View Full Version : Improving the Retail Experience

Jason Dunn
10-23-2002, 03:00 PM
Jeff McKean, a marketing manager in the Mobile Devices division at Microsoft, is looking for a little feedback:<br /><br />"We’re looking for your input on what types of software and hardware accessories you would like to see in retail stores; and what you like and what disappoints you when you go in to stores looking for Pocket PC-specific software and accessories. We know that many of you are very savvy shoppers and if you’re on this site, you’re interested in Pocket PCs…so your opinion is very important to us! For example, we’re looking for:<br /><br />• Software that you think should be sold in retail stores <br />• Your favorite accessories that you can never find in a store <br />• How you would like your software delivered…CD, media card, etc. <br />• Any other help that you think we could provide to the retailers <br /><br />Your advice will make a difference! Thank you!"

jodpel
10-23-2002, 03:18 PM
IMHO...

I don't like software on SD cards. Almost everyone I know who has a PDA has a memory card inserted in that slot. I have lots of purchased software and books loaded on mine and it is impractical to remove this card to use a program stored on another card. The cards are too small, expensive, and easily lost to pack around when not in use.

The only SD card I want to carry around is the one that is inserted in my PDA. When I buy software, I load it onto my PDA or the storage card inserted in my PDA depending on how large it is.

mobileMike
10-23-2002, 03:26 PM
Personally, I don't think PocktPC software should be in stores. Maybe there could be a KIOSK where the user could dock their PDA as guest and install some software (maybe with the assistance of a sales person). Essentially, this KIOSK would have affiliated links to places like Handago or PocketGear.

The reason for this is because most PocketPC software should be tried before purchased. Most software for these devices are also fairly simple/self-explanitory so paper documentation is not so important either.

I wish there were more cases in the stores. I want to be able to slide my iPAQ with sleeve into the case and see how easy it is to use (headphones, CF/SD cards, sync).

/ mike

Chairman Clench
10-23-2002, 03:33 PM
Definately cases... the OEM cases are usually not the best ones. It would be great to be able to actually SEE a case before buying it. Case purchases are such a personal thing that it would be great to get the chance to touch it and try it first.

I also agree that software on flash cards is a waste. I like the idea of the in-store location that you could download, try, and purchase but it could be an expensive thing to set up.

How about getting e-books out there? What happened to being able to go to Barnes and Noble or Borders and download e-books from the store? This would add great exposure to the e-book format and PPCs. I think A LOT of people would get really excited over e-books if they knew more about them... especially on the PPC platform.

Thanks for taking the time to listen!

David McNamee
10-23-2002, 03:41 PM
I tend to not buy software in stores anymore. I much prefer electronic distribution. I've never purchased Pocket PC software from a brick-and-mortar store. Even with periferals, such as keyboards, I'll usually download the latest version of the driver or other software from the manufacturer's web site rather than use the included CD.

I do have a couple of suggestion for retailers. First, train the people on the devices they are selling. Very few people I've dealt with at retailers can tell you the differences between a Toshiba e310, an HP iPaq 3950, a Palm Zire, and a Sunbeam 2-Slice Toaster.

Secondly, make sure that the people working the PDA section keep the devices displayed nicely and in working order. All it would take is ten minutes every couple of hours to straighten up the area, make sure the devices are plugged in, turned on and working, and reset the devices to the start screen.

Lastly, set up the display so that people can pick up the device. A PDA is a personal purchase. People want to feel the things in their hands. Having your PDA selection securely bolted to the counter doesn't encourage exploration!

dochall
10-23-2002, 03:48 PM
Hmmm... Microsoft Store

I can't think of anything I have bought for my PPC in a retail store, however:

- Machines - the whole range of machines in a decent side by side display so I can do my own comparison - is the 3900 Ipaq screen that much better than the e740 (prefereably with all the machines actually charged etc. and make sure you get them early.
- Cases - I'll have a comprehensive range of cases that I can touch and feel.
- Software - The only software I have bought on CD are from Tom Tom. Routplanner I could have downloaded but Street planner I wanted all the maps and the download may be have been excessive. Definitely like the kiosk idea. Although I have BB a lot of people don't so the possibility of downloading and automatically installing (and perhaps also burning to CD/floppy) would be welcome.
- Media - really like software but ebooks and movies would be good. Streaming media would also be cool within the shop.
- Accessories - not much of an issue here but I would like to be able to actually try some of the more complex - have a screen linked to a Voyager card so you can see the quality and speed of the display etc. Oh and comprehensive as you can make it.
- Plush Steve and Bill - experience the joy of owning your own cuddly multi-billionaire. :D

Drag people in by providing a WIFI hotspot,coffee (starbucks please) and sofas.

Now the killer make prices as cheap as my favourite Internet supplier and put it at the end of my street.

I presume we're not thinking of this as a soley a retail operation but as much a showcase about the platform as anything so make it funky and make the environment as impressive as the product.

Rirath
10-23-2002, 04:07 PM
I work at the local Staples, in store Pocket PC software/hardware is a joke. The prices are much much higher than over the internet, and the selection is incredibly small. They're trying to fix an impossible problem. It will be a very long time before retail pocket pc software can match up to someplace like Handango. Pocket PC software is wide open right now to any developer, not just the big names. Retailers will never be able to match internet prices on hardware.

First, train the people on the devices they are selling. Very few people I've dealt with at retailers can tell you the differences between a Toshiba e310, an HP iPaq 3950, a Palm Zire, and a Sunbeam 2-Slice Toaster.

The typical problem... customers think we get some sort of ultra secret salesman schooling. Folks, we don't. They don't tell us a thing. Best you can hope for is someone like me who enjoys this kinda thing in their normal lives. Fact is, training wouldn't help. The retail price is probably going to be at least $100 over the net price. If you need me to tell you the difference between a Ipaq and a Zire, and you're thinking of buying it retail, you probably don't really need to know the specs anyway.

Secondly, make sure that the people working the PDA section keep the devices displayed nicely and in working order. All it would take is ten minutes every couple of hours to straighten up the area, make sure the devices are plugged in, turned on and working, and reset the devices to the start screen.

I wish you knew how much time I spend doing that every day, until little jhonny comes along and pulls every single machine off the wall, writes on it with his crayon, and loses the stylus. As for non working machines, we can't fix that. We don't have a supply of new batteries and we can't pull out a new unit every time Billy Bob drops our display.

Lastly, set up the display so that people can pick up the device. A PDA is a personal purchase. People want to feel the things in their hands. Having your PDA selection securely bolted to the counter doesn't encourage exploration!

I wish ours was bolted. You really don't absolutely need to hold a PDA, just use it.
Sure, it's not quite the same, but it'll help solve your last complaint.

Paul
10-23-2002, 04:21 PM
I've purchased everything above online and probably will continue to do so but what I would like to see in a retail store would be side by side PocketPCs I can pick up and cases. Lots and lots of cases. I've had my current PPC for a few months now and have yet to find a good case that fits with a WiFi CF card inserted.

OF course, stuff like extra stylus packs, emergency chargers, and type of power adapter would be nice to find in a retail store. Not that I would necessarily buy it there,... only in case of emergencies.

cpoole
10-23-2002, 04:30 PM
In my part of the country, all I usually see is a tiny section with the PocketPC itself, some cases and memory cards. Then look to the side and see a very large section with Palm related hardware, accessories & software... usually twice to ten times the amount.

I guess I make my purchases online because there is no other choice.

Ed Hansberry
10-23-2002, 04:35 PM
An IR kiosk that is in partnership with Handango so the .CAB file can be beamed to your device on the spot and it could burn the .CAB and the full blown desktop installer on a CD right there for you for an additional small charge or emailed to you from the kiosk. It would even allow you to get a trial version right there on the spot that could be purchased later.

Pick the top items, like Agenda Fusion/Pocket Informat PIMs, more powerful backup software, File Explorer replacements, databases, today plugins, etc. Even some freeware. Find the big sellers at Handango and make those work.

mccollin
10-23-2002, 04:39 PM
Personally,
I've probably bought my last PDA product retail... except maybe odds and ends from radio shack or impulse purchases.

The reason is that CompUSA hosed me on a PocketPC software package I paid $20 for a few weeks ago. It wouldn't install and the idiot in the store was well... an idiot. I tried to return it and he first gave me this really stupid grin and pointed on the CD case that it was for PocketPCs so that's why it wouldn't install..... I said... "of course I know it's for a PocketPC, the software gets loaded on the PC first, then gets pushed to the PocketPC... unless you are selling PocketPCs with CD-ROM drives now.". Actually, I didn't tell him the last part... but I thought it. It was his arrogant grin that really ticked me off. Then when a few more technical genius type comments were deflected by my superior technical intellect, he says "we can't return it because if violates the copyright laws!". What an idiot. I really don't know where they get these people from. At least have the good character to admit that you don't want to return it because you just don't, and there is nothing I can do about it. These made up excuses are idiotic. I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy another PocketPC software package retail.

OK, rant is over, back to the question.

I think that the vast majority of folks on this forum are not going to buy software retail. But, the vast majority of the PocketPC users aren't here on this forum... and MANY of them would buy more if it were available in the store. I don't think the Kiosk thing would work because it's got way too many technical hurdles, security and privacy, liability ... who is going to take all that risk... you plug in and install a program, and then your PocketPC is dead afterwards... who fixes it?

I do think a Kiosk concept could work if they let you download the package to a CD on the spot... This would be more manageable. It would need to be packaged in such a way that it was pretty hard to mess up. Maybe they could have a section of empty software boxes like you have in a video store. You find the one you want, you bring it to the kiosk and scan it under a UPC reader. The kisok then asked for you payment info, burns a CD, and spits it out for you. This way, the "in store" experience is intact, but they don't have to stock a bunch of stuff that is low volume and quickly obsolete.

Somewhere in there they would need to allow timed demo of the code for free... or even for a nominal media charge... say $0.99 per CD... load as many demos as you want on the CD.

The beauty of something like this is that Microsoft could build and deploy them, thus controlling the experience for the PocketPC customer. They could then also pile all kinds of other marketing tools on there as well... like up to date comparison tools and such. The software catalog could be unlimited and constantly updated, and they could just ship empty boxes to the stores as new products came out... but you could still buy them if you wanted to hunt for them on the kiosk.

Mark from Canada
10-23-2002, 04:49 PM
We are living in a smaller regional center (80,000 people) with the next bigger city 5 hours away.
It used to be that most displays were Palm, and some retailers dared to put empty dummy cases out for PocketPC.
It is getting better now. We even found a Toshiba e310 in a store. They were almost packing it up to send it back when a customer had returned it because it didn't work.
I looked at it, turned the battery-switch on, and it worked. They were so happy that they had not to return the two remaining ones as well that they gave us a discount on it.
Still: some training for the people selling it would be great. Maybe a Microsoft tour for retailers?
Retail is a problem nowadays because people and positions switch often so quickly that nobody takes the time to train/learn what they are doing: Hair curlers yesterday, toaster today, PDA tomorrow. I gave up relying on salespeople in stores a while ago and am positively surprised when I actually find someone knowing what they're selling (not just in electronics).
As for accessories: there are almost none in stock in our town. I can live with ordering software over the Internet, but for accessories I'm the touchy-feely-type.
They have some accessories (3 in town all stores combined?) for my IPaq - none for my wifes Toshiba - but I found (when being in a bigger city) that some manufacturers insist on sealing the packages so you can't easily open it, try it and get it "back in the box" if you don't like it so that the stores don't have a problem if you don't take it.

Maybe someone opens a chain of PDA-stores which carry a wide selection of all kinds of PDA supplies?

Ah, I almost forgot:
Somebody please make a keyboard with adapters for different PDA's/Cell Phones. There is really no need of buying three different keyboards for three different devices! Take a clue from the PC.

Jeff from MS
10-23-2002, 04:51 PM
Hello and thanks for all the input so far! I really appreciate it and keep it coming!

First, I want all of you folks to know that I was an enthusiast long before I started working for Microsoft. I understand some of the disappointments, as I experienced them when shopping for goodies for my favorite device. I also know some of the challenges that retailers experience in trying to decide on their focus, and my job is to help make that easier (and find cool stuff that would sell at retail!)

Second, it's not just software, it's also accessories we're interested in! Some of you mentioned cases, and I know how important that is (just as it is for mobile phones, for example). Keep thinking about those types of things as well (keyboards, expansion cards, etc.)

Third, we do have some training initiatives underway. It is a happy circumstance when a retail salesperson is also an enthusiast, but it's not always the case and we want to make sure as many folks as possible have a grounding in the products. Also, any ideas are welcome!

Fourth, yep, many enthusiasts buy software online and I sure don't expect that to change. Online software sales are super-important. I'm thinking more about basic, 'must-have' types of applications, folks that are new to Pocket PCs, or perhaps games.

Thanks a million times over for your input! Some of the best ideas come from the enthusiast community. Keep it coming!

Best regards to all of you,
Jeff

disconnected
10-23-2002, 05:10 PM
I don't have anything new to add, just want to add my vote for --

Lots of working Pocket PCs on display, preferably with some themes installed, so you could really see the differences in screen color of the various models (I've certainly been known to beam themes to a Pocket PC in a store, but I always feel a little guilty about it).

Cases, styluses (stylii?), keyboards, battery extenders, silver sliders, Whitney or GM cases with built-in CF slots, sleeves, and did I mention, lots of CASES (for naked Pocket PC and Pocket PC s with sleeves), not just generic plastic cases, but really nice ones from Inooch, TUMI, etc., including the ones for specific Pocket PCs. Even if it is too expensive to stock them all, even a sample that you could look at and then special-order would be helpful.

I don't often buy software in stores (it's easier to download it), but it would be nice to see some of it installed on display Pocket PCs.

I'd love to see ebook kiosks in bookstores and also in airports.

I don't want software on SD cards, but if the price were reasonable, I might buy current movies on an SD card, especially in an airport.

TomB
10-23-2002, 05:14 PM
This is actually very funny. Derek Brown from Microsoft went on the record Saturday at Brighthand that Microsoft would never provide programs optimized for the new PPCs. Three days later Jeff McKean from Microsoft marketing is looking for a little feedback on program retailing for the new PPCs! :)

Well, if Jeff McKean is dead serious, let's get some basic products that actually work at the speeds they are capable of on the new PPCs like the OS and Media Player. Once we get over that hurdle, I agree that programs should be done over the Internet. BTW - for those here who aren't aware yet, the new XScale PPCs with processors 150% to 200% faster then the old PPCs actually run programs up to half the speed of the old PPCs thanks in large part to Microsoft's published decision not to optimize for XScale. Go figure!

Rirath
10-23-2002, 05:17 PM
Jeff, well said.

As far as training goes, everyone I know in retail makes their best effort to bone up on the electronics products, from PDAs to fax machines. Not because it's required, we just like to know what we're talking about. Typically we do this by reading the box. :roll: Simple, but all the info is usually right there. What isn't can usually be found online. Typically I find myself explaining the differences between processor speeds, if you really can import *random MS product*, and basically stressing that a Pocket PC really is just that, a Pocket sized PC. Not just some little expensive address book.

Personally, I'd like to see Pocket PC's shown a little more respect in retail stores. We have big elaborate displays for MS networking, MS software, MS mice and keyboards, etc... but Pocket PC's are usually just on a counter somewhere alone, maybe with some related items. I wish more general consumers looked at the latest Ipaq with some flashy sign and oooh'ed like they do when looking at a new PC. :?

As for software, I agree with what's been said... find the top sellers and go for it. I look for software to come into it's own in time, but not yet. I still think too many of today's must have items are either free or published by some small developer for $5 who can't afford retail fees. Great for us, bad for retail.

Good luck man, I'm a big MS fan.

Jeff from MS
10-23-2002, 05:25 PM
Hi TomB, thanks for the input!

I wanted to make one thing clear (as I didn't do a real good job of it). I'm not necessarily talking about Microsoft software programs at retail...my job involves finding ways that Microsoft can help independent software vendors bring products to retail. Retail distribution is WAY more expensive than online, and there are a lot of hurdles to jump through...for example (I just found this out) if you clamshell package something (styli, for instance) you have to use a completely different plastic for the clamshell if you are going to distribute in Europe.

I'm looking for existing solutions (software and hardware accessories) that we can help bring to market at retail. But that's not all! Any ideas for new, different and cool solutions are also greatly appreciated and warmly accepted!

Thanks again!
Jeff

BTS
10-23-2002, 05:51 PM
I would love to see more hardware choices. I find it frustrating to go to Future Shop and see only Palm hardware accessories. Please give us: cases, keyboard options, and wireless compact flash. :D

mookie123
10-23-2002, 06:05 PM
Why can't they just put an old computer with a cradle at a store. A customer paid a the cashier at the cashier, and than he shove his PDA into cradle and download the software.

sounds like incredibaly simple solution. While at the store the store can combine the usual discount with other products.....

Hey maybe even sell MP3 or something.. If RIAA permit this of course.

Ed Hansberry
10-23-2002, 06:17 PM
Why can't they just put an old computer with a cradle at a store. A customer paid a the cashier at the cashier, and than he shove his PDA into cradle and download the software.

sounds like incredibaly simple solution. While at the store the store can combine the usual discount with other products.....

Hey maybe even sell MP3 or something.. If RIAA permit this of course.
And how many cradles would they need? iPAQ 3100-3700 series, iPAQ 3800-3900, Pocket PC Phone, Jornada, Casio, Toshiba, Dell, ViewSonic, @Migo, etc. And then troubleshoot AS USB connections? :wink:

But you know, a computer with an IR port would be universal.

hawkeye
10-23-2002, 06:19 PM
As for hardware a full range of cases and expansion sleeves is a must, with every combination of expansion possible/feasible. A battery included in the sleeve would also be welcome.

After sleeves then keyboards (thumb and foldable), chargers (Auto and Desktop), GPS, and memory (CF, SD, PCMCIA).

For software I would be happy with a Kiosk or CD distribution as long as it worked and there is a wide selection of titles.

If a Kiosk would work in a Staples, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc why not have a kiosk in a B&N or any other bookstore. I enjoy going into a bookstore and searching the shelves for new book to read. However, since I travel a lot I would rather have it in an ebook format.

Thanks for the opportunity to offer an opinion :lol:

Cortex
10-23-2002, 06:31 PM
When I visit CompUSA, or Best Buy, or Microcenter I am amazed at how poorly PocketPC's are marketed. There is typically somebody standing at the counter without a clue about what a handheld is, who then asks the sales person "I would like to look at the Palm pilots" (when they of course mean "handhelds").

In front of them, there are typically 10 or so handhelds with their displays off, a tiny list of features, and a large price tag in front of them. The sales person picks up a Palm pilot (since that's what they asked for) and begins to show the "features" as the customer glances at the other identical appearing gray and saver devices, but really only sees the large price tags above them. And I sadly walk away thinking "The Creation of Another Palm User"...

Am I the only one who experiences this???

While I appreciate the concept of asking a bunch of handheld aficionados how third party software should be marketed and what accessories we would like to see in the store, shouldn't Microsoft first just cover the marketing basics?

1. The name has to be catchy...
"I know, lets call it Windows CE 3.0 Handheld Device! -- that'll sell 'em!".
Or maybe not...

So now we're stuck with the mouthful "Pocket PC" which is only slightly better. I still feel a little embarrassed spitting out that mouthful to correct the person who asks what kind of Palm I have.

2. Capture their attention...
Do you think Pocket PC's would sell better if there was a cool video playing an MTV style, attention grabbing, full color movie interleaved with action shots of the Start menu being opened and cool programs running, and a toggle button in the corner to turn the cool Matrix style music On or OFF?

Or would it be better to have a bunch of dead gray and silver devices lined up with huge $500 price tags sitting above them?

3. Show off the features...
Once the person picks up the device and clicks the button to stop the cool MTV style video, have a simple question appear (stylish font of course): "Learn About this Pocket PC?" to give the option to have a video tour of the device pointing out all the cool features of both the hardware and software... "The device you’re holding has a processor running at over 200 million cycles per second..." "The screen displays over 64 thousand colors..." "A complete suite of software seamlessly integrates with Microsoft Office is built in..."

You guys blew it when there was a clear multimedia advantage over Palm -- they had crappy 160x160 monochrome screens, no memory or storage to speak of and they could only hide behind phrases like "but the batteries last for a month" or "its simple" -- now Sony is squeezing the OS for all its worth and creating designs that even I'm envious of.

Why couldn't they have signed an agreement with Microsoft? And thank the good lord for Toshiba...

4. Brainwash (uh I mean "Familiarize/Educate") the customer with your product name...
Above the display, beside each device, on the salespersons hat or tee shirt or pen & pad or tattoo, or anywhere else you can think of, stick "POCKET PC" on it so people can comfortably echo that phrase in their dreams as they consolidate their memories at night...
(a trick the pharmaceutical companies have mastered to perfection -- Does anyone remember the "It's Coming" TV commercials? and does this term now easily roll off your tongue? "Claritin" -- "Cl-air-i-tinnnn")

5. Market space...
Before you even ask what we want -- shouldn't you just be filling up space to make it seem like its important? Palm has mastered this. There is usually an entire wall filled with stuff that says "PALM" in big letters above it and on almost every package. I usually look for it in the store just to find the Pocket PC's -- ironic isn't it?

But since you did ask what we want -- cases, keyboards, connectors, docking stations, wireless modems -- basically everything the Palm display already has. Kind of a silly question actually!

As far as what software and how to market it a fair number of users may not even have internet access so CD is probably best. The kiosk idea is a nice one -- but expensive, and the most important thing to probably accomplish is showing a new user how to get software online.

I personally think you guys have a long way to go on just the basics of manipulating people to buy Pocket PC's and you should be focusing on that.

Ron

gmelfissg
10-23-2002, 06:37 PM
i'd like to see better batteries in pda (like 3400amp) builtin but i do not care about sleeves because they are not a must. The more expansion built-in sd, cf, wifi, bluetooth, gsm, grps, mode, gps, camera, sun batteries, integrated hard drive, the better it will be for the consumer and of course at a good price.

For software would be nice to have them at decent price. 35$ for a fax software, come on make it $20. In fact all software should not be more then 20$, they will sell much better that way.

Jeff from MS
10-23-2002, 06:42 PM
Ron, your points are so great...we are working on all that stuff (another couple of folks in my group) and I've gotten to provide some input into it as well...and they are reading this as well. We have some great stuff we're doing to address some of this, and your input is very important!

Thanks again!

Sven Johannsen
10-23-2002, 07:03 PM
Gee, how do you add to those three pages? Let me echo some. It is depressing to walk into the CompUSA and find the only thing PDA software is written for is Palms and the only accessories available are for Compaq (yes Compaq, that's what the packaging says). Yes most of the software is probably purchased online, but there are a couple dozen typical packages for Palm on the shelf, and the PPC software seems limited to those that run on both.

It doesn't have to be a PPC running a demo, it could be a PC with a demo program. It can loop a flashy features video, and drop into interactive demo mode if a customer moves the mouse or hits the keyboard.

I know this isn't a MS thing, but here is a peeve on batteries. Several PPCs now have replaceable batteries. Great, I can carry a spare. None of them come with a way to charge the battery off the device, though. How silly. Now I have a good battery on my PPC, and a spent one in my hand with no way to charge it.

peterawest
10-23-2002, 07:49 PM
How about making other supplies available too. For example, I use the Plexus Plexiglass Cleaner to clean the screen of my iPAQ.

I learned about it from someone over at Brighthand. However, I had to look all over the Internet to find a place that would sell it at a reasonable price for just one can.

Things like this could go right alongside of the screen protectors and cases.

Mojo Jojo
10-23-2002, 08:18 PM
Some things I would like to see in the store are a little more personalized. Things that have been mentioned are cases... need more of them for a greater range of PPC. Also tie them into a person's life needs. One forum a person asked for a pda case that also included a checkbook holder... or how about a case that also had small slots for expansion cards (yes some do have that option... but usually come in only flip covers why not a 'slip on' cover with slits on the outside?) How about a briefcase with a designed area to hold them, what about a paper pad portfolio with rooms for business cards and the PDA on the side?

These things can be found if you dig through the internet in various forms but if you were to walk into a story it doesn't exsist. How about a better stylus, one with a soft semi flexible tip so screens don't get scratched?

Enhance lifestyle software options... like why is MS money 'watered down' or just so restrictive when ms money on the pc is so much better?

Repair centers or help on site... why is it that when a problem does occur with my device I have to ship it back to california and wait a week? That sure isn't convient...

uh... the rest of the things in my mind deal directly with how to improve the pda... so I will leave it at that.

dochall
10-23-2002, 08:57 PM
If a Kiosk would work in a Staples, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc why not have a kiosk in a B&N or any other bookstore. I enjoy going into a bookstore and searching the shelves for new book to read. However, since I travel a lot I would rather have it in an ebook format.

Good idea - but howabout taking it a stage farther. I love browsing in bookshops (when I get the time). How about picking up a real book scanning the barcode with a handheld device and then seeing it getting delivered by wifi/bt transfer to your own pocket pc. You could deposit your cc details as both a deposit for the device (presumably an industrial pocket pc) and to automate payment.

Jeff - we're obviously looking at from different angles. I do think that MS should think about different approaches. A small number of botiques establishements could really push the pocket pc brand. You already know about Apple but Nokia does it as well. It would certainly raise awareness and real push the pocket pc line as a cohesive whole.

Jeff from MS
10-23-2002, 09:21 PM
dochall, a different angle is wonderful! Your input is much needed, all ideas are useful. A boutique sort of store would be fun; not sure if anyone has considered that.

Thanks, keep 'em coming!

mobileMike
10-23-2002, 09:51 PM
How about including a card which list some of the top PocketPC websites with each PocketPC purchase. That way the user knows where to get help and suggestions on software and hardware. We can then recommend that they do not buy software from the stores but instead download a trial version first to make sure it works how they expected.

/ mike

peterawest
10-23-2002, 11:29 PM
A boutique sort of store would be fun; not sure if anyone has considered that.

That sounds like a great idea. In the shopping Malls you always find the Cell phone stores. Some are in the middle of the pedestrian walkways and others are small shops along the side.

It would be great to see a small shop like that dedicated to Pocket PC's, or maybe that and the new SmartPhones.

It they had samples of all of the cases, software, hardware extra's, cleaning products it would be great.

However, that would certainly have to be something that one or more companies like MS or HP gave support too.

Heavy Eddie
10-23-2002, 11:32 PM
I like the idea of kiosks, but I don't think you should even have to bother syncing it to your device until after you have purchased the software. Let people try out the software on the kiosk, that way you don't have to worry about screwing up someone's PPC until after they purchase the software :)

Second, personalize, personalize, and personalize. One of the things I have found with PPC owners is they love to personalize their units. Whether its themes available free from the above kiosk, cases, cool styli, or covers like the Noika phones have.

Unlike many others, I think a retail software section has merit. Until people can start seeing the amount of products available for the PPC people are going to keep falling for the line that the Palm has so much more software available. (Maybe more, but what about quality) Telling people something is available and having someone holding the package in their hand is another. This could also increase initial purchases and create more of a commitment at time of purchase. (Less appt to bring back the PPC).

As for the type of software… concentrate on the basics, concentrate on being mobile! Mapping software, expense software, check balancing, weather applications, EBOOKS, wallets, picture albums (goes back to personalization), and finally games, games, games. Although I don’t play a lot of games (kinda like I read Playboy for the articles), I think that some good eye-catching games really need to be marketed.

Finally… go for the gadgets! Have inexpensive gadgets readily available. As a guy, this will get me to impulse buy every time. The FM radios, remote control software, GPS’s, Swiss Army CF card is what I’m waiting for!

Bob Anderson
10-24-2002, 12:16 AM
First off, let me just say THANKS to someone at MSFT listening to the real "enthusiasts" out here that are, well, let's just say "full of ideas!"

My problem with accessory purchases for my iPaq is that most places don't have much. Power adapter: I had to order my iPaq a auto power adapter direct from Compaq because no one in Seattle had one (and even most e-tailers didn't have them in stock.)

I wanted either a single or dual slot PC card adapter. After about a year, CompUSA carried the single one around here.. but the dual one never came into a store! (an e-tailer met my needs on this one.) Get the PDA accessories centralized AND demonstrated... for example, I use a Cross Selectip pen with a stylus "insert". Staples carries all you need, but unless you knew it.. you'd have to go to the pen section to buy the stylus "refill" and the pen counter to get the pen! (Who's going to know about that... except a geek like me?)

I'd like to see more power options available at stores too. Extra batteries (for those devices that can use them), the "instant fuel" adapters for PDAs, cell phones, etc., and these solar chargers I read about. Let's get them out where I can see them and make a buying decision.

In terms of software... I love the concept of a kiosk that had infrared connectivity that would let me download games. ESPECIALLY if they had a way to demo the game right at the store. Then I could see it, buy it, AND load it right there. One post made reference to a wireless access point and coffee... and admittedly that sounds like an excellent idea! This idea could (and should) be carried over to Airports... where people likely to have these devices could be enticed into buying impulse items before that long flight!

Plus, imagine the "established" pocket pc users "hanging out" with new people thinking about buying a pocket pc (talk about product evangelism!)

That's my 2 cents... Thanks for asking!

mookie123
10-24-2002, 12:27 AM
Comment about Pocket PC marketing campaign:

-in the media: depressingly bland, no prsonality what so ever. Anybody remember what was the theme of last PPC ad campaign was about? (I thought not)

-In store : the flyer are just bla bla bla...color pic, cute people, bla bla bla, more color pic, more advertising, more cute chick smiling....more bla bla.....Zzzzzzz......(something about software matter software lifestye..etc.

-the in store Demo unit is also loaded with Super Bland flash presentation. It's like watching some nicely made presentation but absolutely not connecting and make you fall asleep after about 2 nano second. (bla bla bla....another fake Droog design from same generic designer. blocky bright color.......Zzzzz......head hit the table falling asleep)

..what a waste of perfectly nice iPAQ 3975 on the shelf, absolutely underutilized as marketing tool.

------------
suggestion:

on the media, stop explaining what PPC can do! associate PPC with brilliance possibilities and Geniuses throughout the ages. makes people ask "what the hell is PPC really?" and makes them wonder and wanna check it out in the store.

can you put Miles davis wink at PPC, or Hemingway, or some exotic supermodel with intelligent look......or anybody....(personality!!...personality!!..we need some soul for this product)

Come on...If Apple can introduce Machintosh in 1984 without describing the product, in era where people doesn't even know what personal computer let alone what the features are...... Microsoft sure can do better.

On store display,
dammit put on some REAL content and fun images, stop doing endless flash display of powerpoint presentation in bright color. This ain't some boring executive meeting......

Put on some personality and style. Load up the machine on the shelf !

-make a "front page" that flash and attract people to poke around the machine. (something that scream.....poke me....poke me...! in red flashing button)

-quick picture flash of the basic apps. (dont' need to explain at length people get it already if it got email app it will be connected. If they don't get it, they are too stupid, not your target audiance)
-put some fake pword/pExcel user file so when people poke it, it will display what pword/pexcell can do in full glory

-put short funny cartoon in the media player. make people laugh and keep wanting to prod around.
-Put on some nice 10 second art movie.
-put music, real good one too. (why not? you guys put music selling laptop and desktop, quit using that stupid "you've been listening to windows media player ....taaackyyyy......)
-put something in the Microsoft reader. Don't be stingy, some humor and Poem for quick read! (what's with......this software need activation crap??)
-a couple of quick image presenting third party software one can buy. (map, pictures, short loud games, stock page, web page bla bla bla....
-make one of those....."eye candy" screen saver . that's a geek classic. People always mesmerize by Mandelbort pattern or complex cartesian grid being drawn over and over.

-redesign the darned flyer. and Hire some real designer this time. Annnd...pleasee......no more shiny happy people on blocky bright color. .....I go to 'Target' if I want to see that.

TomB
10-24-2002, 12:39 AM
Mookie123 great points - it sounds like you got a hold of material I sent to the OEMs three years ago and Microsoft two years ago including a campaign based on an inexpensive but well known character! Well, you know what they say about great minds! :)

Jeff good to hear your very positive attitude. If you are going to sell programs or content files though, they have to be commercial enough for people to pay the overhead of retail. That includes packaging, distribution and sales at over 150% of what it would be at a developer's site. Without Microsoft optimizing for XScale it ain't going to work. Yes I know that you were talking about OTHER products but the fact is that in many cases software and content files don't perform well enough for the commercial market because the OS and the programs don't work well with any of the new PPCs.

Fact: Film runs at 24fps. Microsoft Media Player doesn't and it is even worse on the new PPCs. There are third party solutions, but if it ain't in the ROM or at least in the box the non-tech is not going to fool with it.
Result: No commercial content is available

Fact: MPEGLA has set charges for content providers using MPEG4 yet Microsoft refuses to develop a cost structure for providers or at least guarantee a free-use period. So no one provider can develop a business plan based on known costs.
Result: No commercial content is available.

Fact: Microsoft Copy Protection is Draconian. It requires keys that can only be transfered to the PPC on an active sync. Have you ever tried using active sync to transfer a two hour movie?
Result: No commercial content is available.

Fact: Microsoft Reader doesn't work well. How can a 512KB LIT file bloat to 32MBs and eventually fail because of lack of memory?
Result: LIT files that will work on the PPC are hard to find, are overpriced, and thanks to the "Memory Leak" sometimes will stall halfway through.\

Fact: Have you ever tried to contact ANYONE at Microsoft (as an outsider) about information you need to help release a PPC product? I started back in January on a media product and after being handed off to about twelve people across the world, I finally got the information myself last week through a third party.
Result: Developers finally give up.

Considering all this, maybe Paul Allen could select a dozen people with great products and ideas and bring them into his business incubator. Then taking these products and the financial might of Microsoft, it would be easy to create a Microsoft retail rack with exciting new and slick products. ALSO these people could get direct access to the information and support they needed - not having to waste months trying to reach the "wrong people" or people who are not in a position to participate with information or help.

----------------------

Once you can change the policy at Microsoft and get the PPC platform supported properly, I would be happy to talk to you about ten major issues I have run into over the past three years with retailers about PPC products. Like limited SKU numbers. Content SKUs different from Hardware SKUs so PPC Demo Videos cannot be run on the devices. OEMs who want a kickback on any sales as a result of an in-the-box give-away or user discount. And on and on. I think it is great that Microsoft is finally trying to help out in this area, but I promise you that the platform HAS to be optimized first. If you want to discuss this further email me at [email protected].

AZMark
10-24-2002, 12:42 AM
I like the kiosk idea would make buying or even trying software a little easier, but hopefully what Mr. MS is looking for is the sorry state of Pocket PC displays.

Of course it's hard to compete with companies that only loose money, but Palm and Handspring have done a great job of getting retail displays out to the retailers. Not sure how much taining goes on, but I do know that Palm has in the past had many Palm days and training at some of the local retailers. #1 question to retailers...."What's the difference in all these PALM devices." VERY hard to fight that.

The recient demo software that I have seen on the PPC's has been great, I always make an effort to get it running again on the display units. Should autorun and turn back on after a certain time out as well.

Maybe one of those Game Boy type displays! Remember those? Screen was too small on the Game Boy so Nintendo divised a display that had a bigger screen that could also attract customers standing behind! Lock the PPC up and have bunch on flash memory,,,,running music! videos! games! Soon people will be wondering whats up with this Pocket PC?

Why don't I work for Microsoft? I need to come up with better ideas for my company!

AZmark

mookie123
10-24-2002, 12:54 AM
The machine should be able to explain itself. come on...

what the point of hands on display, if people cannot even find basic fact, feature, and what it can do by prodding and poking?

in 64Mb you can load up tons of advertising material. Why even bother training some stupid sales people beyond how to insert SD slot containing marketing material and hit instal...?

Sales people don't care minute product details unles they got bonus learning them. Why shoudl they? the product will go away in 2 months ..what next? filling brain with another useless minute facts?

Brad Adrian
10-24-2002, 01:10 AM
But you know, a computer with an IR port would be universal.
I agree, but you'd still have to provide some pretty detailed instructions. Remember the stupid reporter (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4167) who whined about not being able to synch while traveling because he forgot his cradle? It never even dawned on him to us IR, and he considers himself a PDA expert.

Jeff from MS
10-24-2002, 01:55 AM
There are some great new ideas here! There's also a few that tell us what you feel that we're doing wrong and what we should do to fix it; those are wonderful too! If you can, when you have an issue like that, make sure that you let us know what you would do if you were in our shoes to fix the problem as you see it.

Thanks for the input! We'll take all we can get!

yawanag
10-24-2002, 03:26 AM
Most of it's been said. Majority of us would prefer to "Try" before we "Buy." Retail is too costly.

I think outsideof cases, styli and memory I wouldn't go to a retail store to look for it.

What I'd really like to see is someone selling PDA's that knows something about them. Most think they're good organizers. If they only knew. Perhaps sales would be up.

I hate it when someone tells me, "Oh, you've got a Palm!" :twisted:

Unreal32
10-24-2002, 04:26 AM
I know this isn't a MS thing, but here is a peeve on batteries. Several PPCs now have replaceable batteries. Great, I can carry a spare. None of them come with a way to charge the battery off the device, though. How silly. Now I have a good battery on my PPC, and a spent one in my hand with no way to charge it.

Actually, you're mistaken. HP/Compaq makes a charger that sits on your desk with which you can charge spare batteries -- 2 at a time. Casio also had this for their E-200.

mookie123
10-24-2002, 04:40 AM
random idea for software Kiosk.

Make it like Vending machine. You can either buy a software and have it put into your own SD card. (Bring your own SD card)

or if you forgot, don't have SD card. than The vending machine can also sell a SD card plus the software. (8 or 16MB SD card costs only less than $20)

That's as a variation of IR delivery or cradle for the top 3 model of PDA.

....somebody has a crisp $20 dollar bill ? heh heh....

imagine this sort of vending machine along with crispy crisp, Coke, and buble gum.

I am pretty sure a vending machine the size of a small bank teller with 200Gig of HD can load ALL of current PPC titles, plus maybe about 1000 SD card in it and a small robotic dispenser.

make a bigger machine that sells MP3/maps/ebook. and put it in dorm.....

hah!..... hacking galore, if not toppling it after a rawdy frat party. :D

I sitll think putting crispy cream, soda pop and M&M will make this machine that much classier.

ctmagnus
10-24-2002, 07:54 AM
I really want to see stores ditch some of the lower-end PDAs for Pocket PCs. I was in the Richmond Road London Drugs in Calgary a couple of months ago and was amazed at the amount of Pocket PC stuff they had vs other cr@p. There was even a nice, new functioning 3800 iPaq on display. I think I've seen that twice now compared to all the palms and nfg Pocket PCs.

Dan Kingston
10-24-2002, 04:03 PM
An IR kiosk that is in partnership with Handango so the .CAB file can be beamed to your device on the spot...

Ed, Handango is currently working with WideRay to provide the scenario you have laid out. These "Jacks", as they're called, send over a catalog of various applications for a customer to comb through. The user selects a desired app and receives the trial version via the beaming station. You can read more about these retail kiosks at http://www.handango.com/PressRelease.jsp?siteId=1&CKey=PR090402

It's good to see interest in this distribution method and we're very excited with the possibilities.

Sven Johannsen
10-24-2002, 04:51 PM
Actually, you're mistaken. HP/Compaq makes a charger that sits on your desk with which you can charge spare batteries -- 2 at a time.

I believe you, for what PPC, give me a link if it is for a Jornada.

Jeff from MS
10-24-2002, 08:18 PM
I really like the idea of vending kiosks myself; the range of software you get could be just staggering. Thanks for all the ideas everyone, I really appreciate it!

Best regards,
Jeff

mookie123
10-24-2002, 08:47 PM
I am not sure why some bored grad student hasn't make this sort of machine yet.

forget IR/cradle or what not. just use SD card .

-bring your own SD
-loaner SD card with deposit. deposit will be repaid upon returned SDcard.
-buy software along with SD card.

Buy MP3/map/software at 99cents each. inside a $5 bucks SD card, if you are done transfering the content into your PDA, than just toss back the SD card and get your $5 deposit back.

This is very ideal with one of those smart student ID where no cash change hand and all transaction is recorded inside the card and central computer. They already instal card reader in just about all vending machine all over campus anyway.

all that junk information would make an even bigger hit if there is "class note, sample test" Heck. I'l pay more than 99 cents for those, along with my 'Captain crunch bar' thanks.

......For public consumption probably there need to be more elaborate system. use big paper bill, and more elaborate SD card exchange.

This will be a boon for everybody. heck save the environment by stop printing so many CD plastic, paper copier, software packaging, etc.....

and maybe once and for all, underground musician/artist/software writer will have retail foothold by passing those elaborate distribution system straight to PDA user 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.

mm...it would be even nicer if it also sell steamy hot dogs along with physic exam cheat sheet. .... LOL

garrans
10-24-2002, 11:36 PM
1. I like the kiosk idea, with multiple methods of transfer (SD, CF, CD)

2. Use the new wireless tablets (I forget their name) to provide emulators for software and answer questions.

The idea is that you'd have a kiosk, or display near the devices (with the aforementioned big signs etc) Touch screens allow demo's of software (even before a trial version), one side has the emulator running, the other a flash 'how-to' on the software. After a given time, the display goes to a flashy Pocket PC demo / advertisment. (This also minimizes the bad battery, broken screen issue)

You could even order the software from the display and 'pickup' & Pay for the software at the Cust Service Desk. Desk has a couple of SD/CF Cards that are written to when the customer pays, and they load it.

I currently find that while a lot of the software is great, there is just so much of it, its hard to see which one I want without downloading all of a type, if I had the ability to go into Best Buy, Staples, OD etc. and see a touchscreen pc screen that displayed all varieties of SW, I'd really be able to assess what I want quickly.

Oh, and if you advertised some freeware apps, only available from a kiosk, you'd have so many people going in that there'd probably be a Toughts reader in every store all the time (and there would be that trained salesforce you'd be looking for)

jojaboi
10-25-2002, 12:24 AM
software: i like the kiosk or box idea, although i dont like the idea of sticking my $160 sd card in somebody else's slot. i dont know where that slots been :D. no seriously, what if u couldn't get ur card back out. they cost too much for me to risk loss or damage. just my opinion. i do like the ir idea or bluetooth would be even better. finally, i must say that nothing could compare to just downloading from the internet.

hardware: well, i'm the type to do as much research and comparison of specs for different devices before i purchace (even though i consider myself rather ignorant when it comes to the computer world). so all i do at the store before purchace is evaluate form factor (feel of it) and screen (viewing pleasure). i think maybe a working model could be bolted while a dummy lay beside it for seein how it feels in the hand. also different lighting situations would be nice(ie: simulated sunlight, low lit areas) for evaluating the screens performance under different lighting conditions

bleeman
10-25-2002, 07:32 AM
With prices coming down on a lot of the smaller sized SD and CF cards, one idea might be to put together a sample set of applications, games, ebooks, demos etc. on one of these cards and sell them for a couple of dollars. Similar in concept to the Jampack CD's you can get for the PlayStation2 and other game consoles.

With regards to the Kiosk's being mentioned, my concern would be how long it would take before they're broken. How often do you walk into a store and see things of this nature that looked good and drew your attention for about a month (Look at all the comments about what's wrong with the PPC displays now, broken, non-functioning etc). Then they're either down for some reason, the connection/controller etc. is broken and only works occassionally. This generally makes for a frustrated customer. I would think the best chance of it surviving the long haul would be to make it wireless as others have suggested. If it offered some type of menu when you came in range then there'd be no need for any physical contact with the kiosk thereby lengthening it's lifespan.

As others have mentioned, I'd like to see an assortment of cases (and I'd love to see some without clips built-in as I put my PPC in my POCKET! and hate having to deal with the belt-clips! (Same thing with my cell phone)).

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to pass along our thoughts!

njskater
01-28-2003, 03:38 AM
I'm a greenhand that just begin to use pocketpc a month ago.Here's my opinion for pocket pc software and hardware:

software:Pocket Word is not one that i imagined,can't display/add pictures,can't display/insert tables. Then what difference with a notepad?

hardware:When can you Microsoft release a pocketpc OS which is optimized for Xscale Architecture?The speed of current PDA is snails.