View Full Version : Modem Icon Doesn't Show Up--

Bigmamma
11-04-2002, 09:55 PM
I am getting ready to returnn my brand-new 3955. This is my first experience with a PDA and I thought I was computer savy but this thing is driving me up a wall!

I am trying to connect to the internet with a compac flash modem. I bought a Targus modem which I couldn't get to work. Went to the store and they tried 3 different modems and got the same results. I now have an AmbiCom which was the only other brand that they had. Same result.

I insert the modem in the CF expansion slot. Go to settings and connections. There is no modem icon appearing on the screen. All I have is Connections, Network Adapters, Beam and AvantGo connect. I have taped on the Connections icon which takes me to a screen to put in settings to connect to Internet, Work New and My Connection. I have tried all of the above types and selected my modem (which does show up in the drop down menu), name of my ISP, TCP/IP settings, etc. Gave it a name. Tried to connect and nothing happens. The telephone jack is working with my laptop so no problem there. And, if I close out the screen and turn off the PDA, when I turn it back on and go to connections, the name that I put in for my new connection doesn't show up anywhere.

Could there be a problem with my IPAQ? Any suggestions before I return everything to the store. Thanks.

Sven Johannsen
11-04-2002, 10:21 PM
Don't give up man. I don't have mine in front of me so can't help at the moment, but I'm sure we can get you through this. I regularly connect via CF modem, as do many others, but it has been a while since I set it up. Don't feel bad either, the Connection Manager is anything but intuitive.

If you don't get anything soon, try this
http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/club/support/support_question.asp?cid=1&tid=5&qid=2