofyte
11-12-2002, 02:35 AM
Thanks Russ and Jason for your replies. But I feel really embarassed at not being able to state my question clearly. No wonder the Customer support guy went nuts :( Let me go once again. This is a trivial question , I suppose. I don't want to use my T-Mobile PPCPE as a modem but as a phone only. I have an inbuilt modem in my Laptop. I just need a phone to connect to so that I can access the Internet whenever I am on the move. So does the phone have a telephone socket which I can connect, from my Laptop's internal modem?

kneofyte
11-28-2002, 10:35 AM
I just got my brand new T-Mobile pocket pc. I am pretty excited exploring it. I just found that it doesnot have a phone socket unlike my kyocera palm os phone. So I need to still take the kyocera with me to connect my Laptop to my ISP( I was thinking of selling the kyocera :( But thats fine, so far everthing with the PPCPE is exciting!! 8)