View Full Version : Microsoft Club PocketPC Case Review

Newsboy
10-29-2002, 09:59 PM
I just received my Club PocketPC case from Microsoft, and figured I'd post a review of it.

http://www.microsoftgear.net/pocketpc/clubpocketpc/product/PDA-case_360.jpg

The Good:

- LARGE. Big enough to hold my A/C adaptor, sync cables, spare cds...everything! But not so big that I can't fit it into my messenger bag for plane trips. I will post exact measurements later, but I'd say about 6x9.
- Lots of pockets! There's a large mesh pocket in the back for bigger, bulkier items, better than 8 usable mesh pockets for CF cards, business card slots (for ID, frequent flier cards, etc.), a small mesh pocket on the divider, and another pocket below the PocketPC for whatever else you might need, an external zipper pocket, and a mesh cell phone pocket.
- Sturdy. Very well made, certainly worth more than the $18 I paid for it, IMHO. High quality materials and fabrication.
- Space for everything. There are loops for spare styli, a pen loop, business card slots, a clear slot to display your business card or ID, CF holders on the back of the divider. Well organized and laid out.
- It's a small detail, but there's a grommetted hole on the hinge, that works as a pass-through for headphones. This way, you can plug in your headphones, and still listen to your PocketPC w/o having to have the case open.
- Rubber pull tags for the zipper pulls. They won't break, won't fray, and make it easier to grab the zipper to open it.

The bad:
- The tops of the CF pockets are not elastic. Getting cards in and out of the slots is a minor pain.
- Getting ID in and out of the clear plastic display holder on the divider flap is difficult at best. I would recommend sticking your business card in there and NOT using it for your ID.
- I have a Motorola TimePort cell phone (flip-phone), and it's about half as long as the mesh cell phone pocket on the outside. Difficult to get the phone out of the mesh pocket.
- You have to attach a big (2" square) piece of velcro to your PPC to hold it in place. I have never liked having velcro on my PPC. Just a personal niggle.

The ugly:
- And this shortcoming is REALLY ugly...using this case for the first time, I went to use my PPC two hours later...and it was dead! Bouncing around in my bag, the hard divider apparently kept hitting the keys on my Audiovox Maestro, thus keeping it turned on the whole time it was in the case! I was NOT a happy camper!

Conclusion:
- If you carry your PPC on your hip, and want a small bag to stick in your breifcase to carry your AC adaptor, CF cards, keyboard, etc. etc.; I'd recommend this bag. It's very inexpensive, and has room for everything! Makes a great traveling accessory bag.
- If, however, you plan to keep your PPC in this case, skip it. I CANNOT recommend you keep your PPC in this case, as your batteries will end up going dead in no time flat. This is one flaw so bad I just can't overlook it.

- Jeremy

PS - I will post my own pictures and add a few details to this review when I get home tonight. Free free to ask questions!