View Full Version : Emulator?

WillyG
10-20-2002, 05:15 PM
I came to think of something I miss from "when I was simple" (using Palm that is :wink: ) I really miss a standalone, easy to use Emulator. Now, why on earth to we want that?

As an enthusiast I like to download and try out different software. Demos, shareware, freeware and so on. A side effect doing this on my PDA is that it gets "filthy" with registry entrys, setting files and application related data that I really don't want keeping (if i decide that particular piece of sowtware was not what i was hoping for) A protected enviroment in form of an emulator on my PC would be really nice for those adventures. Palm has somthing called CoPilot (free) wich works really well for this task. Even if im a 100% PPC zealot now :) i still use CoPilot to check whats going on in the Palm software-world.
Just the same the opposite way, a free *standalone* emulator would not hurt nor Pocket Pc interests or Microsoft. In fact it would allow Palm users to discover some of the things they are missing (Os and applications). It could be used in marketing and training. And im sure in a lot of other different interesting and useful areas.
If it was up to me, i would have made the emulator a standalone download. With addons like skins for popular devices (skins wouldnt be hard since it would only consist of the device and its buttons).
Then the user should be able to download ROMs from the net just like they can with the developer emulator today, opptionaly from the users own device. That would have made my day(s) :wink:

mscdex
10-20-2002, 05:25 PM
the OS emulator in the embedded visual tools is what you're looking for, i believe. it's a 300mb download though :wink:

sullivanpt
10-20-2002, 05:26 PM
It still requires the SDK be installedand a desktop icon to be created, but this is 98% of what you need.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/downloads/sample.asp?url=/MSDN-FILES/027/001/912/msdncompositedoc.xml