View Full Version : ActiveSync 3.6 Officially Released

Ed Hansberry
10-23-2002, 02:00 PM
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/downloads/activesync36.asp">http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/downloads/activesync36.asp</a><br /><br />Microsoft has officially released ActiveSync 3.6 after it was inadvertently uploaded to their public download site a few weeks ago. The new items include:<br /><br />• The New Partnership Wizard now makes it easier for you to configure your mobile device to synchronize with a server. (Note that this functionality is available if your company is running Microsoft Mobile Information Server 2002 or later.) <br />• If you are already synchronizing with a server, the options to configure your server synchronization settings are now easier to use.<br />• Experience increased reliability of ActiveSync communications with your mobile device.<br /><br />There is <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/downloads/activesync/as-new36.asp">more info on ActiveSync here</a>. If you have ActiveSync 3.5 and all is working well and you don't need the Mobile Information Server enhancements, there is no reason to rush out and upgrade. If the MIS enhancements interest you or you are having some USB issues, I recommend you download as soon as possible. I installed over ActiveSync 3.5 and it went just fine. No need to uninstall previous versions. Source: Charlie Carter

Busdriver
10-23-2002, 02:25 PM
I can't tell from the website-is it the same build that slipped out earlier? (Build 2148)

torgamm
10-23-2002, 02:43 PM
I just installed it and it is the same build: 2148

Sven Johannsen
10-23-2002, 02:44 PM
(Note that this functionality is available if your company is running Microsoft Mobile Information Server 2002 or later.)
And of course Exchange Server.
If ...you are having some USB issues

Wouldn't that cover nearly everyone ;)

Busdriver
10-23-2002, 03:10 PM
I just installed it and it is the same build: 2148

Thanks[/b]

Ed Hansberry
10-23-2002, 03:28 PM
(Note that this functionality is available if your company is running Microsoft Mobile Information Server 2002 or later.)
No. Exchange Server does not have this functionality. Not yet anyway. Exchange 2003 will have MIS built in. Exchange 2000 requires Mobile Info Server be installed on a separate server within the domain and Exchange 5.5 and earlier don't support MIS at all.

JvanEkris
10-23-2002, 03:30 PM
Be aware that this build has created some new problems on a fresh install. With the loox you could not install the USB-drivers because of some bug somewheren in Activesync 3.6Beta !!

Jaap

torgamm
10-23-2002, 03:37 PM
The downloaded file msasync.exe is the very same file I downloaded some weeks ago on MS site
It is a self-extractible ZIP file and everything in it has the same size/date
I do not think we can speak about a "Beta" version
But the more recent is wceusbsh.inf (06/28/2002): was it the more difficult to complete or do they use the date for another purpose?

JorgXDA
10-23-2002, 03:38 PM
When I tried ActiveSync 3.6 before, I encountered a lot of problems with Outlook XP on the desktop. I think this was due to the fact the 3.6 includes some "pass-trough" internet-connection to the mobile device. When the device was connected, I could not receive e-mail on the desktop using Outlook XP. I did not always have Pocket Inbox open, so it must be a conflict at some other level.

Did some of you also experience this?

Ed Hansberry
10-23-2002, 03:53 PM
When I tried ActiveSync 3.6 before, I encountered a lot of problems with Outlook XP on the desktop. I think this was due to the fact the 3.6 includes some "pass-trough" internet-connection to the mobile device. When the device was connected, I could not receive e-mail on the desktop using Outlook XP. I did not always have Pocket Inbox open, so it must be a conflict at some other level.

Did some of you also experience this?
No. I have AS 3.6 and Outlook XP and frequently use passthrough. No probs here.

fireflyrsmr
10-23-2002, 04:47 PM
i would think the pass thrus are a reason to upgrade. when i get a link from mazingo there isn't an automated way to get that link to the web since the only connection to the world is through my desktop. if i'm understanding this i could tap on the hyperlink and it would go to that web site. yes? :?:

Ed Hansberry
10-23-2002, 05:14 PM
i would think the pass thrus are a reason to upgrade. when i get a link from mazingo there isn't an automated way to get that link to the web since the only connection to the world is through my desktop. if i'm understanding this i could tap on the hyperlink and it would go to that web site. yes? :?:
Passthrough is in AS 3.5. AS 3.6 adds nothing in that regard.

puithove
10-23-2002, 07:13 PM
Has anyone else gotten the "This is not Windows Logo certified" on this?

Wiggin
10-23-2002, 07:27 PM
Along with Ed, I too have been using AS3.6 since it was first posted in September (I downloaded on the 16th), and have had zero problems using it. I run XP Pro on my PC, and use a 3850 PPC. In fact, I would say the number of "failed" sync attempts that used to occur with 3.5 have dropped almost to zero. I was surprised by the title of this String as I was under the assumption that 3.6 had been released "formally" a month ago. Regardless, I suggest everyone running 3.5 to upgrade if you suffer from unpredictable sync success. If you have few, or zero, sync failures, I suggest you stay with 3.5...it is essentially the same as 3.6, and if you have it working smoothly, there is no need to upset the sensitive PPC applecart :wink:

Sven Johannsen
10-23-2002, 08:17 PM
No. Exchange Server does not have this functionality. Not yet anyway. Exchange 2003 will have MIS built in. Exchange 2000 requires Mobile Info Server be installed on a separate server within the domain and Exchange 5.5 and earlier don't support MIS at all.

What I meant was you needed to be running Exchange for MIS to have anything for you to sync to, Exchange mail, contacts, etc. If I'm mistaken here, sorry. Just briefly, what does MIS serve other than Exchange stuff?

Ed Hansberry
10-23-2002, 08:39 PM
What I meant was you needed to be running Exchange for MIS to have anything for you to sync to, Exchange mail, contacts, etc. If I'm mistaken here, sorry. Just briefly, what does MIS serve other than Exchange stuff?

Ahh... misunderstood what you meant. Yeah, you need Exchange 2000 to work with MIS. Sort of understood. Don't think MIS will even install if it can't find Exchange on the network. Technically, you also need Windows 2000 Server, but that too is understood. :wink:

l0o5er
10-23-2002, 09:56 PM
bloody MS updates! Careful with this update. I already had 3.6 installed but reinstalled cos I thought it might be a new build (& I continue to have USB problems with AS). It deleted my partnership & uninstalled my Ipaq usb driver