View Full Version : CAB download site

mscdex
11-10-2002, 02:37 AM
Hi, I'm in the process of starting a CAB file download site for those who wish to download software on-the-fly while on their PocketPC with an internet connection.
The reason i'm starting a site dedicated to downloading CABs only, is that I got tired of needing to download a specific app or game, but I always found that the only download available was the activesync installer.
I just wanted to know what people would like to see on the site (e.g. what software for pocketpc they would like to see available for download).
Thank you ahead of time for your suggestions.

Coralie
11-10-2002, 06:30 AM
:way to go: good one, mscdex.

i can't really contribute much in reply since i don't have internet access via my ipaq, but i just wanted to say "well done" on the initiative & good luck with it. you rule .. :rock on dude!:

mscdex
11-10-2002, 06:39 AM
Well, you don't necessarily have to have an internet connection via your pocketpc to help contribute. If anyone can tell me some specific programs that would be worth posting would help out a lot. :)

Steven Cedrone
11-10-2002, 06:43 AM
Just a thought: make sure to get permission to distribute the software from the developers before you post it on your site...

Great idea though, there have been times I wish I didn't need ActiveSync to install an app when desperate and traveling...

Steve

Coralie
11-10-2002, 06:51 AM
well, assuming that i used my ipaq for things more important than listening to music, watching short animations & writing the occasional diary entry & that i was forced to do a hard reset or some such thing while i was on the road, this is the list of apps that i would not want to do without until i returned to my pc:

- battery pack (for the program bar)
- gigatask
- pocket backup (to restore all my stuff)

& not as important, but i'd still like to have it:

- fitaly keyboard

mscdex
11-10-2002, 06:58 AM
Thank you for your suggestions. Keep them coming :D

Gary Garland, Esq.
11-10-2002, 09:13 PM
Hi - I'm all for it - heck, i wrote an article about it! and while i think it would be great to have a software repository, unless you get copyright holder's permission i'll be visiting you in jail - do not pass go, do not collect a whole lot of anything...on the other hand, shareware cabs, and probably device driver cabs would probably go over well - if you wanted, you could contact the developers, such as think outside/targus for the stowaway, as my favorite example. Who knows, maybe you can start a new site and make millions doing this! (or at least lunch money)...
Best of luck,
Gary :P

mscdex
11-10-2002, 09:18 PM
Just to clear up any confusion, I'm only going to have shareware/freeware software posted on the site, unless the developer/company gives me permission to post a full version. Any more ideas on what software to include?

Coralie
11-10-2002, 09:56 PM
if nothing else, perhaps they might give you permission to keep the trial versions of software. most of the eval copies seem to have enough functionality to get you going, at least in an 'emergency' situation ..

i really know nothing about this, i'm just throwing ideas around .. :oops:

mscdex
11-10-2002, 09:58 PM
well, like i said above, that is the only software i'll be including: shareware (for example: trial versions), and freeware. :wink:

Coralie
11-11-2002, 09:02 AM
well, like i said above, that is the only software i'll be including: shareware (for example: trial versions), and freeware. :wink:
oh .. i always assumed there was a difference between shareware & trial versions. :oops:

mscdex
11-11-2002, 12:33 PM
Well, not usually, the terms are synonymous for the most part.

MikeB
11-12-2002, 02:05 AM
I think the mobile site is a great idea, always nice to see new places for people to pick up software. Another resource would be mobile.handango.com where there are many titles currently available for download as .cab files straight to your device.

Mike B.

mscdex
11-12-2002, 03:56 AM
Yes, but the problem with mobile.handango.com is that the titles that are listed, you have to pay for the program before you can even download it. So that means, at least by what I saw on that site, they do not offer shareware/freeware versions of programs for download for Pocket PC. The aim of my site is to allow this, the downloading of the cabs of shareware AND freeware versions of programs.
I have recently contacted several developers and it seems that some are reluctant to allow me post the .cab versions of their programs. So for the time being, it seems that you are out of luck, and will need to use the desktop installer version.

mtillett
11-12-2002, 11:07 PM
I had this same problem when the drivers for my wireless card needed to be reinstalled every few days for some reason (Boy was I glad when Cisco fixed their drivers!). After lots of frustration I opted for a "personal" archive for my apps. I made a zip file of all the .CABs I reguarly use and put that zip file, along with the CAB for Resco File Zipper in the File Store of my iPAQ. This provides me with a quick and easy way to do keep a backup of apps ready to install directly on my iPAQ. For that matter you could place the zipfile almost anywhere (storage card, personal webspace, email attachment, whatever). Just make sure that Zipper (or another Zip utility) is outside the zipfile itself in case of a hard reset. You have to either include the files in an archive or alter them so that they do not automatically delete themselves after installing. I like the idea of a "public" site but since it looks like the site idea might not pan out this is one option for folks. Hope this helps someone :D

mscdex
11-13-2002, 12:45 AM
Let me clear some things up again since my last post: Hardly any developers have told me so far that I cannot provide a CAB version of their software on my site. There are plenty that ARE allowing me. But even for those that do not, there are many, many other programs out there that I can post in place of them.

Anyone have any more ideas on what (specific?) software they would like to see?

mscdex
11-18-2002, 04:26 AM
i need app/game suggestions guys and gals if you are truly interested in the site i'm creating. :wink:

spursdude
11-19-2002, 01:56 AM
games:
-dopewars!
-super bomberman
-pocket snes
-peter's gamebox

apps
-gigabar
-note M
-pocket divx
-pocket tv
-peter's viewer
-ms reader
-frequency tuner

well now you basically have a list of what's on my pocket pc...except shareware stuff that i'm too cheap to register.

are you allowed to host demos and trial versions? if so get snails for sure...

mscdex
11-19-2002, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the list, it really does help. The more programs the better, so keep the ideas coming. Also, shareware, trial, and freeware programs (apps and games) are the only software that are to be posted on the site, unless the developer allows me to post the full version.