View Full Version : Dead pixels on iPAQ 39xx- is this common?

batsai
10-25-2002, 06:52 PM
I was just wondering how many of you have encountered this problem as well... I emailed HP to ask about the dead pixels on my new 3955 and this is the response they sent:

This is with reference to your e-mail regarding the ipaq screen. We would like to inform you that this is common with TFT display technology. You will always find one or two pixels in on or off condition. Unfortunately there is no fix for this at this point of time. The only thing you could do if there a few pixels, which are off is to return the unit to Circuit City or call our order center. Please call our order center at the following number: 1-800-952-7689 option 1 and option 2.

Is this the case with most of you who own this machine? It seems ridiculous for a machine that costs this much to have such a defect. I was just wondering how common this problem is, as I've never encountered this problem in any of the other handhelds I've owned (Handsprings, color Clies, Toshiba e310)

Thanks!

sponge
10-25-2002, 09:22 PM
That is utter BS. I've had PDAs since my Pilot 5000, and the only problem I've ever had is one dead pixel in a 3630, which also had a plethora of other problems such as dust and a compeltly messed up digitizer.

batsai
10-25-2002, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I pretty much tend to agree, except that I've exchanged this model iPAQ several times now (I think 4) and have only received one without any dead pixels. I'm still mulling over whether it's worth taking it back and exchanging it again or if I should just get a refund and wait for the Loox :(

OTHHC
10-26-2002, 03:25 AM
Dead pixels are more common than most people think. If you consider that there are 76,800 pixels on PPC screens, having one or two dead ones doesn't seem that bad from a percentage perspecitve.

Many screens have dead pixels but this goes unnoticed by many people unless they are either very particular or the dead pixel(s) are in an area that makes them very easy to see. Not sure why it doesn't seem to be an issue with other LCDs...

I think the different screen technologies are also affecting the frequency of dead pixels. Despite the incredible screens on many of the older Casio models, many of these had a high frequency of dead pixels. I don't think we have seen issues with very many iPAQs.

That's my 2 cents...

Pony99CA
10-26-2002, 07:03 AM
Dead pixels have been an issue for a long time on many devices. For example, video camera viewfinders have the same problem. Unless you have more than a few dead pixels, it's probably best not to exchange your iPAQ.

Steve

batsai
10-26-2002, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the replies guys; it makes me feel better to know that I'm not alone in dealing with this problem. I thought I was in the twilight zone there for a sec. I'm still not certain if I should exchange this iPAQ yet again- the dead pixel is right in the middle of the screen and glows bright red ALL THE TIME. On the other hand, there's no guarantee that the next one I'd get would be any better. Decisions, decisions... but thanks again for the help- it is appreciated!

Stanley Tan
01-02-2003, 02:48 PM
What's the best way to determine if your iPAQ has dead pixels?

Kati Compton
01-02-2003, 04:38 PM
Look at it with a white screen and then with a black screen. Try using those "Flashlight" and "Mirror" freeware programs. If there's a stuck pixel, it should stand out for one of those.

blazingwolf
01-02-2003, 04:42 PM
I have a bad pixel on my 3955. On a black screen the bad pixel is a light colored blue. Very hard to miss.

disconnected
01-02-2003, 04:49 PM
There's also a neat free program called SolidColorScreen that I found on PocketPCPassion a long time ago, that I think is still available for download. It just turns the whole screen into a solid color (and gives you a whole chart of colors to choose from). Here's the link --

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/NewsArchive/Whats_New_Archive_Nov00.htm

There's another similar free app called Colorview that's kind of neat. It allows you to put in any RGB values and shows you the color (not quite full screen) --

http://home.swbell.net/odonnel1/ppc.htm

JvanEkris
01-02-2003, 04:50 PM
In the Netherlands, there have been several reports of dead pixels as well. The official statement was the same.

IMHO, it looks to me that the quality of the screens of the Ipaq's is less than it used to be, especially if you compare the screen and price with other products. Personally i have a Loox, two Jornada's and a philps Nino, and never had any dead pixels. Nor have i seen many reports from other manufacturers. Although you can expect a dead pixel every now and then in production, reports are becomming too frequent for me to suspect stastical variance.....

Jaap

Janak Parekh
01-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Although you can expect a dead pixel every now and then in production, reports are becomming too frequent for me to suspect stastical variance.....
On the other hand, more iPaqs have traditionally been produced than other units. I've seen about 10 3xxx iPaqs and have never encountered a dead pixel. The 5450's seem to be having some more trouble, though, as they're manufactured by someone else and perhaps the kinks aren't worked out.

--janak

seanturner
01-07-2003, 08:16 AM
I've had 4 iPaq's and two of them have had dead pixels. My first 3635 had a dead pixel and my new 5450 does as well. :x

seanturner
01-07-2003, 08:17 AM
Also, I don't think there are necessarily more dead pixels on handhelds and cameras, but, rather they have smaller screens so you're more likely to noticed the dead pixel as there are fewer working ones to cover up for it.