View Full Version : Orange SPV Smartphone 2002 review

marlof
10-23-2002, 06:11 AM
<a href="http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2895473,00.html">http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2895473,00.html</a><br /><br />David Coursey reviews the Orange SPV Smartphone 2002. I'll give you a few of the soundbites that set the tone of that review.<br />• "Because it's based on Microsoft's familiar Windows user interface, the Smartphone was easy for me to start using right away." <br />• "The Orange Smartphone exceeds the capabilities of the current generation of top-of-the-line handsets, including Siemens S55, Sony Ericsson T68i, and the Symbian-powered Nokia 7650." <br />• "[...]comparing a Smartphone to the rest of what's out there is depressing if you're determined to not buy Microsoft." <br />• "Microsoft has introduced new technology that has pushed cell phones a big step forward." <br />• "[...]the established order has now been changed to bring Microsoft in as a full player in the cellular business."<br /><br />It sure sounds like he's one excited reviewer. Source: Foo Fighter.

Foo Fighter
10-23-2002, 06:49 AM
And I see the anti-Microsoft crowd is adding their "valuable" opinions to the article (read the comments). :roll:

David C
10-23-2002, 09:07 AM
Nice.. but how about something a little smaller.. like a clam shell design.. something like the Samsung i-600. I work at Sprint PCS, and phones with the snicker bar form factor don't sell very well. The Sanyo 4900 is cool with 3G color screen and all, but it just sits in the inventory room.

Now it would be nicer if they suport SDIO, or perhaps video phone capability.

Garry [WMA]
10-23-2002, 11:01 AM
I was told yesterday that the spv does have sdio. Have to say having held one I actually really like the form factor.

sbisson
10-23-2002, 11:53 AM
Having my hands on one for the last week or so, I'd have to agree. It's an excellent device, easy to use and with a very attractive pricing model.

It'll be a pity when we have to send the review phone back...

sbisson
10-23-2002, 12:00 PM
Nice.. but how about something a little smaller.. like a clam shell design.. something like the Samsung i-600.

No, I saw the Samsung MS Smartphone at the Smartphone launch last night, and I hae to say the flip just doesn't work for the way I use the Smartphone. I like being able to see appointments and call information without having to open the flip...

farnold
10-23-2002, 01:28 PM
I must be missing something there. Maybe someone can help me a little bit...

Two years ago when they started talking about that idea I loved it and was looking orward to it. But now we have devices like the XDA. What is the point of having this one then? Not compatible to all PocketPC applications while actually being bigger... I really can't see, why people would be going this way... So, what is it that I'm missing here?

MattPatty
10-23-2002, 01:40 PM
Anybody know if these phones are tri-band and if so would they work with North American GSM/GPRS providers. If so I might have to sack one up. I'm sure they will be on Ebay soon. :D

vetteguy
10-23-2002, 01:47 PM
Too bad I still can't have one in the US. :?

splintercell
10-23-2002, 02:44 PM
Anybody know if these phones are tri-band and if so would they work with North American GSM/GPRS providers. If so I might have to sack one up. I'm sure they will be on Ebay soon. :D

Phone Scoop says it is tri-band:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=203

Now I have to find a network-unlocked one for sale somewhere. :wink:

kennyg
10-23-2002, 02:59 PM
I'm actually using a Sendo one now in the US (Minneapolis), but can't use the GPRS because I don't have settings for the AT&T GPRS data network... :(

Oh well, my Pocket PC has already become a second class citizen because of this thing, and unlike a Pocket PC which some people like and some just don't (don't like Palms either), they love the Smartphone, Microsoft definately has a winner here.

splintercell
10-23-2002, 02:59 PM
No, I saw the Samsung MS Smartphone at the Smartphone launch last night, and I hae to say the flip just doesn't work for the way I use the Smartphone. I like being able to see appointments and call information without having to open the flip...

Any comments, reviews, opinions on the Samsung model? If this comes out for Verizon next year, I will seriously consider it. I still think I'd prefer a flip, just to keep the size down - I don't mind opening it up. But is it still a lot larger than other flips? How is the usability? And any comment on whether or not it functions in analog mode?

Janak Parekh
10-23-2002, 03:27 PM
Two years ago when they started talking about that idea I loved it and was looking orward to it. But now we have devices like the XDA. What is the point of having this one then? Not compatible to all PocketPC applications while actually being bigger... I really can't see, why people would be going this way... So, what is it that I'm missing here?
This is more for people who want a voice-centric device first. We've had this discussion before... if you prefer the PPCPE units, by all means go for them. I've held and worked with the T-Mobile, and I do think it's a great unit, and I would probably prefer that over this. But for those who want a traditional keypad and more phone-like operation, this seems like a winner.

They really should push CDMA versions of the Smartphone and PPC PE units out of the door for North American adoption, though... it mystifies me why Microsoft hasn't pushed vendors to do this, seeing as how they're based here.

--bdj

Pinnacle
10-23-2002, 04:07 PM
Not compatible to all PocketPC applications while actually being bigger... I really can't see, why people would be going this way... So, what is it that I'm missing here?

I've never seen a Pocket PC that is 3.35 oz, so how can these phones be bigger than Pocket PC's? I love my T-Mobile, but there are times I'd love to just carry a 3 oz. phone for a change.

disconnected
10-23-2002, 07:16 PM
It's no heavier than the phone I have now, so if it were CDMA, AND it had bluetooth, I'd be happy to carry around both it and my iPAQ. Why doesn't it have bluetooth anyway?

sbisson
10-24-2002, 12:18 AM
Too bad I still can't have one in the US. :?

AT&T, Q1 2003 according to MS at the launch...

sbisson
10-24-2002, 12:05 PM
It's no heavier than the phone I have now, so if it were CDMA, AND it had bluetooth, I'd be happy to carry around both it and my iPAQ. Why doesn't it have bluetooth anyway?

It has SDIO capability, and Socket have just announced their SDIO Bluetooth card. Now put 2 and 2 together...

dhopton
10-24-2002, 04:39 PM
Can anyone veryify that the SPV can be used with IrDA and a laptop as a modem?I want to be able to use my laptop from a train and get online.

NeilE
10-24-2002, 11:43 PM
DHopton: Can anyone veryify that the SPV can be used with IrDA and a laptop as a modem? I want to be able to use my laptop from a train and get online.

Yes, you can use it over both IR and USB as a modem for your laptop.

MattPatty: Anybody know if these phones are tri-band and if so would they work with North American GSM/GPRS providers.

Yes, the phone is Tri-Band (I'm using mine in the US right now). However the retail phones from Orange will be SIM locked to Orange so you may have difficulty getting them to work in the US.