View Full Version : Expansys is at it again: iPAQ 5000 GSM/GPRS

marlof
10-29-2002, 11:00 AM
<a href="http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=IPAQ5000GPRS">http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=IPAQ5000GPRS</a><br /><br />The British etailer Expansys must be the king of devices that can be pre-ordered. As soon as the specs get announced for a device, it seems to show up on their site as "available for pre-order". In my experience this translates into "We don't know if we're going to carry it, when we're going to carry it, and what the price will be. But you can be on the wishlist for this one." They will ask for confirmation by the time they can ship, and they will only charge your credit card when they actually ship the unit. I've had good experiences with Expansys in both ordering and cancelling orders, but am a little skeptical when it comes to their predictions on availability of items that are not actually in stock.<br /><br />Anyhow, this time the iPAQ 5000 series showed up on their site, and it looks like they added one question to the pre-order routine: "We don't know what it is exactly that you'll be ordering". They write: "Specifications of the new iPAQ range are still unconfirmed - but we have heard reports of the iPAQ H5000 Series, which feature integrated Bluetooth and GSM/GPRS capabilities, as well as a biometric fingerprint scanner for added security. Keep checking this page for updates on the new range. The iPAQ H5000 will be based on the Intel PXA250 XScale processor running at 400MHz, but RAM may be greater than 64MB (possibly 128MB). It will also feature a user-removable battery. Existing expansion jackets and cables that are compatible with the H3800 and H3900 series should also be compatible with the H5000 series."<br /><br />So if you want to feel like you actually ordered a H5000 series iPAQ, go ahead and sign up. Just don't fool yourself in thinking that you'll get it before anyone else. The HP Jornada 928 wda is still on <a href="http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=HP_928">pre-order with Expansys</a>. Source: Paris Paraskevas.

Jonathon Watkins
10-29-2002, 11:39 AM
:roll: Hmmmmm.... :roll: They really shouldn't show it untill thier suppliers have let them know that it is avaibile. What's the point otherwise?
The HP Jornada 928 wda is still on pre-order with Expansys

Says it all really doesn't it.

Now I've ordered from Expansys before - and found them to the good and fast - but stunts like this don't exactly inspire my confidence in them. :evil:

NLS
10-29-2002, 12:09 PM
expansys is getting to be classic with this

as you said, sometime after some roumors go out about a device (probably the first week they read them), they make a page for it

as long as they don't CHEAT you this way, it's ok

what happened some time ago was different though... the "infamous" SX45 case

they didn't know the technical details exactly even when they were waiting for the first stock (and ACCEPTING real preorders) and they HAD WRONG DATA on the site (ie. said it was GPRS or freely updateable - not)

if I had preordered back then, I would sue them (and emailed them exactly that - no comments of course)

Malmer
10-29-2002, 12:42 PM
It's not that bad. They just want to make sure that when people buy the first released items they want it to be from them. No need to get frustrated.

paris
10-29-2002, 12:49 PM
yeah i know i was i amazed i saw the iPaq 5000 sereis listed on thier site. I have ordered from them before (my H3850) and they gave me a feel that they were very very ok. I used them lots of times for PPC acessories and i am happy with thier services.

Taking preorderd is a good thing coz when the device becoved available and they are getting some they know how many devices to get in order to fulfill customer orders which is a good thing.

I remember when my H3850 was out (i had preordered it over a month) i had my hands on it 3 days after it was released!!! Also its good to note that expansys did ship the item out of the UK(Cyprus) and that did save me a lot of money for i did not have to pay the UK VAT tax.

Paragon
10-29-2002, 02:41 PM
Taking preorderd is a good thing coz when the device becoved available and they are getting some they know how many devices to get in order to fulfill customer orders which is a good thing.

This is the only purpose for preordering. They want to get a feel for how the device is going to go over.

Myself I think it is totally ridiculous to have a device available for preorder when it has not even been released yet. It's one thing if the details are quite certain, and the release is around the corner, but all this does is add confusion to the matter. By most reports Expansys do quite well without stooping to this kind of behavior.....it's cheap.

Dave