View Full Version : We're in DNS Hell

Jason Dunn
11-02-2002, 06:51 PM
I'm really ticked off at Rackshack. First they randomly delete pocketpcthoughts.com from their DNS on Wednesday. I don't figure it out until Thursday, at which point I frantically call and ask for it to be added back in. I submit a trouble ticket while on the phone, and they assure me it will get added back in. Our site starts dropping off the grid with a few ISPs. Last night I called again, and the DNS wasn't updated - the trouble ticked was never submitted. More ISPs lose Thoughts. They assure me that by 7 AM this morning when they reboot their DNS it will work again. It doesn't. I call back again, and they have no excuse other than "Well, gee, we're selling a lot of new servers and I guess we're backlogged." Now I'm told that by 3 PM today it will be added back in, but in the meantime most ISPs have already dropped Thoughts as being a valid domain.<br /><br />I guess that's all $99 a month will buy me - gobs of bandwidth, but lazy technicians. :evil: I managed to add a 3rd and 4th DNS that may prop out faster than Rackshack, which is how I'm able to reach this site. Things will be quite unstable for another 48 hours or so...at which point I hope everything will work.

yada88
11-02-2002, 07:00 PM
I run a significantly less extensive site than you do. I am hosted by OLM.net. They have tons of bandwidth, and REALLY REALLY REALLY great service. They have tons of options to choose from.

*And no, i don't work for them, this is just a friendly suggestion from one extreme internet user to another.

ThomasC22
11-02-2002, 07:04 PM
Yup, it was pretty funny, I thought it was my email not working so I changed my address in preferences only to find it was the site and my account was deactivated :)

But I found it kind of fun, No PPCThoughts all morning, and then the floodgates opened!

Jason Dunn
11-02-2002, 07:09 PM
They have tons of bandwidth, and REALLY REALLY REALLY great service.

Thanks for the suggestion, but in looking at their prices, it would cost me $849 US a month to get the bandwidth I need to be "comfy" - 200 GB. Too expensive for my tastes...

Venturello
11-02-2002, 07:10 PM
Sorry for the problems Jason -- good luck on getting them fixed. I've had problems getting to ppct all day, and sometime yesterday. GOD did I miss it!! :)

ThomasC22
11-02-2002, 07:13 PM
I still can't send to your (or at least Steve's) "@pocketpcthoughts.com" address btw

P.S. If Steve's reading, my account works again :) Thanks for checking!

Update: Actually, from my MSN account I can, but my other ISP haven't gotten you yet.

Jason Dunn
11-02-2002, 07:38 PM
I still can't send to your (or at least Steve's) "@pocketpcthoughts.com" address btw

Yeah, it will be very chaotic and semi-broken for several days. Nothing we can do but bunker down and wait it out. :?

medic119
11-02-2002, 07:59 PM
I am hosted by a company that uses rackspace and I have the same problems!
For the last month or so Rackspace has refused to believe thier routing table is meesed up in regards to the server I am hosted on. Therefore I get random drop outs and service outages!

The actually had the gaul to tell my host that it was thier problem because Rackspace certainly couldn't have messed up.

acollet
11-02-2002, 08:02 PM
You may want to switch to the leader.. IBM.. Their support, change and problem management can not be beat

nitrofly
11-02-2002, 09:32 PM
Use this free backup DNS service...it's absolutely excellent:

http://www.freedns.com

Arne Hess
11-02-2002, 09:37 PM
Rackshack sucks. They really do.
Ouch... That sucks :x and I thought it's my new XP configuration... :?
My thoughts and feelings are with you as you can imagine... I'm/was in near the same situation - not because of DNS entries but MySQL databases... Seems hosting services see 49 - 99$ customers not as serious customers but more than homepage users but who pay such an ammount of bucks for hompepages only!?

Hey, hosting services out there: we are not Joe User like at Geocities but try to run any kind of business on this web servers doesn't matter if it means making tons of bucks or just because Pocket PC our passion... :idea:

Mark Johnson
11-02-2002, 09:47 PM
You might think about getting your DNS services from a provider other than your ISP. Outfits like ultradns.com do nothing but DNS and can set very short Minimum TTL for your domain. There are possible advantages to making sure your DNS is not "held hostage" by the ISP you are using. If the ISP is really just an IP address and your DNS has a 6-hour TTL then it's pretty easy to "keep them honest" because they know you can be gone in six hours and you don't really need their cooperation. Just a thought...

mpattman
11-03-2002, 01:27 AM
Hi,

My sites are also hosted on Rackshack/Everone
Internet's network but I manage my DNS zones using Zoneedit and I have had next to no issues. Zoneedit let you have 5 free credits or zones.

http://www.zoneedit.com

I hope this can help you.

Matthew

Wes Salmon
11-03-2002, 02:47 AM
In my many years in the web biz, I have never heard good things about rackshack. This falls pretty much in line with what I would expect from them.

The sad truth is that to get reliable hosting for a long period of time, you'll need to pay more than $99 a month. :(

atsouch
11-03-2002, 10:06 AM
All the hosting companies that provide a serious level of support don't give a large monthly bandwidth.

I have a dedicated unix server (40 GB space) at CI Host and for $99/month they only give me 5 GB. If I had a 3 GB hosting plan they would give me unlimited bandwidth (for much less than $99) but this space would be on a server with many other domains.

CoffeeKid
11-03-2002, 10:14 AM
Well, it seems my posting was deleted. Not sure what that says, but indiscriminate censoring is a scary road for forums management.

Catch you later Jason. Best of luck with your site, and all that you do. Unfortunately, I won't be around here to check it out.

And yes, no worries, I won't let the door slam me in the ass on the way out.

Mark

nitrofly
11-03-2002, 10:42 AM
Well, it seems my posting was deleted. Not sure what that says, but indiscriminate censoring is a scary road for forums management.

Mark

Yeah....Scary!! But not Whiney like a bitch. Your post sucked and that's why it got canned. It was self serving tripe and I only wish it got mashed before I had to read that bollox.

DavidHorn
11-03-2002, 01:00 PM
I honestly didn't think his post was too bad - it did surprise me though, to see it censored without any reason. Insulting a company that hosts you is not the way to go - true, it may get you a quick solution, but if Rackshack ever want to get rid of you at some point, they'll do their damndest to find a loophole in the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up.

Steven Cedrone
11-03-2002, 05:01 PM
Well, here we go again. Once more, I want to remind you all that I don't have to justify my actions to anyone but Jason Dunn.

CoffeeKid's post was inappropriate, that's why it was deleted. It actually started a flame war, so it was not the only post deleted. CoffeeKid knows EXACTLY why his post was removed, he was sent a PM about it...

Case closed...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

ThomasC22
11-03-2002, 06:57 PM
CoffeeKid's post was inappropriate, that's why it was deleted. It actually started a flame war, so it was not the only post deleted. CoffeeKid knows EXACTLY why his post was removed, he was sent a PM about it...

Now see, the thing that bothers me about this type of thing is that now you've got me curious. What did CoffeeKid post?

I can't monitor this place at 1am just to catch the good stuff y'know, and the worst thing is...you just KNOW it's these little stupid things that will end up bothering you on your death bed.

I can see myself now, all the important things I have to think about and the one thing that's going to haunt me in my final seconds is "Hey, what did CoffeeKid post in the DNS thread on PPCThoughts back in 2002 (that is assuming I have at least a couple months to live)" :wink:

Steven Cedrone
11-03-2002, 07:59 PM
I can't monitor this place at 1am just to catch the good stuff y'know, and the worst thing is...you just KNOW it's these little stupid things that will end up bothering you on your death bed.

LOL! You'll just have to visit the forums more often... :wink:

Steve

Jonathon Watkins
11-03-2002, 10:12 PM
Hey, some of us visit far more than is good for us :wink: - and we still managed to miss it (not that we missed much I guess).

ThomasC22
11-04-2002, 05:07 AM
Hey, some of us visit far more than is good for us :wink: - and we still managed to miss it (not that we missed much I guess).

Speaking of, congrats on 300 post Gerbil (well, you'll be there by your next visit).

I remember you when you were single digits (a few months ago) :)

ThomasC22
11-07-2002, 09:21 AM
OK, the emails start up again, then they stop, then they start up AGAIN, then they stop...

STOP THE MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathon Watkins
11-07-2002, 01:13 PM

Speaking of, congrats on 300 post Gerbil (well, you'll be there by your next visit).

I remember you when you were single digits (a few months ago) :)

Cheers ThomasC22 - of course - I remember when you were in single digits too. :wink: Oh to be young again! :wink: :wink: