View Full Version : Dell To Sell PCs In Costco - Is The Axim X5 Next?

Ed Hansberry
11-04-2002, 05:30 PM
<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1001-964360.html">http://news.com.com/2100-1001-964360.html</a><br /><br />"PC giant Dell Computer has been expanding its sales by appearing on shopping channels and at kiosks in malls--and now it's going to the discount chains." Selling PCs online has been good for Dell but they are moving into other channels that have direct contact with consumers. In my opinion, the success of the Axim X5 depends on people being able to touch and feel the device.<br /><br />If anyone has seen one of these kiosks, let us know. I'd be curious to see what they have in them and what they look like.

johncruise
11-04-2002, 07:58 PM
Dell at Costco? Wow! As it is, Costco is selling items at a really low price. Even new ones. The E-200 before was selling for $549 when everybody else was selling it for $599! I wonder how cheap this unit will be selling for once it's on their shelves? Hmmmm.

Bob Anderson
11-04-2002, 08:10 PM
Well, I wonder if Dell will actually have a kiosk in Costco... or if they will just sell Dell PCs on their website. I was just in my local Costco in the Seattle, WA area, and they didn't have any Dell kiosks set-up (however, I suspect it's probably a bit early to expect them there.)

While I think this is an overall good idea, my fear is that you'll only be able to buy specific models... nothing customized... so, in the case of the Axim X5 I think it will be OK, but for my next laptop I think I'll call in and get it built to specification. After all, the, J-I-T process is what makes the Dell approach so cost effective (they don't hang on to a lot of inventory that can "go bad" before they sell it.)

Dude, I'm getting a Dell (in my pocket, from Costco) 8)

(somehow it almost sounds kinda x-rated... doesn't it?)

Take1
11-04-2002, 09:32 PM
This is good news. Costco is EVERYWHERE! That means broader exposure for the new Dell PDAs. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the kiosk this Christmas.

Rirath
11-04-2002, 09:56 PM
No CostCo's here... and I still don't see the importance of holding and using one.

kagayaki1
11-04-2002, 10:48 PM
No CostCo's here... and I still don't see the importance of holding and using one.

Would you care to have my old E-125? I PROMISE it's not a brick...

Rirath
11-05-2002, 01:41 AM
I wouldn't buy a E-125 because of the specs, not the casing.

lsbeller
11-05-2002, 03:07 AM
Are you interested in only the Costco kiosks or the ones at the malls as well?

Steve

kagayaki1
11-05-2002, 04:06 AM
I wouldn't buy a E-125 because of the specs, not the casing.

Double negative aside, I have to think most shoppers out there care a little bit about size, especially if the competition offers similar devices in half the size (read Toshiba, etc)

Ed Hansberry
11-05-2002, 04:09 AM
Are you interested in only the Costco kiosks or the ones at the malls as well?

Steve
Any of 'em. Just interested to see what Dell is doing.

Rirath
11-05-2002, 12:04 PM
I just love when people skip the topic at hand and refer instead to grammar and spelling rules.
I wasn't speaking about most shoppers and I couldn't care less about what most shoppers want. I was simply saying that I personally don't see the importance of it. I'm a digital freak and ordering something online without seeing it doesn't bother me at all.

Toshiba may have a simular unit at a smaller size, but they certainly don't have a simular price. The V35 may have a simular price and smaller size, but it's also slower and has fewer options.

ThomasC22
11-08-2002, 02:21 AM
Here's basically what one looks like (and hey Ed, there's 4 in Tennesse, almost makes up for canning Steven doesn't it :))

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/topics/segtopic_tn_kiosk.htm

Ed Hansberry
11-08-2002, 01:31 PM
Here's basically what one looks like (and hey Ed, there's 4 in Tennesse, almost makes up for canning Steven doesn't it :))

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/topics/segtopic_tn_kiosk.htm

Cool. Cool Springs is right down the street - I just haven't been in several weeks - before the Dell Kiosk was opened. I'll go back after Nov. 18 to see if they have the Axim.

Say what you want about "Steven." His ads are memorable and you know they were Dell. These new interns... if I wasn't paying so much attention to them because of this and similar threads, i wouldn't remember if it was Dell, Compaq, IBM or those annoying CDW ads. Just a bunch of people walking around talking tech.