View Full Version : WESTTEK ClearVue to Support HP Mobile Printing for Po

Jason Dunn
10-16-2002, 10:35 PM
<a href="http://www.westtek.com/press101602.htm">http://www.westtek.com/press101602.htm</a><br /><br />I have to admit that I'm not very up to speed on <a href="http://h20022.www2.hp.com/busprod/LCoverview/0,,series=238131%5Etype=13037%5Ecategory=64180,00.html?lsidebarLayId=79&rsidebarLayId=235">hp's Mobile Printing solution</a> for Pocket PCs. Is it new? Old? Who knows. But what did come to me in email today was the announcement by WESTTEK that their ClearVue suite would be an integral part of this printing process. Anyone know more about this and what it really entails? I wish press releases had more facts and less fluff (says the guy who went to PR school). :lol: <br /><br />"WESTTEK, a worldwide leader in Microsoft(R) Windows(R) CE printing and viewing applications, today announced that the ClearVue suite of document viewing applications will include support for HP Mobile Printing for Pocket PC in an upcoming release. The ClearVue viewers will contain a printing link directly to HP Mobile Printing from within the viewer applications." <!><br /><br />"ClearVue empowers the mobile professional to access the content of their Microsoft Office documents directly on the Pocket PC in a straightforward manner and with the highest fidelity available," said Tim Wells, president of WESTTEK. "By partnering with HP, WESTTEK was able to extend the functionality of ClearVue to include printing as well." <br /><br />"Hewlett-Packard is excited that partners like WESTTEK are supporting HP Mobile Printing," said Todd Birzer, HP mobile printing business development manager. "The combination of HP Mobile Printing and ClearVue provides a powerful new Pocket PC printing solution for the mobile professional." <br /><br />ClearVue opens and views native Microsoft Office 97, 2000 &amp; XP Word, Excel, PowerPoint files and digital images directly on the Pocket PC. The ClearVue viewers do not require a conversion step or ActiveSync(R) filter, allowing ClearVue to maintain the integrity and content of the original document. Combined with HP Mobile Printing, ClearVue opens, views and now prints! <br /><br />The ClearVue suite of viewers supporting HP Mobile Printing is targeted for release in the 4th quarter of 2002. The update will be free of charge to existing ClearVue users."

timwells
10-16-2002, 11:57 PM
hp mobile printing for the Pocket PC is new, announced and demo'd today by hp at CTIA. I can't speak for hp, but my understanding is that both hp mobile printing for the Pocket PC and the update to ClearVue with the hp mobile printing plug-ins will be available in December. Hp mobile printing will allow you to print email, contacts, tasks, appointments, Pocket Word docs and images from your Pocket PC. In conjunction with the ClearVue update you will also be able to print Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and PDF files as well.

dochall
10-17-2002, 12:44 AM
Well it's definitely new - you can't download it yet and but you can register and it will be delivered in December.

It appears to operate like Print CE for Word and Excel (the pocket versions), for taks, inbox, contacts and calendar it extends the applications so you print from within the app.

I presume it will print direct from inside the clearVue apps allowing you to carry around say a complex form in Word and keep all that lovely formatting.

It support BT and IR printing.

It appears to rock (actually that's an understatment) although it does warn about speed and quality.

Real printing is something I have missed from PPC for some time and the best bit is IT'S FREE! Being too stingy to pay for PrintPocketCE that is a welcome note (although I do feel for FieldSoftware).

Makes me want to give Carly a hug. :D

lsbeller
10-17-2002, 03:14 AM
pdf printing has been the one killer app that I have needed for the last 2 years with my iPaq. I am in outside sales and have over 250 product literature brochures all in pdf format. I prefer not to have to carry them around. Up until now I could view them on my iPaq but not print them.

However, I am still confused - will I need both the HP printing solution and the ClearVue viewers in order to print pdf files?

Steve

timwells
10-17-2002, 04:11 AM
Steve,

Yes, you'll need both ClearVue and hp mobile printing to print PDF files. Westtek will release a PDF viewer here pretty shortly that will include a plug-in for hp mobile printing.

lsbeller
10-17-2002, 04:35 AM
Thanks, Tim! To print pdf files, it will definately be worth it!

Steve

FireFlyOhMy
10-17-2002, 05:10 AM
Tim,

What printers are supported (other than HP printers)?

timwells
10-17-2002, 05:20 AM
HP hasn't said yet for sure, but they will support non-hp inkjets. My guess would be select Canon and Epson inkjets. What device are you looking to support?

FireFlyOhMy
10-17-2002, 05:25 PM
Tim,

Definitely need Epson and Canon support.

Question - will I be able to print PDF files and Excel spreadsheets from ClearVue directly to a Bluetooth printer? Or will this have to go through some print server on a network?

Thanks.

timwells
10-17-2002, 07:29 PM
You'll be able to print directly to a bluetooth printer, no server required.

Paragon
10-18-2002, 04:53 AM
Well it sure looks to me like the next generation of Ipaqs will have native printing capabilities. Not a real huge thing when you can buy Fieldsoftware products, but it will be a nice little punch that the others won't have for a while.

Dave

dochall
10-18-2002, 10:06 AM
Well it sure looks to me like the next generation of Ipaqs will have native printing capabilities. Not a real huge thing when you can buy Fieldsoftware products, but it will be a nice little punch that the others won't have for a while.

Dave

Don't see why it should be just Ipaqs that will benefit. The HP site doesn't mention anything to suggest that it will be limited to Jordanas/Ipaqs.

If it's a simple free download as the site suggests it benefits the whole PPC community (except Field Software).

PrintCE has always been the wrong side of $30 for me to buy something that should be in the OS. While I would prefer that the next version of PPC had real native printing built in somebody providing a thirdparty application free gets my appreciation.

FireFlyOhMy
10-19-2002, 05:18 PM
You'll be able to print directly to a bluetooth printer, no server required.

Tim, your answers have been terrific, thanks... one more question because I keep seeing articles referring to the need for a server component for the HP printing:

http://news.com.com/2100-1033-962358.html

But what you are saying is that for your ClearVue, no server component will be needed at all? If I purchase ClearVue now, I will get the free printing update and not need anything else to print PDF files and desktop Excel spreadsheets directly from my HP568 to an HP Bluetooth printer with no network connection required or $35 per user per year license from HP?

Thanks so much.