View Full Version : Toshiba e330: problems with connection

Jestyr
11-10-2002, 12:08 PM
Hi all,

I've just bought a Toshiba e330, and while I'm very happy with the device itself, I'm having real troubles hooking it up to my PC.

I've installed ActiveSync from the included CD rom just fine, and then hooked up the cradle as instructed. I drop the unit in, and the Windows "Found new hardware" wizard starts - but it tells me it can't identify the hardware, and asks me for a driver, which of course I don't have. (There are no driver .inf files on the included CD rom.)

Equally, when running ActiveSync, it checks the ports and tells me that USB is available but it can't find anything on the other end.

Help! This is incredibly frustrating, since being unable to sync it to a desktop machine obviously makes it a lot less useful. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

-J

ThomasC22
11-10-2002, 07:29 PM
Help! This is incredibly frustrating, since being unable to sync it to a desktop machine obviously makes it a lot less useful. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

-J

What operating System are you using?

Jestyr
11-10-2002, 11:25 PM
Win 2K.

Oh, and I've tried it in both USB ports, too - both of which work fine with various other USB devices.

-J

spursdude
11-10-2002, 11:37 PM
With ActiveSync setup, try putting your e330 in the cradle at various times of the testing. Try it without the e330 in cradle, try it with it in, try putting it in in the middle.

You can also try the usual - reinstalling ActiveSync. Oh yeah - soft reset on the e330 may actually help (although I don't know how).

What are you first impressions on the e330? I'm dying to know. :D

ThomasC22
11-11-2002, 09:38 PM
A few things to consider...

First try here:

http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:_LFj2hp6bIIC:www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/stepbystep/synctroubles.asp+Problem+Activesync+Windows+2000&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Second, make sure you have compatibility mode set as yes in the Bios (shouldn't make a difference but it sometimes does).

Also, look in the Windows 2000 device manager under USB devices for "unknown devices". If there are any, unplug the pocketpc, removed the device from the device manager, then plug the cradle back in.

Hope it helps!

johnhesse
11-14-2002, 06:10 PM
Same prob here, just bought the e330 and now find that I cannot use the USB port on my Windows NT 4.0 machine.
How do you get around this problem?
Can you get a USB to serial 'dongle'? will it need a diver/ if so which one?

Help,
John

Jestyr
11-25-2002, 10:16 AM
Thomas, thanks for the help, but so far it hasn't made a difference.

I give up. Does anyone have the necessary .inf files for an e330?

-J

Trent
01-12-2003, 12:21 PM
I have a very similar problem with activesync 3.5 and win XP, i just got a e330 and it will not sync, XP detects the device and tells me what it is and then goes on to install drivers for it from the cd that came with the pda but when activesunc trys to connect to it it tells me that the USB is available but not in use. I have tried everything i can think of from reinstalling activesync, to gettting activesync 3.6, next i am going to try 3.1 and see how that goes.

The weird thing is when i plug it in to and remove it from the cradle a distinctive noise is played, so it is detecting it, just not syncing with it. If anyone has figured out this problem i would be very apreciative of any help you can offer.

onlyinsider
01-13-2003, 11:37 PM
You can install this by pointing to the WCEUSBSH.INF file in the root directory of your Toshiba PocketPC "Companion CD"

Your machine will do a "Discovering New Hardware" search, make sure you point it to your cd-rom drive, then let it install it.

If you need these install files, let me know at [email protected], and I can send them to you.

rlvdijk
01-16-2003, 11:48 PM
Hi there,

Well, i guess a few of you need the drivers for the USB support on the Toshiba e330 series and the e740. I've got the e335 and 'm very pleased with it, even ActiveSync works great.

Mail me and i will send you the drivers...

Greetings,

Rutger van Dijk

xibernex
01-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Hi there,

Well, i guess a few of you need the drivers for the USB support on the Toshiba e330 series and the e740. I've got the e335 and 'm very pleased with it, even ActiveSync works great.

Mail me and i will send you the drivers...

Greetings,

Rutger van Dijk

Rutger Van,

Can you please email me the drivers(Windows XP /2K), by the way what OS are you using? My email is [email protected]

Thanks

dslkratt
09-01-2003, 04:55 AM
Hi, I have the same problem as you.

Did you solve it???

Please tell me how you did it

kirsh
09-21-2003, 08:23 AM
does anybody solve this , how ????

kirsh
09-21-2003, 07:35 PM
ActiveSync 3.5 doesn't work, ActiveSync 3.6 too, all is OK with ActiveSync 3.7...

Steve Jordan
01-10-2004, 01:34 PM
Make sure you check ActiveSync's end on the PPC. Open it, click Tools/Options, go to the PC tab, and make sure "enable synchronization" is checked, and USB is selected in the box. If your PC is being used as a server, include the server name in the appropriate place.

tanalasta
01-11-2004, 04:27 AM
Are you people saying that your computer will not sync with your device? Or that it won't recognise it all together because Windows can't find the driver.

If it's the latter problem, I suggest that when the Windows wizard asks you where the driver is located, point it to e: and let it search your e330 installation cd... you may or may not be pleasantly surprised ;) Otherwise, toshiba has online interactive tech-support where you can chat with one of their customer service reps online...

andysoon
01-11-2004, 05:07 PM
HI all,

So far i'm using e750 and its performance is exhilirating.
The battery life is ok and the speed is fast.

Live PDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!