View Full Version : Does anyone know how to add shortcuts to the Start menu?

Dman
10-19-2002, 08:29 AM
Does anyone know how to add shortcuts to the Start menu?

Specifically, I want to add the Memory program found in the System Settings to my Start bar.

Thanks.

Pony99CA
10-19-2002, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know how to add shortcuts to the Start menu?

That's easy. If you already have a shortcut to a program, follow these steps:

1. Open the File Explorer (or whatever file manager you use).
2. Find the shortcut you want to add to the Start Menu.
3. Tap and hold the shortcut you want to copy.
4. Open the Windows folder.
5. Open the Start Menu folder.
6. Find a blank spot and tap and hold to get a context menu.
7. Select Paste.

You should now see a shortcut in your Start menu to that program.

If you don't have a shortcut to the program for some reason, use the following steps:

1. Open the File Explorer (or whatever file manager you use).
2. Find the program you want to add to the Start Menu.
3. Tap and hold the program you want to copy.
4. Open the Windows folder.
5. Open the Start Menu folder.
6. Find a blank spot and tap and hold to get a context menu.
7. Select Paste Shortcut.
8. Tap and hold the item that says "Shortcut to <program>" and select Rename.
9. Rename the shortcut to something you like.

You should now see a shortcut for the program in your Start menu.

Specifically, I want to add the Memory program found in the System Settings to my Start bar.

That's a different issue. Many control panel applications are not implemented as standard programs (but some are, and you can see them if you're not hiding files that reside in ROM). I spent 20-30 minutes looking for the Memory application and couldn't find it, but maybe somebody else can help.

iTask, included with the iPAQ 38xx series, allows invoking control panel applets, so it can be done, but maybe not using shortcuts.

Steve

WillyG
10-19-2002, 01:39 PM
Many control panel applications are not implemented as standard programs (but some are, and you can see them if you're not hiding files that reside in ROM). I spent 20-30 minutes looking for the Memory application and couldn't find it, but maybe somebody else can help.

Guys, have a look at this article. Its for PPC2000 but should provide some hints regarding how to create shortcuts to control panel applets:
http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/developer/technicalarticles/shortcuts2.asp

If you want a simple solution, and feel that the solution provided in the above article is to hard, you can try PocketToolman (Think this tool has been one of pocketpcthoughts "cover stories" earlier.)
This is a powerful freeware systray utility that gives you quick access to Pocket PC's functions, programs, and settings.
Please dont try that "Hard reset" option unless thats what you want to do (it will restore your device to an out of the box experience.)
You will find PocketToolman here: http://members.shaw.ca/pockettoolman/