View Full Version : Dell to Showcase First Handheld

Jason Dunn
11-07-2002, 01:32 AM
<a href="http://www.computerworld.com/mobiletopics/mobile/handhelds/story/0,10801,75672,00.html">http://www.computerworld.com/mobiletopics/mobile/handhelds/story/0,10801,75672,00.html</a><br /><br />We already know most of this news story, but near the end of the article there were a few bits of information that I hadn't yet heard.<br /><br />"In fall 2003, Dell will offer a model with integrated Bluetooth and Wi-Fi with a hardware/software switch between the two, said Macon. Dell is also investigating methods of factory integration like those it does now on desktops, such as burning in a corporate image before units are shipped to the customer. "Whether we do it or not is a pragmatic decision, and we will review it on a case-by-case basis. We are currently doing it for Exxon," said Macon. <br /><br />Dell will include next-business-day advance exchange with one-day turnaround as part of the basic price, and a second-year upgrade for $75, whereas Compaq charges $50 for the first year and $100 for the second."

cpoole
11-07-2002, 05:06 AM
When I bought my IPaq 3670, it cost me over $800 CDN so I wanted to protect my investment by buying the 3 year service contract ($150 CDN). The service from Compaq/HP has been excellent... I recently sent my machine back for work on the battery, power switch and stylus release catch and it was only gone for 2 days. This is the upside of the contract. The down side for me is the amazing leaps in technology as compared to my IPaq. I bought the 3 year contract and the practical side of me will keep me using the IPaq until the contract expires and then a while longer until the IPaq expires. I will only look on with longing at the newer machines with the great displays, game capable buttons, jog shuttles, long battery life... sigh.

I think that an additional year is a good compromise for an extended service contract. If a Pocket PC gets to the point where I can buy one for under $300 CDN, I may not worry about a service contract at all... just chuck the old one away and go for the newest technology.

szamot
11-07-2002, 06:19 AM
only 12 more sleeps, only 12 more sleeps, only 12 more sleeps...I can't waitonly 12 more sleeps, only 12 more sleeps, only 12 more sleeps...I can't wait! only 12 more sleeps, only 12 more sleeps, only 12 more sleeps...I can't waitonly 12 more sleeps, only 12 more sleeps, only 12 more sleeps...Christmas is going to be good and early in arrival.

st63z
11-07-2002, 06:36 AM
I keep reading that article, along with the other rumors about Dell releasing other models come early next year, and somehow mixed it up.

Just now realized they're saying "Fall 2003" for the BT/WiFi model. That's like a FULL YEAR from now?

Jonathon Watkins
11-07-2002, 10:23 AM
Just now realized they're saying "Fall 2003" for the BT/WiFi model. That's like a FULL YEAR from now?

Yes, I had wondered about that - it seems awfully far away..... Perhaps it's not quite right?

Rirath
11-07-2002, 12:49 PM
Szamot, you're forgetting about shipping time. :lol: Unless you hope to grab one at Comdex.

ThomasC22
11-07-2002, 06:04 PM
Yes, I had wondered about that - it seems awfully far away..... Perhaps it's not quite right?

Well, keep in mind, the delay might be more of a "we're waiting to see if this PPC bid pans out sales wise" issue and less of an "our engineers are working on designing new devices" issue.