View Full Version : More Wireless Woes Using Bluetooth

Ed Hansberry
11-04-2002, 04:00 PM
<a href="http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2895647,00.html">http://techupdate.zdnet.com/techupdate/stories/main/0,14179,2895647,00.html</a><br /><br />David Berlind from ZDNet is still trying to find an easy way to get online using his bluetooth PDA. "The most common approach to W2 (wireless squared - dumb name :roll:) is to use Bluetooth to facilitate the connection between the devices that need network access, and the device (such as a cell phone) that gives it to them. The cell phone would then connect to the Internet through one of the higher speed data networks."<br /><br />He has virtually the same setup I have - a bluetooth enabled Pocket PC and a T-Mobile T68. While it was a snap for me to get the devices paired, I spent a total of 75 minutes on two phone calls with T-Mobile getting the device online and enabling VPN. 100% of the problems turned out to be on T-Mobile's end in my case, one being an improperly configured t-Mobile phone and the other on their server, and though it took some time, the T-Mobile tech support teams were eager to help and very considerate.<br /><br />I think the bottom line is, this technology, be it on the Pocket PC, the add-on Bluetooth card, the cell phone or the carrier, is not ready for the average consumer. You and I will go through anything to get this to work but the average person will give up saving themselves grief now and in the future. If I had a nickel for each time I had to reset my iPAQ 3970 <b><i>and</i></b> T68 to get a connection to go, I'd have enough money to buy a Dell Pocket PC! :wink: Source: Jeff Curtin

Brad Adrian
11-04-2002, 05:27 PM
You make an excellent point, Ed, about most people not wanting to mess with this stuff. Now, just last week, I tried my hand for the first time at using a Bluetooth iPAQ and T68m and had everything up and running in a matter of a few minutes. However, I was working with Cingular, so they must have their configurations correct.

Don Sorcinelli
11-04-2002, 05:53 PM
When I read articles and posts like this, I think they sum up where Bluetooth stands today -

* Great concept. Wireless device connectivity is what I and many others crave. BTW - if I hear "Personal Area Networking" one more time, I'll scream! :x BT is really about "Personal Device Networking".
* Mediocre first implementation. BT 1.0 and 1.1 work, but are not consumer-friendly.
* Sub-par vendor implementation. Most of the drivers and interfaces make the BT spec even less user friendly.

The good news - things are changing. New BT specs, new versions of drivers and interfaces. Things should only get better. But for right now, I cannot (and have not) recommended a BT solution to anyone other than the "techiest of the tech" :wink: .

heliod
11-04-2002, 08:06 PM
Ed,

If I had a nickel for each time I had to reset my iPAQ 3970 and T68 to get a connection to go, I'd have enough money to buy a Dell Pocket PC!

I had many RESET problems with my setup of Jornada + Ericsson R520m too. After I took the phone to a service center and they did me a firmware upgrade I have been running for 2 months with no reset at all. Check if your problem is not an old firmware version.

Helio

Ed Hansberry
11-04-2002, 08:24 PM
After I took the phone to a service center and they did me a firmware upgrade I have been running for 2 months with no reset at all. Check if your problem is not an old firmware version.

Helio

Good point. I need to take mine in. I have a T68 and I would like the T68i ROM. I understand the hardware is identical internally and the upgrade is possible. The question is will T-Mobile do it?

Don Sorcinelli
11-04-2002, 09:49 PM
After I took the phone to a service center and they did me a firmware upgrade I have been running for 2 months with no reset at all. Check if your problem is not an old firmware version.

Helio

Good point. I need to take mine in. I have a T68 and I would like the T68i ROM. I understand the hardware is identical internally and the upgrade is possible. The question is will T-Mobile do it?

I, too, own a T68 and have T-Mobile service. I also was thinking of doing this. My understanding (based upon discussions with a rep I spoke with the day I purchased day and from others) is that there is no "official" policy regarding upgrading ROM. If, however, you go to a T-Mobile store and are really, really nice, they will do it for you (provided someone there is capable of doing it).

Guess I better put on this :D face before I walk in...

RKosin
11-05-2002, 12:53 AM
Sorry there is no upgrade path between the T68 and T68i. It is a signaling difference limited to certain market areas by carrier. Same situation as the Motorola T720.

Ed Hansberry
11-05-2002, 12:57 AM
Sorry there is no upgrade path between the T68 and T68i. It is a signaling difference limited to certain market areas by carrier. Same situation as the Motorola T720.

Search for t68 on this page - http://www.firstloox.org/September_2002.htm

Also, go here - http://www.google.com/search?q=upgrade+T68+t68i+ROM&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start=10&sa=N

Would seem it is possible. - this looks formal too - http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/handphones/0,39001719,39047357,00.htm

Janak Parekh
11-05-2002, 02:33 AM
It's definitely possible. I know people who have had upgrades. The hardware is nearly identical between the T68 and T68i (the latter does use slightly updated lights, etc. and is a bit more reliable, but the RAM, processor are all the same).

Ed, I don't think T-Mobile supports upgrades. After all, they haven't deployed MMS. Your best bet is to see if Sony Ericsson in US (they're in Minnesota, IIRC) will do an upgrade; when I called they said they wouldn't, but others have had success. Alternatively, there's a guy in Pittsburgh who is a Ericsson Service Point and can do upgrades; search HowardChui.com/forums for "ke3ee".

--bdj

RKosin
11-05-2002, 05:09 AM
The response given in June by Sony Ericsson in US was as follows: We apologize for the inconvenience unfortunately, no provisions have been set into place for the T68 upgrades to the T68i and there is no additional information available at this time. An official statement will come whether the upgrade will be free of charge or not. At the present, the upgrades may not be available in some markets or through some operators. Please contact your operator/Service Location for more information. :? The T68i has as an embedded e911 emergency locator, as well as upgraded software/interface that includes more backgrounds, screensavers, and storage capacity for customized images. http://www.cnet.com/wireless/0-1923403-8-9405914-2.html 8O The choice with the carrier and market area was to upgrade to to the T68i.

juni
11-05-2002, 07:40 AM
It took me quite a while and many frustrating tries to get my LOOX + TDK bluetooth dongle and software + desktop XP Pro computer to give me a wireless network. Now that it works it is actually great. :)

I also use a Nokia 6310i with bluetooth over GPRS as a "mobile access point" for my LOOX - that was a snap to set up, just followed the Fujitsu-Siemens tipspage instructions. :)

topps
11-06-2002, 07:42 AM
I had lots of problems as well. Also could not recommend BT to inexperienced users - is certainly not plug and play.

First tried GPRS + BT iPAQ3870 to T39 phone about 5 months ago. Worked about 20% of the time. Discarded as too unreliable.

Recently have had many trials and tribulations with upgraded iPAQ 2.20 ROM and a T68i. Local Telco people baffled as to why it would not work. Many hours spent reconfiguring the phone but would never properly connect.

Changed phones - same model - seemed to work fine right away - only needed minor tweaking - ALMOST plug n play. Connection seems to be quite reliable now.

Speed quite variable - have not yet figured out what determines this.