View Full Version : Not Getting the Mobile Site?

Jason Dunn
11-07-2002, 07:55 PM
We're trying to track down why this is happening, but if you're visiting this site on your Pocket PC and not getting directed to the mobile version of the site, please do the following: <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/tools/ua.php">go to this page</a>, and respond to this thread with your browser string. We're not sure why some of you are getting the mobile version and some are not - thanks for your help!

Jason Dunn
11-07-2002, 08:03 PM
The browser string you SHOULD be seeing is:

Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320)

WillyG
11-07-2002, 08:08 PM
Device: Loox 600 - EUU3 installed

Connection method: Cradle passtrough

PocketPcThoughts shows as full version

String: Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; 240x320)

miterb
11-07-2002, 08:31 PM
I see "Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; 240x320)" when I go to the page link (without the quotes, of course.)

I am getting to Thoughts from http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com using my Toshiba e740 via modem. My desktop, my usual reading device is in the shop this week.

I can get a short set of posts if I go to www.pocetpcthoughts.com/mobile. Don't particularly like to as it only has a few of today's articles.

Brad

miterb
11-07-2002, 08:36 PM
Oops, thatURL is www.pocketpcthoughts.com/pocket

Ed Hansberry
11-07-2002, 09:09 PM
Device: Loox 600 - EUU3 installed

Connection method: Cradle passtrough

PocketPcThoughts shows as full version

String: Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; 240x320)
Strange... the PPC is missing....

John Cody
11-07-2002, 09:47 PM
"Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; 240x320)"

Using My Casio E-125

R K
11-07-2002, 09:56 PM
I have a Compaq/HP iPAQ H3970 Pocket PC. I think it's running on EUU2.

Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02Windows CE; PPC; 240x320)

I am using the ActiveSync passthrough connection, and I am seeing the mobile version of the site. It looks nice by the way.

msprague
11-07-2002, 10:20 PM
Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; 240x320)

johncj
11-07-2002, 10:30 PM
I know you didn't ask this question, but when I use my mobile phone to access your site, I get sent to the main page and it kills the browser. Here's the user agent string:
Mozilla/4.0
(MobilePhone
SCP-4900/1.0)
NetFront/3.0
MMP/2.0

Would be nice if you could redirect to the mobile site for those of use with the newer webbrowsing phones.

Steven Cedrone
11-07-2002, 10:40 PM
Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; 240x320)

Steve

heov
11-07-2002, 11:13 PM
Although I changed my reg settings, I used to be redirected to the pocket site (sorry, don't have my PPC right now to copy that string). Anyway, I got on last night and it was the full version; last week it was the pocket version. I made no changes to my device...
HP 548 vs Targus Pocket Modem

Jason Dunn
11-07-2002, 11:44 PM
For those of you that DON'T have "PPC" in the user-agent string, are you running Pocket PC 2000 devices?

Fabrizio Fiandanese
11-08-2002, 12:03 AM
Hi, I've just updated the sniffer code.

Please try hitting www.pocketpcthoughts.com with your PIE now.
I've added support for mobile phones too even though the optimized mobile phones version of the site isn't ready yet.

Fabrizio

dhoward
11-08-2002, 12:27 AM
I just tried w/ my 3955 and Wi-Fi Socket card. Your sniffer worked just find and properly directed me to the pocket version.

Now a quick question for you in return. Any possible way to read the messages in the forum in "Pocket" format?

Txs
david
dallas

WillyG
11-08-2002, 12:34 AM
Hi, I've just updated the sniffer code.

Please try hitting www.pocketpcthoughts.com with your PIE now.
I've added support for mobile phones too even though the optimized mobile phones version of the site isn't ready yet.

Fabrizio

Works now!

Steven Cedrone
11-08-2002, 12:48 AM
For those of you that DON'T have "PPC" in the user-agent string, are you running Pocket PC 2000 devices?

Yes... 8)

See, that's why companies like Microsoft want to drop support for older versions of their software. They don't want to deal with trying to figure out why the "old" stuff doesn't work! :wink:

John Cody
11-08-2002, 02:56 AM

Yes (E-125)

.... It works now, except I am seeing a blue vertical bar just to the right of the date oval header bar - its the same exact height as the date bar. This bar isn't new today, I saw this same vertical bar a few weeks ago when the Pocket PC version of the site was working then.

msprague
11-08-2002, 03:46 AM
I am running PPC 2002 (Maestro) and don't have the PPC.

johncj
11-08-2002, 04:00 AM
Fabrizio,

Thanks for updating the sniffer code. It works perfectly on my mobile phone.

Jorgen
11-08-2002, 07:59 AM
Talking about the mobile version: Please, please, please insert a link to the forums even though they are not formatted for the PPC browser.

Jorgen

WillyG
11-08-2002, 10:28 AM
Please, please, please insert a link to the forums even though they are not formatted for the PPC browser.

Jorgen

I agree. I know its possible to get there now too, but a direct link will save me a minute or two getting there when connecting trough my mobile phone. PocketPcThoughts is too good to miss just because you are traveling ;) Everyone who had tried "surfing" the net using a mobile phone to connect knows it isnt exactly lightspeed.

dhoward
12-04-2002, 05:59 AM
Though it has been a few days, I wanted to revisit this topic, Jason.
Others had requested a possible quick link from the PPC format. Is this possible?

Second question:
If I have a PPC (using Socket Wi-Fi card) but I want to view more than the 10 topic limitations on the Today page, how do I fool the server?

I wanted to read further, to read more articles, but entering just the regular URL is automatically converted to /pocket verison.

Thanks for your hard work. Sorry about shoveling the snow today!

david
dallas

Steven Cedrone
12-04-2002, 01:22 PM
Though it has been a few days, I wanted to revisit this topic, Jason.
Others had requested a possible quick link from the PPC format. Is this possible?

If you tap the "Discuss" under the article, you are in the forums. Seems pretty quick to me :wink:

Second question:
If I have a PPC (using Socket Wi-Fi card) but I want to view more than the 10 topic limitations on the Today page, how do I fool the server?

I wanted to read further, to read more articles, but entering just the regular URL is automatically converted to /pocket verison.

You can use something like Regking (http://www.cewindows.net/applications/regking.htm) to hack your registry:

Makes Pocket IE pretend to be IE 5.5 - Should allow you to access Secure websites like banking or brokerage houses. Right now most sites just check the browser's version and if it is less than 4.02 it does not allow you access. PIE by default reports IE 3.02 so you won't get access.

Just remember, you will have to do a bit of scrolling to navigate the site...

Steve

Jason Dunn
12-13-2002, 12:54 AM
Though it has been a few days, I wanted to revisit this topic, Jason. Others had requested a possible quick link from the PPC format. Is this possible?

We're working on something that will make a lot of sense when you see it (it will be for subscribers only), but until then, Steven's suggestion makes the most sense.

Right now, that's all we have to offer. I know it's frustrating, but it's all part of a plan that will be unveiled soon enough...I hope. ;-)