View Full Version : Jornada 565 / 568: Should I buy one?

bjornkeizers
10-31-2002, 06:50 PM
All,

A local store here in the Netherlands is selling Jornada 565 and 568's. I currently use an Ipaq 3630, but the battery is quite dead: it will only run on the charger, so it's pretty much useless. Rather then try and replace the battery, which will cost as much as two second hand ipaq's, I''m thinking about replacing it with a new one.

So anyway. This store is selling 565 for 449 euro's, and 568 for 499. It looks kinda nice.. built in CF.. but I have some questions. Any input is very appreciated!

- Is the battery user-replacable? [hate to have to throw it away after a year] What battery is it?

- What about button press? On the ipaq I can only press one button at a time [quite nasty if you're playing a Gameboy game or anything requireing more then one input at a time] Can I press multiple buttons?

- What about this built in CF? It's type I right? If i'm right, type 1 is the thicker card so will this take my type II cards as well?

- Build quality?

Edit: Damnit! I got that the other way round.. type I is the thinner one.. 3.3 as opposed to 5.5 in the type II form.. What i'd like is a straight answer: will the 565/568 take a Sandisk 128 mb card? I've been using this card in my Ipaq's expansion, and I don't want to buy a new card.. I can't even *buy* type I cards over here! Sandisk says, and I quote,

"Compatible with all digital cameras, handheld PCs, digital audio players, and other devices that feature a CompactFlash slot "

And they list the 540 series as a compatible device.. this has a type I slot, right?

OK. So if anyone could give me a straight yes or no, that would be really appreciated.

Sven Johannsen
11-01-2002, 12:41 AM
I can give you a few straight answers.

It is a good device and well built. The onl real complaint on the 560 series Jornadas has been some tendency towards screen dust.

The Jornada line has been discontinued but asseccories don't seem to be in short supply.

It is a TRype I CF slot, the thinner one. I would be surprised if you Sadisk card was Type II. get out a ruler and check, 3.3 or 5 mm (not 5.5 BTW) is pretty obvious. About the only thing that isn't available over here at all in a Type I format is a microdrive. I can't of course speak to card availability in the Netherlands.

It is a Lithium ion battery the goes on the back like a cell phone battery. You can buy another one of these, or and extended life one (twice as thick for twice the time) and there is a PCCard adapter that comes with a double life battery as well. While the battery is replaceable, do keep in mind the line is discontinued so don't wait three years to pick up a second one.

Can't help you one the buttons, not a gamer.

I also can't really comment on the price. You might do a web search on the price in the states and convert the going price. I'm sure you can get a good idea of the relative merit.

Brad Adrian
11-01-2002, 02:49 AM
There are some things I've always liked about my Jornada. First, I do like the integrated cover; it keeps me from worrying quite so much about damaging it. Second, the built-in CF slot does make using peripherals more convenient than those devices that require an add-on sleeve. Third, I've always felt the screen is one of the sharpest, brightest ones out there.

If you do decide to go with a Jornada, I would recommend:

Get the 568 if you can; you'll like the extra RAM
Keep the stylus in its holder AT ALL TIMES and buy yourself a good pen-sized stylus to use instead. It's not entirely convenient, but for me it has really reduced the likelihood of getting dust under the screen.

bjornkeizers
11-01-2002, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the feedback you two; really helpful.

Last night after I posted my message, I went upstairs, got out my cards [I have 32, 64, and 128 mb] and measured them on my Psion Revo's ruler :D [I'm afraid I don't own a physical one. I don't even have a single pen or pencil to my name] And whaddayaknow.. 3.3 mm [OK, so i'm not an expert on CF .. sue me.]

There's a small edge at the top but that won't be a problem, right?

As for card availability in the Netherlands.. it's quite bad. Especially if you want something like a wireless lan card or a modem card.. you'd have to order from the US. Oh well, as long as my storage fits.. I don't care. Too bad a future upgrade to a microdrive will be out of the question.

So anyone know about the button press "issue"?

Steven Cedrone
11-01-2002, 03:37 PM
There's a small edge at the top but that won't be a problem, right?

It actually helps when you try to pull the card out...

Too bad a future upgrade to a microdrive will be out of the question.

You could use an Atek CF Pocket (http://www.atek.com/CF_Pocket.htm) adaptor

Steve

bjornkeizers
11-03-2002, 12:09 PM

Well duh! I know what the edge is for, obviously. But on some devices, like my Nino, the edge gets sort of in the way because of the lid..

But anyway! I picked up a 565 friday, so I only got to tell you guys about it now :D It was the only one left, and all the 568 were sold out so.. Besides, if I wanted a 568 with extra warranty, it'd cost close to 125-150 euro's extra, which isn't really worth it. The CF slot is built in, and I have some cards lying around, so i'm not getting a penalty for the less ram.

So instead, I picked up a 565 and added an extra two years warranty, total cost: 503 euro's including taxes.

First thoughts?

- It's quite small and light, especially compared to the ipaq with its CF sleeve and holster. [I use a gameboy color holster which costs 7 euro's and holds my ipaq with CF sleeve as if it was made for it!]

- No button press issue! Now I can finally play some decent Mario.

- The screen has a much better color depth, my themes, games and pics look much nicer, more crisp and vibrant.

- I'm not too fond of the sidelight.. there's only light coming from the left, with the ipaq it's coming from both sides. The display gets darker to the right [not annoying, but definately there] and the overall screen looks darker then the ipaq.

- The screen still has that annoying blue "glow". Ipaq users know what i'm talking about.. like with quake which looks quite awfull. I tried doom, and had to crank up the gamma to get a decent image..

- The f-cking speaker *still* pops!! I installed the firmware update and EUU2.. is there another update/fix for the speaker pop? It's not as annoying as when I upgraded my ipaq, but still it's there.

- I like the rocker, although it's not really comfortable for e-book reading as I thought it would be. It could be that my hand is still configured for the ipaq's D-pad :D

OK, i'm off. Ta ta.

Steven Cedrone
11-03-2002, 04:43 PM

Well duh! I know what the edge is for, obviously.

That will teach me for trying to help a fellow user... :?

Sven Johannsen
11-03-2002, 09:32 PM
You'll find the single side light probably contributes to the long battery life typical of the Jornada. There's no free lunch. On the microdrive issue. Kep an eye out for the PCMCIA adapter. I expect there will be sales now and again. I actually go mine and an thumb keyboard for under $100 together when someplace was having a half off sale. It would require a cheap PCCard to CF adapter, but would hold a microdrive and give you a double life battery, that can be used with out the PCCard sled. (The sled does take up the CF slot so you couldn't have both the CF and microdrive)

Certified Optimist
11-19-2002, 04:27 AM
Got the extended battery for my HP568 - definately worth it. Once I get a new Pocket PC (2003/2004) I can still use this one for e-boks, MP3's or gaming.