View Full Version : How do you view hidden files...?

amcmoe
11-02-2002, 06:58 PM
Does anyone know how to view hidden files on my friends pocket pc with the PPC2000 OS?

Thanks

smashcasi
11-02-2002, 07:14 PM
You can use an alternative file exploring utility (Resco File Explorer (http://www.resco-net.com/) comes to mind, but there are several others), or you can view the hidden files from a desktop computer via an ActiveSync session.

Of course, one would hope that you have your friend's permission before doing this :wink:

amcmoe
11-02-2002, 07:17 PM
Thanks for that FAST reply! Ok, I will try a different explorer like Resco's.

Thanks again,
Adam

Dave Beauvais
11-02-2002, 09:01 PM
With Pocket PC 2002, the built-in File Explorer has the option to view hidden and system files. I'm not sure if Pocket PC 2000 has the same option, nor do I have one around to test. In File Explorer, scroll to the bottom of the file list so you have a blank spot to tap in. Then follow the directions in this screenshot:
http://www.beauvais1.com/images/ppc/view_all_files.gif

While there may be better file explorers from third parties, this lets you save some money if all you want is the ability to view hidden files on the PPC itself without an ActiveStink connection.

--Dave

Jorj Bauer
11-05-2002, 03:25 AM
With Pocket PC 2002, the built-in File Explorer has the option to view hidden and system files. I'm not sure if Pocket PC 2000 has the same option, nor do I have one around to test. In File Explorer, scroll to the bottom of the file list so you have a blank spot to tap in. Then follow the directions in this screenshot:

While there may be better file explorers from third parties, this lets you save some money if all you want is the ability to view hidden files on the PPC itself without an ActiveStink connection.

--Dave

Actually, I seem to recall that this functionality showed up around EUU2. Older PPC2k2 devices didn't have it. (At least, my original iPaq 3635 -- after upgrading to 2k2 -- didn't until after one of its subsequent ROM upgrades.)

If you tap-and-hold but don't see "Show hidden files," look for ROM updates from the vendor.