View Full Version : Pocket PC Phone Edition Reviewed

Andy Sjostrom
11-06-2002, 01:24 PM
<a href="http://writingonyourpalm.net/XDA_Review.htm">http://writingonyourpalm.net/XDA_Review.htm</a><br /><br />Jeff Kirvin has written a solid review of the Pocket PC Phone Edition device known as <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/wireless/B00006IIRQ/jasondunn-20/103-2099890-9234233">T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition</a>, AT&amp;T Siemens SX56 and O2 XDA. Jeff is thorough and to the point. A great review to read if you need to catch up on one of the two coolest phones available today!<br /><br />"Regular readers know it doesn't matter much to me how cool a device is if I can't read it comfortably. I'm happy to report that the screen on the XDA is gorgeous. ... The battery in the XDA is a massive 1,550 mAH, and I generally get about seven hours of on time with both the frontlight and radio on. ... Not surprisingly, since the device is also a speakerphone, the volume levels are much better than most Pocket PCs. The XDA works great as an alarm clock - with SuperAlert installed, natch - and the sound level through the headphones is more than adequate for my WMA and Audible usage. ... The software load is mostly the standard Pocket PC 2002 build, but with extra phone/network stuff. The integration between the PDA and the phone is really slick. ... The phone application runs like any other Pocket PC application. The virtual on-screen buttons are big enough to press accurately with your finger, although I do recommend a good screen protector, especially if you have longish fingernails. ... On the XDA, you can use any .WAV file as your ringtone. The possibilities are endless. Forget the obvious Star Trek or South Park clips. How about a recording of you discretely clearing your throat for use during meetings? ... A connected device is a completely different experience from unconnected PDAs. While I've still got my Toshiba e570 around for emergency backup purposes, I really don't see myself ever using an unconnected device again."

Mr. Anonymous
11-06-2002, 02:42 PM
Good review, but..

As my device was flashed by Microsoft with the latest build of the Phone Edition operating system - rather than T-Mobile's version...

Argh, when do we get this update?!?!

jpaq
11-06-2002, 03:43 PM
I like the form factor. I like the battery. I like a lot about the O2, T-Mobile, AT&T PPC Phone. There are only three things that will hold me back from them.
- Memory
- CF is still the defacto standard for memory and I/O devices. Until SD I/O grows and bacomes affordable, but that seems to be a stalling cause.
- SCREEN COLORS! At my last reading these units were 12 bit. Must have at least 16 bit.

So, give me an (HTC unit name here) with 16 bit screen (transflective better), CF slot, and more installed RAM and ROM and we're there!

Oh. User changeable battery is a plus for something used as heavily as a phone as well. If only for the reality that phone batteries die because of their sheer use and frequency of recharge.

Paul
11-06-2002, 03:55 PM
What I would like to see is a Phone Edition PocketPC with both CF and SD slots. Or, substitute one for built in WiFi. The Maestro's dual slots have spoiled me. I can never go back.

Birdman
11-06-2002, 03:56 PM
What I would like to see is the PPCPhone come to Canada. (I know, I know, I'm repeating myself)

Duncan
11-06-2002, 04:04 PM
Paul,

Now that the GPRS module for the Pocket Loox is cancelled I don't believe there is a single Pocket PC PE in existence or coming up that has both CF and SD slots. Both the current PE PPCs - the HP J928 and XDA/HTC/SX56 etc. - are crippled in their slots - either just SD or just CF type I. Can't see why this has to be...

Paragon
11-06-2002, 04:51 PM
As a user of a T-Mobile XDA I can say that the 12 bit screen is not that big a deal. In all honesty I think the screen on my XDA blows the screen on my HP568 right out of the water. The Jornada is very washed out compared to the XDA. Battery life is not a problem either. It quite easily lasts through a days use. If battery life is a concern there is an addon battery for it.

IO, I think is going to have to be a must in the future. As to CF I have been a very outspoken individual in favor of CF slots. I do miss it, BUT not near as much as I thought I would. I think as every day goes by we see less, and less need for CF cards, as we see more SDIO cards coming on line, and SD memory increasing. Two SD slots may work quite well in the future. One for storage one for IO. Keeping the size down.

I'm sure jpaq has read some of my rants on the need for internal CF slots, and removable batteries on the pPCp Jornada forum to give some validity to how the XDA has changed my outlook.

Dave

RickP in AZ
11-06-2002, 05:05 PM
I fantasize daily for *my* dream PPC Phone Edition:
64-128MB RAM
64bit "backlit transflective screen" (power savings) (3.8-4"?)
400MHZ Xscale (not speedy, but power frugal)
Integrated BT
CF(IO) & SDIO or atleast SDIO
Great ClearType
Standardized USB sync connector (Use a any common USB cable)
USB Hosting?
Shape at least as attractive as the current HTC model

And an affordable data plan: $5 for 10MB/mo. with $1/MB overage.
And my current Voice plan: T-Mobile $39/mo.

Is there anything I forgot? Or am I asking too much?

Paragon
11-06-2002, 06:28 PM
Is there anything I forgot? Or am I asking too much?

See through, talk through, flip lid?

Dave

RickP in AZ
11-06-2002, 06:53 PM
See, I knew I forgot something!

(Actually, it didn't cross my mind because I would immediately order a Vaja case for it.)

jpaq
11-06-2002, 07:13 PM
Paragon,

I have read your thoughts on CF before. I think you and I have been on the same side of this discussion for some time now. Nevertheless, I'm glad to see you in a comfort zone without.

I currently have a Maestro and I too have been spoiled by it's expansion felxibility. I'm considering an E740 for the WiFi at home, then I would use my Socket Bluetooth card and my T68 while away from work and home. Not bad.

Anyway, back to the point. SDIO equipment seems to be so far removed from feasible at this point. With PDA's that have CF slots and $40 CF modems, Socket supporting so many CF accessories, and the pricing factors, CF seems to just now be a feasible, real alternative.

SD Bluetooth...First, find it, second take out the loan to buy it. Not needed for the XDA for communications, but printing? Other accessories?? Did you say that MS had a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse? More Bluetooth accessories are sure to come now that MS supports it. Those accessories may well be compatible with PPC's. Again, take out the SD Bluetooth card loan and remember, it doesn't stick out too much.
SD WiFi. Ummmm, nope. Again, network access outside of internet access on the XDA.
SD modem Uhhhhh, nope. If your in a hotel room traveling, until rate plans become a little more feasible (other than Sprint, which, by the way, kudos to them) you may want to avoid using up you MB's.

Right now, the IO of SDIO seems to be missing. The memory is easing it's way into reasonability.

Gotta have at least a 16 bit screen though. Never had a 12 bit and don't plan to.

Just my $.02

Birdman
11-06-2002, 07:28 PM
Assuming that one of the new 5xxx series of ipaqs will carry PPCPE software and assuming that it still retains the ability to use the sleeves, that may be a perfect compromise.
Nice form factor, PPCPhone edition, GSM/GPRS when needed, and when you are in a hotel room or somewhere with easy access to a landline and you don't want to eat up GPRS usage, (and don't want to rely on the slow speeds of using the phone for dial up to an ISP) you slide on your trusty CF sleeve, pop in your trusty CF modem, and your off to the races.
That would work for me.

Chronos
11-06-2002, 07:34 PM
I have to agree completely with Paragon Again. I've had my T-Mobile for a couple of months and cannot contemplate living without a connected device ever again. Having moved from a series of iPAQs I was hesitant to leave behind the CF (and even PCMCIA) capabilities, but I honestly have not missed them. With Datanywhere.net's adapter, we can also use iPAQ keyboards. For travel I may pick up one of the Psion infrared modems to use, but haven't had the need yet.

And don't get me started on the battery life. I considered buying the external battery pack, but really don't need it as I routinely recharge this thing once every 5-7 days, and then it is usually over 50% charge remaining!

I too never notice the 12 bit difference. The colors are more true than with my 3600 and 3800 iPAQs.

The 32mb of memory was an initial concern, but with 32, 64, and 128mb SD cards I don't have any storage issues either.

Pretty nice unit, nicest on the market today. We'll have to see about that upcoming iPAQ 5000 series (especially the GSM/GPRS edition), if HP can fix all of their QA issues.

smittyofdhs
11-06-2002, 07:49 PM
I like the form factor. I like the battery. I like a lot about the O2, T-Mobile, AT&T PPC Phone. There are only three things that will hold me back from them.
- Memory
- CF is still the defacto standard for memory and I/O devices. Until SD I/O grows and bacomes affordable, but that seems to be a stalling cause.
- SCREEN COLORS! At my last reading these units were 12 bit. Must have at least 16 bit.

So, give me an (HTC unit name here) with 16 bit screen (transflective better), CF slot, and more installed RAM and ROM and we're there!

Oh. User changeable battery is a plus for something used as heavily as a phone as well. If only for the reality that phone batteries die because of their sheer use and frequency of recharge.

keep in mind, more memory and higher screen res means less battery time. The 12bit is not that bad (this coming from someone who has used Ipaq 3850 ever since the release) and the memory is not that big an issue since most apps can be loaded to the SD card. Speaking of SD, yes CF is still the standard for I/O but SD is gaining ground which will bring down the prices (in fact it already has, cards today are cheaper then a year ago). And as for I/O, how many devices does the average user actually put onto the ppc? maybe a camera, maybe gps....most often just memory which the SD card does just fine....

Mobile Bob
11-06-2002, 08:19 PM
I have to agree completely with Paragon Again. I've had my T-Mobile for a couple of months and cannot contemplate living without a connected device ever again. Having moved from a series of iPAQs I was hesitant to leave behind the CF (and even PCMCIA) capabilities, but I honestly have not missed them. With Datanywhere.net's adapter, we can also use iPAQ keyboards. For travel I may pick up one of the Psion infrared modems to use, but haven't had the need yet.

And don't get me started on the battery life. I considered buying the external battery pack, but really don't need it as I routinely recharge this thing once every 5-7 days, and then it is usually over 50% charge remaining!

I too never notice the 12 bit difference. The colors are more true than with my 3600 and 3800 iPAQs.

The 32mb of memory was an initial concern, but with 32, 64, and 128mb SD cards I don't have any storage issues either.

Pretty nice unit, nicest on the market today. We'll have to see about that upcoming iPAQ 5000 series (especially the GSM/GPRS edition), if HP can fix all of their QA issues.

Ditto! I'm very pleased with this unit, and I havn't even removed the T-Mobile apps per pt's web site (although I have considered doing so). I will, however, send it to PPCTechs for a 64MB upgrade once I get beyond the one-year warranty periond.

Gerard
11-06-2002, 09:35 PM
Not yet being a cellphone user, I'm not quite the pushover many probably are. But Jeff's article has got me itchy to get something like this. Since everyone seems to be posting wishlists, I'll add the specs I want to see before I make the leap:
~ Minimum 64MB RAM
~ At least a built-in CF II slot, so I can still use my Accurite 6GB external hard drive with a PC>CF adapter
~ An SD slot, but I really don't care all that much
~ Removable battery, preferably of a common type so I can still buy one a couple of years later
~ Connected speeds allowing a minimum of 5KB/second downloads - otherwise, I'll stay with my fast CF modem and dialup connection
~ A screen I can hold my Casio EG-800 beside, displaying an image with lots of black on each, and not fall down laughing like I do when I try this with my iPAQ 3835. The blue haze is sickening, and my Casio provides frequent and welcome relief for graphics work or movies.
~ A shell that doesn't look like some cheap crap boombox in a sleazy stereo store - do we really all want chrome everything?
~ A full-sized folding keyboard fitting to it from day one, or very soon after. Without a Stowaway, I'd be lost.
~ A mic jack capable of use with an external mic, for recording without the whine and hiss of the cheap built-in mic

smittyofdhs
11-06-2002, 09:47 PM
Not yet being a cellphone user, I'm not quite the pushover many probably are. But Jeff's article has got me itchy to get something like this. Since everyone seems to be posting wishlists, I'll add the specs I want to see before I make the leap:
~ Minimum 64MB RAM
~ At least a built-in CF II slot, so I can still use my Accurite 6GB external hard drive with a PC>CF adapter
~ An SD slot, but I really don't care all that much
~ Removable battery, preferably of a common type so I can still buy one a couple of years later
~ Connected speeds allowing a minimum of 5KB/second downloads - otherwise, I'll stay with my fast CF modem and dialup connection
~ A screen I can hold my Casio EG-800 beside, displaying an image with lots of black on each, and not fall down laughing like I do when I try this with my iPAQ 3835. The blue haze is sickening, and my Casio provides frequent and welcome relief for graphics work or movies.
~ A shell that doesn't look like some cheap crap boombox in a sleazy stereo store - do we really all want chrome everything?
~ A full-sized folding keyboard fitting to it from day one, or very soon after. Without a Stowaway, I'd be lost.
~ A mic jack capable of use with an external mic, for recording without the whine and hiss of the cheap built-in mic

sounds like you need a laptop.... being the contributing editor as your signature states, of all people you should know that this wishlist just isn't going to happen for a long time to come. No one device is perfect for everybody's needs. Just make the leap of faith and enjoy the cutting edge technology today.... :)