View Full Version : SuperSite for Windows: Zune Not So Super

Aaron Roma
12-01-2006, 06:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/zune.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/zune.asp</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>&quot;I told my friend that Microsoft's device couldn't just be as good as the iPod. It had to be dramatically better. It had to offer obvious and immediate benefits over Apple's system and it had to be priced lower... Microsoft took absolutely none of my advice&quot;</em></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Another Zune review, this time from Paul Thurrott of SuperSite for Windows. Paul's review is mostly negative, primarily with complaints about the software and marketplace experience. (Although Paul does point out that the installation process is not all too different from a new iTunes / iPod installation.) He does give some nice props to the hardware and interface, which I completely agree with. Even with the slight size increase over the iPod, hardware wise, the Zune gets my nod over iPod. Overall Paul finds the Zune to be a decent device, but still lacking in features to be a true competitor. I was refreshed, especially in such a negative review, to see Paul mention that too much has been made of the Zune's compatibility issues with Vista; confidant an updated release will be made available before Vista's consumer availability.</p>

David Tucker
12-01-2006, 03:14 PM
I was unimpressed actually. I got the impression of someone annoyed that MS didn't do it the way he wanted it done. I think this quote is telling :

If you've never seen an iPod, you'll be super impressed.

The Zune, on its own merits, is an impressive device...so why the need to bash it?

Janak Parekh
12-01-2006, 04:35 PM
The Zune, on its own merits, is an impressive device...so why the need to bash it? Wait a second. Are you saying the Zune shouldn't be compared to the iPod? Why not?

I personally think Paul's review was very fair. A consumer can't judge the Zune on what it may be in the future, but what it is now.

--janak

David Tucker
12-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Not that it shouldn't be compared to the iPod...but that very few reviews look at it on its own merits. Most of them seem to be along the lines of "Well, if I was going to get either this or an iPod, I should get an iPod because this is just as good as the iPod and for me to get it, this would have to be better"

Which makes no sense.

Janak Parekh
12-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Not that it shouldn't be compared to the iPod...but that very few reviews look at it on its own merits. Most of them seem to be along the lines of "Well, if I was going to get either this or an iPod, I should get an iPod because this is just as good as the iPod and for me to get it, this would have to be better" Hmm. If I understand you correctly, you're saying "all things being equal, they should be considered on their own merits". But Paul isn't asserting equality in the first place. He's saying that, large screen and a few other touches aside, the iPod has far superior functionality (podcasts, purchasable videos, games... he also doesn't mention the clock, alarm support, etc. on the iPod) and accessory support. You may or may not agree with him, but based on his argument, I have to agree with his conclusions.

--janak

flatline response
12-02-2006, 02:05 PM
A rock-bottom price would've helped tremendously, IMO. Look, if MSFT is trying to rattle Apple's monopolistic-like iPod gorilla, it's gonna take drastic measures. And since MSFT has already admitted this is going to be a money loser for a LONG time, they might as well make some noise in a BIG way, and a loss-leader 1G Zune would've done that.