View Full Version : 9 Series Windows Media Release Candidates Ready

Jason Dunn
11-03-2002, 12:35 AM
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmedia">http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmedia</a><br /><br />If you've been waiting on the sidelines, the 9 Series Windows Media Player and Windows Media Encoder have hit release candidate status. Still no word on where the Pocket PC player that supports 9 Series is, so when encoding your video be sure to pick a compatible codec. There's also a <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/moviemaker/default.asp">new beta of Windows Movie Maker 2.0</a> for those who like to dabble with video editing.

Paul P
11-03-2002, 02:44 AM
I wasn't able to get the previous version of WMP to detect iPaq using bluetooth for copying mp3s to SD. No problems now. Transfer speed is not that bad actually....when you're not loooking. :)

ECOslin
11-03-2002, 06:08 AM
Tried it, new look, very likely using the new wmp compression scheme.

Beta doesn't have the disable autoclips option yet. Or I couldn't find it.
I hate when it starts building 300 separate clips out of a 15 minute file.
It needs to give control as to how discerning it should be.

New graphics, still same basic layout.

Used system restore, as advised, to get rid of it. Not finished software, but shows great promise.

I'd like to see both capture card tuner channel control and the ability to schedule recordings, just like the ATI card software does.

I sometimes edit my All-in-wonder captures thru Windows Movie Maker anyway.

Edward

bdeli
11-03-2002, 07:05 AM
Before installing make sure that System Restore is on! When i try to capture anything Windows Movie Maker just hangs!

System restore was off so cannot go back to ver 1.0 ....so make sure it is switched on before installing this beta!

Gordo
11-03-2002, 06:39 PM
When I try to install the "Windows Movie Maker 2 Beta" I get an error about a dll not found: framedyn.dll. I already have Movie Maker 1 installed so I don't know what the problem is.

UPDATE: I was able to find the required DLL in a sub folder under Windows\System32. I copied it into the System32 folder and re-installed.

hshortt
11-04-2002, 10:28 AM
Hmmm..... quite like the titling options, especially the typewriter one, this is a feature I've been looking for, for some time now. And the bigger Vegas Video or Premiers don't have it!

Also, the option for output as DV AVI will enable cross compatibility with the other programs, so I could just do all my titling in Movie Maker and then take the resulting AVI into Vegas or Premiere.

klinux
01-06-2003, 09:16 PM
<BUMP>

Windows Media Player 9 series will be released tomorrow along with a new version of Plus!

I have been encoding classical music using WMA 9 VBR at ~70kbps and it sounds decent to my ears. As much as I like to encode music at 192kbps or higher on my desktop and laptop machines, file size becomes more important when mobile!

rave
01-08-2003, 03:34 AM
Ah, sometimes I regret having audiophile ears. At low bit rates, cymbals "swish" instead of "spish", and it bothers me a lot. So I encode my music using 96kbps VBR. :)

WM9 Series final is already out, by the way. Get it now! :)

ECOslin
01-08-2003, 05:45 AM
Yay, It's out, I've installed it and still one little point.

WinAmp had a visualization of a Band on a stage playing the music.

I can't find a visualization of a stage Band for Media Player.

Harrumph.