View Full Version : What's wrong with me?

mattsmith0622
11-09-2002, 05:15 PM
Just got my device back yesterday, complete with 64 megs of RAM!! This thing is great. PocketPCTechs does amazing work and I highly recommend them and the upgrade to everyone. There are no signs that the device was opened up. No scratches at all.

There's only one problem. While I was waiting for my PPCPE to come back from PocketPCTechs I was using another handset. Now that I have my PPCPE back I can't seem to give this other phone up. I loaded all of my applications onto my PPCPE (all into RAM mind you, not onto an SD...YEA POCKETPCTECHS!!), put the SIM into it, then pulled the SIM out because I would rather use the other phone. The PPCPE is a wonderful PDA, especially with the upgrade, but I have no desire to use the phone features.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!?![/b]

RDC
11-10-2002, 04:21 PM
What kind of phone are you using?

mattsmith0622
11-10-2002, 04:26 PM
I started using a Motorola Timeport P280. I wonder if I should just sell my PPCPE.

ECOslin
11-10-2002, 05:32 PM
Maybe you found something that works for you?

I've got a cell phone, Sprint TP2200, nice phone, but I'm always leaving it at home and using other peoples business lines to do my calling anyway.

I'm good at keeping a pager with me, the cell phone I forget.

Edward

Janak Parekh
11-11-2002, 04:29 AM
I started using a Motorola Timeport P280. I wonder if I should just sell my PPCPE.
You've gotta be kidding me. I just sent my T68 in for firmware upgrade and have been suffering with the piece of crap that is the P280. While it has good reception, everything else about it sucks:
- Weak earpiece. I know about the sweet spot bit, it's still not loud enough in NYC;
- Horribly slow and mangled address book. It's so damn slow with SIM addresses and such, makes it near-impossible to scroll.
- Terrible user interface. Have you tried finding the place to set the time? It's absolutely buried.
- Buttons are hard to press. I need to do keylock on this thing, and the middle button before you hit the star is stiff like anything. Plus you must hit the star almost immediately after else the keylock doesn't take.
- B&W screen that's lousy for WAP surfing.
- No easy cordless way to hook up to Pocket PC.

... and on, and on, and on. Even the T68 with its slightly weaker reception is a much better phone for a power-user IMHO. I could understand if you're comparing it against, say, a Nokia 7210, but not against this unit! :-D

--bdj

mattsmith0622
11-11-2002, 04:36 AM
Typical New Yorker.

Slow down a tick. I'm not comparing my T-Mobile device to my Timeport P280. The question was asked what cell phone I am using. I answered the question. I could be using a damn tin can and string, give it a name, the fact would still remain that I don't dig using the T-Mobile as a phone, but as a PDA it's great.

Good God man, let me send you a couple of Xanax.

Janak Parekh
11-11-2002, 05:01 PM
Typical New Yorker.
Hah, you'd be surprised.

I'm not comparing my T-Mobile device to my Timeport P280.
Sure you are: "Now that I have my PPCPE back I can't seem to give this other phone up."

Good God man, let me send you a couple of Xanax.
Ahem, let me quote you: "WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!?!"

Don't ask that first and then consider me stressed. Honestly, I couldn't care less... more power to you if you find the P280 as a better tool, but the P280 is a weak GSM phone featurewise compared to most modern phones. And I study the market very closely. If you enjoy the P280 so much, what motivated you to get the PPCPE in the first place, considering its added cost, etc.? Are you sure you're willing to give those features up?

--bdj

Kati Compton
11-11-2002, 06:06 PM
I know when I've looked at the T-Mobile and other PDA/phone hybrids I was turned off by the bulkiness in terms of phone use. I like small phones (provided the buttons are still reasonable size!).

I don't know that I will want to merge cell phone with PDA just because I want different ergonomics on each. I'd like a big screen on my PDA, but I want a small screen on my phone to keep the footprint small. Different needs = different devices. Not to mention that I worry that if my cheek is oily or I just put on makeup/sunscreen/moisturizer/etc. that it might rub off on my expensive PDA and damage/gross-up the screen.

Of course, I'd like constant internet connectivity on the PDA for when I'm away from home, but that has to wait until I have a better salary. ;)

RDC
11-11-2002, 07:26 PM
I'm very satisfied with my PPC Phone. In future models I believe the ergonomics will improve (where is the jog-wheel?!). Although, I don't know how the "facial oil on the screen" problem will ever be solved. Personally, I'm over it. I was constantly cleaning the screen on my old Nokia any ways.

As cool as a really nice bluetooth enabled phone and pda combo sounds, I don't think I could go back to 2 devices. Of course, everyone is different.

Matt, I understand the P280 is a good phone. I know a LOT of people that are happy with it.

[/quote]