View Full Version : Microdrive drains power of Pocket PC

volker
10-28-2002, 08:59 PM
Hi,

I ran into a strange problem with my Ipaq 3955. I use a 1 Gig microdrive in a CF plus sleeve (the one with the additional battery) but my power is drained very quickly. I know that microdrives are supposed to be "murder for the battery".

However, this weekend, I charged my batteries completely and than I closed all running progamms and turned the pocket PC off. About 1 1/2 to 2 days later both batteries were drained to the point that the "safty" settings prohibited to turn on the PC.

This can't be normal, can it? Or could it be that the microdrive is broken so that it drains power when it shouldn't?

I really need to know whether I have to return the microdrive. :(

Thaks for your help,
Volker

AZMark
10-28-2002, 10:25 PM
Sounds like your typical Pocket PC power drain problems. Check out other threads but likely cause, hyperactive IR. Hit Settings, Connections, Beam and uncheck the box to recieve all.

Or it could be the constant turning on of your unit. This is caused by run away appointments with reminders. To fix??? Kill off all reminders? Not sure i've seen a great fix for this, but I believe the latest ROM update from HP may fix this?

Those seem to be the two power off killers of batteries, if anyone has more let me know. The Microdrive is bad, but should be just bad if you are accessing it.

AZMark

volker
10-28-2002, 10:43 PM
Hey - thanks for the fast reply. I turned my IR off.
The drain only occurs when the microdrive is inserted. Without microdrive no drain whatsoever.

I was also wondering whether the fact that I have "Power Store" installed could contribute to my problem. Currently the memory is updated every 2 seconds. I am not sure whether that means that the microdrive is kept spinning all the time. I have changed it to "update every 300 sec" just to be sure.

What worries me is that the drain occurs with no programms running and the PC turned off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
Volker

Janak Parekh
10-28-2002, 11:47 PM
I have a Microdrive with a CF+ sleeve and the 3870, and I don't have this problem. It does sound like software like that could be causing the problem, and could exacerbate it when the unit automatically turns itself on at midnight for appointment rotation. Is it possible that Power Store keeps the unit on at those times and lets the Microdrive run amok?

--bdj