View Full Version : Palm Emulator No More

Jason Dunn
10-31-2002, 08:10 PM
<a href="http://www.kodeness.com/">http://www.kodeness.com/</a><br /><br />George André, the developer at Kodeness who was working on a Palm Emulator, has called it quits:<br /><br />"As of 17th August 2002, the PocketPalm project is discontinued, mainly due to lack of time, but also because of changed conditions in my business and professional life. Because of these new conditions, I found it hard (if not impossible) to devote any time to PocketPalm and it's evolution. It's a shame, I believe though, given the daunting troubles I went thru for this product (law suit, etc.). I hope you understand that I don't part lightly hearted from this product." <br /><br />The rest of the message is at his site. The good news is that the source code has been passed on to an un-named company, so perhaps this project will see the light of day in the future. Source: <a href="http://www.pocketpcblast.com/articles/2002/10/20021029-George-Andr-Ceases-Development.html">Pocket PC Blast</a>.

heyday
10-31-2002, 08:35 PM
Who needs it.....

At first I thought it would be a cool idea... but who needs it anymore....

Not me..... except maybe Pocket Quicken....

heyday

Ryan Mock
10-31-2002, 08:37 PM
There are several different reasons that one might want to have a Palm emulator on their Pocket PC. One of the biggest is that there are certain Palm apps which people enjoy using that do not have Pocket PC versions. An emulator would allow these people to use that app on their Pocket PC.

Paragon
10-31-2002, 08:45 PM
As each day goes by there is less, and less need for a Palm emulator. It must be something like a year since this project was started. At that time there weren't near as many PPC apps as there are today. I'm sure that there are still a few Palm apps that people would like to use, but I have a feeling that even if work continued on this project by the time it was in a usable state there would be very little need for it by then. Too bad he put an incredible amount of time and effort into it.

Dave

Ryan Mock
10-31-2002, 08:51 PM
One use for the Palm emulator would be simply exchanging information between a Palm and a Pocket PC. Contacts, appointments, etc. can already be beamed, but if you're in an office there are documents, notes, etc. that you would like to have access to - if the other party has a Palm and is using a Palm app this would be a great use for the emulator.

Jonathan1
10-31-2002, 08:52 PM
About bloody time someone shot this thing and put it out of its misery. There has been hype since day one. Hype is good but only as long as results occur. AFAIK there was a single Alpha leaked and that was it. All the time on pocketmatrix was its coming. The developer has been too busy but its coming. What I want to know is how far he got on the project. If this project is truly dead then there is no reason to not release the source code. Show us your bread and butter of the project and try and let others take it where you left off.

sponge
10-31-2002, 09:05 PM
The alpha was released officially too.

Eciton
10-31-2002, 09:45 PM
SFCave ;)

JornadaJ
10-31-2002, 10:08 PM
It had it's purpose. Although as time went on, I had less and less use for it.

[Cruzer]
10-31-2002, 10:27 PM
SFCave ;)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gravcave/

port for ppc

Gremmie
10-31-2002, 10:59 PM
Their is a great need for it, namely I don't want to pay $50 for a Word program that will not change my formatting. On the same note, its like dual booting, one OS to play your day to day operations, the other for that one program what you wanted soo bad but it isn't for your PPC platform. For $100 more than a high end palm, why not buy a ppc where you can get an emulator and have the functionability of both devices.

BTS
11-01-2002, 12:32 AM
I actually have one Palm-only application that I'm working with. Unfortunately it's a custom job (written in CASL) so the emulator would have been nice to have. Other than that I quite enjoy the PPC versions of many programs out there.

rob_ocelot
11-01-2002, 01:25 AM
It had it's purpose. Although as time went on, I had less and less use for it.

On that note, I've had a few problems with the released alpha. How do you exit the program and keep the existing Palm memory intact? Every time I run the program I have to start at square one with a hard reset (on the Palm). Also, how do you actually integrate programs into the emulator/system ROM?

The documentation from the author was rather cryptic and not very helpful.

Regards,
Rob s.

Eciton
11-01-2002, 09:58 AM
Ooh! Cheers Cruzer!