View Full Version : Now You See Us, Now You Don't...

Jason Dunn
10-31-2002, 04:52 PM
I was having some trouble checking my email today, and upon further investigation it seems that pocketpcthoughts.com was removed from the Rackshack DNS (our server). This means that some of you may have trouble accessing the site today until it's changed back. We're still working on the lack of email notifications as well - I can get them 100% of the time, but I know that many of you can't. Thanks for your patience!

Paragon
10-31-2002, 06:37 PM
Patience...WHAT patiences!?

It's no real biggie. It's not like those of us who post regularily in PPC forums don't check them anyway. Less email is kinda nice sometimes. :)

Dave

Paragon
10-31-2002, 09:33 PM
I got mail!

Thanks, Jason I seem to be receiving email now.

Dave

Pony99CA
11-01-2002, 10:10 AM
It's no real biggie. It's not like those of us who post regularily in PPC forums don't check them anyway.
No biggie to you maybe. :-P I almost never look at the places I posted unless I get that E-mail notification. Even if I did look, I'd have to find my last posting manually, right?

Personally, I think fixing E-mail notifications is the #1 thing to address. Since we're not paying, I'm not complaining mind you, but (assuming this was caused by the new look) I wish there had been more testing before this went live.

Despite that, this is still my favorite Pocket PC site (excluding mine, of course :lol:).

Steve

Pony99CA
11-01-2002, 10:12 AM
I got mail!

Thanks, Jason I seem to be receiving email now.

I'm haven't gotten any yet. Of course, I haven't posted in a day or so, except for the previous post.

When this is fixed, will we get notifications for all the threads that we missed notifications for, or will we just get notified for posts after the fix?

Steve

Paragon
11-01-2002, 02:14 PM
No, I only got email for the threads I posted in yesterday.

Dave

Jonathon Watkins
11-01-2002, 04:16 PM
It's no real biggie. It's not like those of us who post regularily in PPC forums don't check them anyway.
No biggie to you maybe. :-P I almost never look at the places I posted unless I get that E-mail notification. Even if I did look, I'd have to find my last posting manually, right?

Same here - I only look at the last 10 posts (REALLY nice feature to have btw :wink:) and the email notification. I still seem to be missing some I think that should be been sent.

Jason Dunn
11-01-2002, 07:01 PM
Personally, I think fixing E-mail notifications is the #1 thing to address. Since we're not paying, I'm not complaining mind you, but (assuming this was caused by the new look) I wish there had been more testing before this went live.

It is, and as I've explained many times before, it's a DNS issue - ensim.pocketpcthoughts.com is the name of our server internally, but that wasn't added to the Rackshack external DNS. So when most of your ISP mail servers received a message from my server, it would try to do a lookup on ensim.pocketpcthoughts.com and fail - and the mail would bounce.

The DNS changes have been submitted (finally) and things should start to resolve over the next few days.

:!: There was no way to test this before launch - trust me on this. :!:

Pony99CA
11-02-2002, 02:13 AM

It is, and as I've explained many times before, it's a DNS issue - ensim.pocketpcthoughts.com is the name of our server internally, but that wasn't added to the Rackshack external DNS. So when most of your ISP mail servers received a message from my server, it would try to do a lookup on ensim.pocketpcthoughts.com and fail - and the mail would bounce.

The DNS changes have been submitted (finally) and things should start to resolve over the next few days.

:!: There was no way to test this before launch - trust me on this. :!:
I don't think I've seen the explanation before, so I appreciate that. It almost makes sense, too. :-) (Not being Mr. Protocol, I do wonder why my mail server tries to look up your mail server -- is that a security feature to avoid fake headers?)

Anyway, the good news is that I'm now getting notifications (which is how I got here). :-)

The bad news is that I'll have to find something else to complain about. I wonder what my wife is cooking.... :lol:

Steve

Jason Dunn
11-02-2002, 02:16 AM
Yes, it's a security feature to avoid mail server spoofing where a server gives out fake IP address information or is otherwise invalid.

Glad it's working for you again. :D