View Full Version : e550G EUU3--Audiovox where are you?

yvilla
11-01-2002, 03:35 AM
I just got finished writing an angry post about this at the Genio-e forum on pocketpcpda.com--but haven't got it off my chest yet.

The EUU3 for the e550G is available for download at the Japanese Genio-e home page (http://www.genio-e.com/pda/) :!:

Of course, I assume we can't use this download because its for the Japanese ROM.

What makes me so frustrated and angry is that this seems only further proof of Audiovox's apparent lack of support/concern for the e550G and all of us who have bought one. For besides not providing us with the EUU3 in a timely fashion, Audiovox has not made the PC card expansion sled available at all here in the US, and can't give any help or information about peripherals that can be used with it, even though it is an "official" accessory. Also, other accessories are few and far between, and it's website has nothing by way of support or info for us--compare the pages and pages of FAQ's, downloads, other info, accessories, etc you can find on the Japanese site. :evil:

max1milion
11-05-2002, 03:24 AM
Sorry if I haven't been paying attention, but what exactly is this EUU3? I have an e550G, so I'd certainly like to know exactly which accessory I can't have yet! :)

- Max

yvilla
11-05-2002, 04:46 AM
Max, its not an accessory, but the EUU3 is the Microsoft End User Update 3, released a few weeks ago. Here's a quote from Jason's post about it, on October 12:

"EUU3, the third service pack for the Pocket PC, has been released by Microsoft to the various OEMs. A timeline for release aren't known at this time - most OEMs have to customize certain elements (typically drivers), but based on the timeline for EUU2, we should see OEMs releasing this in November. What does EUU3 add? The biggest addition is Windows Media Player 8.5, and it brings 9 Series Windows Media support with it. I've been told there are performance improvements (I believe in the form of Xscale optimizations), play list management improvements, and integration with Connection Manager. Pocket Internet Explorer now supports moving form fields using the Tab key, and the new default theme is "Bliss". There are also a "bunch of new fixes" that I have no further details on."

max1milion
11-06-2002, 11:31 PM
Thanks!

That sounds really good -- I'm most excited about the XScale optimizations. I remember the controversy over the lack of performance improvement on XScales when they first came out, which I have heard atributed to the fact that PPC 2002 supports ARM version 4 architecture while the XScale is supposed to really shine under version 5. Any word on whether this update will incude version 5 support?

Oh, and I'd assume that a reflash of the system ROM is required to install the update... is this so?

- Max

Jason Dunn
11-07-2002, 12:40 AM
There's no ARM5 support in EUU3.

boyo
11-15-2002, 08:33 PM
I hear from the Rumor Mills that there ARE general performance optimizations in EUU3, still ARM4 but work better on more deeply pipelined processors (like Xscale).

I've looked at the assembly language produced by the MSVC++ 3.0 and 4.0 compilers, and the 4.0 compiler does a much better job. The 3.0 compiler leaves spare registers unused, meaning more push/pop onto the stack for local variables. No loop unrolling, no load/store reordering... Basically it isn't an optimizing compiler in the modern definition.

Saw close to 20% boost on one program I wrote just by recompiling with the 4.0 compiler with /O2. So even if MS recompiled their bits with the 4.0 tools, it would help.

-Boyo

max1milion
11-18-2002, 02:54 AM
Ok, so I think we all agree that EUU3 is good and we'd all like to have it, but Audiovox/Toshiba support has been so poor for these devices in the US so far, and so few people actually have them, I'm really worried that we may never see this update! Does anyone here know anyone at Toshiba or Audiovox who might be able to give a very general hint? Even so much as a confirmation of whether the update will/will not eventually be released in the US would be better than this...

- Max Radomsky

boyo
11-18-2002, 06:43 PM
It's not even release yet for the iPAQ, so you're not alone... Only the LOOX and certain Toshibas seem to have the update.

-Boyo

spursdude
11-19-2002, 01:57 AM
Well, Audiovox has been in general releasing some updates, like EUU2 for PPC...

But I'm still waiting for it on my Maestro. Windows Media Player enhancements would be greatly appreciated.

medic119
11-20-2002, 04:38 AM
This is what I got from Audiovox. Sounds like more crap to me. Thought you might be interested though

My question was:
"Are you guys planning on issuing the MS EUU3 update for the e550G. Especially since its already available for Japanese devices?"

Their answer:
"At 11/19/2002 03:55 PM we wrote - Once we get the update from Microsoft and it is tested on our PDA then the update can be found in our web site."

yvilla
11-20-2002, 04:55 AM
Strange, I got an email back from them today too, but mine said this:

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our
response.

If we do not hear from you within 48 hours we will assume your
issue has been resolved.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
---------------------------------------------------------------
Toshiba e550G--patches and updates

Suggested Solution
At 11/19/2002 01:32 PM we wrote - Thank you for your e-mail.

We are planning on having the EUU3 available on our website sometime next week.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you & regards,

Description
---- 11/15/2002 08:40 AM ---------------------------------------------
The EUU3 download has been available for Japanese Genio-e550G's since the end of October on the Japanese Genio-e web site. I see today that Toshiba US has now made EUU3 available here in the US for Toshiba e740 owners. When are YOU going to make it available for us Toshiba e550G owners?? Any why don't you even have the Model# of the e550G in your system--if anyone tries to access customer support for the e550G, they get the form asking for the Model#, and when the Model# for the e550G (CET0301A) is put in, all you get is the message is that there's no such product. Not a good feeling for someone who has spent 600.00 on a product from your company! What are we, the unwanted "stepchildren" of Audiovox? Come on, we want some support from your company!

Reference #021115-000019

ECOslin
11-20-2002, 04:57 AM
Nope, I'm certain that they take Toshiba's lead in this. Audiovox is just a name on the box.

Edward