View Full Version : ACT! For Pocket PC Enters Beta

Ed Hansberry
11-09-2002, 10:00 PM
<a href="http://www.act.com/community/pocketpclink_beta/index.cfm">http://www.act.com/community/pocketpclink_beta/index.cfm</a><br /><br />ACT! was available for the Palm-sized PC several years ago but was dropped months before the original Pocket PC 2000 devices started shipping. It looks like they are getting back into the game. If you use ACT! on your desktop and would be interested in participating in their Pocket PC link, sign up for the beta.<br /><br />Requirements to participate in the beta:<br />• Pocket PC or Pocket PC 2002<br />• ACT! 6.0<br />• Single and multi-user databases are welcome

EricMCarson
11-10-2002, 12:15 AM
Ed, this is a beta test for a link or conduit only, not for a version of ACT! on the PPC. I would literally kill for a full featured version of ACT! on the PPC that works (pinpoint tools is working on this, but isn't close yet). I can't see the use for another link or conduit to get my ACT! data on my PPCs. I already use CompanionLink and it works fine. Let me know if there is anything extraordinarily different from the ACT! branded conduit and whether I should switch.

heyday
11-10-2002, 04:02 AM
How is Trans/Act. You say it is not perfect? My father uses ACT and I want to get him a PPC for Christmas but he has to be able to sync his ACT....

I saw their site.... http://www.recsnet.com/products/ta-pocketpc.htm

but wondered how well it works.

heyday

ricksfiona
11-10-2002, 04:06 AM
Yup, it's only a conduit. ACT! for PPC would rule!

A full featured version of ACT! just came out for the Palm, which doesn't make much sense to me since the Palm is underpowered for all but the smaller databases.

Yes, a version of ACT! for the PPC would work great! In ACT! 6.0, you can move your appointments and task over to Outlook quite easily and have ActiveSync synchronize with the PPC. It's okay except that you can't sync' your contacts. So your contacts aren't current.

I'm not interested in an ACT! conduit. Sure It would be nice to have my contact information totally current on my PPC, but I'm managing just fine. ACT!, please don't mess with the conduit and go straight to the full-blown program :(

EricMCarson
11-10-2002, 05:24 AM
How is Trans/Act. You say it is not perfect? My father uses ACT and I want to get him a PPC for Christmas but he has to be able to sync his ACT....

I saw their site.... http://www.recsnet.com/products/ta-pocketpc.htm

but wondered how well it works.

heyday

Actually, it's not even close to perfect . . . yet. The developers seem committed to making the necessary improvements, but currently, Trans/ACT is only a one way sync from desktop to PPC and brings over an entire database worth of data (including other user's meetings, which clutters up the calendar). Not to mention that the calendar and task list view is not useable in the current form because it is purely a database view (by line item) the the meetings and to-dos (no graphical output at all). But the contact view and customize-ability (sure, we'll just make that word up) makes it worthy to try out (it definitely isn't worth $79.99 in its' current form).

tonymus
11-11-2002, 05:34 AM
Yup, it's only a conduit. ACT! for PPC would rule!

A full featured version of ACT! just came out for the Palm, which doesn't make much sense to me since the Palm is underpowered for all but the smaller databases.
:(

You've got that right! :( I have a Kyocera 6035, and the unit is "Not Recommended" because it is too slow. Plus, they don't support Kyocera's telephony features.

Act! 6.0 has been nothing short of a major disappointment for me. It added a few modest features I almost never use, and took away support for Eudora Mail, which I rely on. I'll keep it for awhile, because it does what I need, but I will keep my options open when it comes time to upgrade...

John0866
03-11-2003, 12:02 AM
:idea: I know this is a little late, but I'd actually rather see a conduit. More software to slow down the machine - no thanks. Currently beta testing TransAct 1.9 (soon to be ver.2.0)... be careful what you wish for. Yes it is only a late beta, but man is it slow (unusable slow to use and sync). I'd rathe rhave a slow sync and fast use in the field. Palm and Palm sync work great native, fast and accurate - let's see the same for Pocket PC. And it's all free!