View Full Version : Location based services on your WLAN

marlof
10-21-2002, 09:46 PM
<a href="http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-962587.html">http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-962587.html</a><br /><br />Location based services will probably be very big. It's the kind of technology that can really help you out, as you can get information tailored to the needs of your current location. WiFi connected devices are going to bring you location based services as well. Positioning technology company Ekahau brings an updated version of its software, which allows devices to be located when they are connected to an 802.11 WLAN network. The Ekahau Positioning Engine (EPE) 2.0 should be able to locate 802.11-connected devices to within about a meter. As an example the company talks about the ability to hook up to the WLAN network in your local supermarket, and get ads for your specific aisle. I don't know if that specifically is something I'd want, but the idea of location based services sounds cool to me. Source: Jeff Curtin.

CoreyJF
10-21-2002, 09:59 PM
It would be great if they tied it into free internet access. E.G. Starbucks or your local grocery store could push advertizing but offer free internet access in return.

Certified Optimist
10-22-2002, 04:33 AM
Not only will they be able to send you customised adverts, but also track your browsing habits (WiFi position) in the store and match it with your till receipt (in theory... not sure if that will be legal everywhere).

Brad Adrian
10-22-2002, 04:52 PM
I like the idea of location-based services, on either a PDA or mobile phone. It would certainly have to be an opt-in service, though. Otherwise, we face the digital equivalent of people standing on the street corner trying to pass out handbills.

Ideally, it would be based on a personal profile that I control and keep on the device. That way, I can decide when I'm open to "solicitation" or need to find the nearest MacDonald's.

David C
10-23-2002, 09:47 AM
imagine tacking your daily travel rout, through your cell phone positioning service, and a predict at what time of the week you might be where.

That's say you always pass by Big A computer store on you way home tuesday around 4pm. Then, as Big A is having a sale, it will send you a advertisment at 3:30pm Tuesday afternooon just when you're about to leave work and get into your car to let you know that they are having a sale. And, because they already know what you like to buy, and what aile you always pass by when you visit Big A, the advertisment will specificly tailer to your need. Then, you though, what the heck, I'll just swin by Big A on my way home to see what they have today, and you shop a bundle....