View Full Version : ROM 2.20 released for 3600 series iPAQs

Ed Hansberry
10-15-2002, 06:30 PM
<a href="http://www.compaq.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/16169.html">http://www.compaq.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/16169.html</a><br /><br />Compaq has released a ROM update for owners of the original 3600 iPAQ that has been upgraded to Pocket PC 2002. I would assume the installer would verify the ROM on the iPAQ and not install on the 3600 with Pocket PC 2000 on it, though you can still buy the update in the US. I'll be trying this on my 3600 tonight.<br /><br />Enhancements and fixes include:<br />• It includes EUU1. You will need to install EUU2 separately.<br />• ClearType legibility improved<br />• Temporary Backlight Off using the power button feature<br />• Improves Screen Calibration test <br />• Improves Virtual Memory utilization<br />• The error message “Project1.vb requires Visual Basic for Windows CE version 2.0 (\windows\pvbhost2.dll) which is not installed.” (French only) <br />• Completely remove cached deleted text from the inbox. <br /><br />Source: mscdex

nascaredd
10-15-2002, 06:56 PM
I don't think the upgrade works on the 3700 series. Does anybody know any different?

Ed Hansberry
10-15-2002, 07:02 PM
I don't think the upgrade works on the 3700 series. Does anybody know any different?
Fixed. I thought I read 3700 on their page. Apparently not. :?

Cobbler
10-15-2002, 07:48 PM
[quote="Ed Hansberry"]http://www.compaq.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/16169.html

Compaq has released a ROM update for owners of the original 3600 iPAQ that has been upgraded to Pocket PC 2002...
Enhancements and fixes include:

• It includes EUU1. You will need to install EUU2 separately.

EUU2? For PocketPC2002? I don't find that. :?:

hoffm11
10-15-2002, 08:04 PM
I installed this on my IPAQ and works just fine. If you hold down the power button it will change the brightness.

Jaxbulls
10-15-2002, 08:14 PM
Im going to try this later too on my 3635 but I am trying to find EUU2 - this page looks like it might be it but I am not sure. Can someone confirm it please or redirect me to the right spot?

http://www.compaq.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/15068.html

aiswallow
10-15-2002, 08:20 PM
But mine already does that. Is there more to it, does it cycle through the levels of brightness if you hold it down? If it just turns the backlight on and off by holding it down then there's no change. Reading the list of changes the update seems hardly worth it, and no info about whether you have to uninstall EUU2 before updating.

Anyone installed it with EUU2 on? Are there any noticeable benefits to this update?

Cheers

Ed Hansberry
10-15-2002, 08:31 PM
Im going to try this later too on my 3635 but I am trying to find EUU2 - this page looks like it might be it but I am not sure. Can someone confirm it please or redirect me to the right spot?

That's it.

CUShane
10-15-2002, 08:33 PM

That's EUU2... You're in the right spot. I'll have to try this upgrade once I get home tonight.

EyePAQ
10-15-2002, 08:35 PM
The readme states "A previous backup of user data and programs associated with the current ROM image should not be used in a restore to the new ROM image after the update."

Does anyone know if this is the case? I do not want to have to reinstall my software and resync completely. Can't I use a backup made to my CF card prior to updating the ROM?

Ed Hansberry
10-15-2002, 08:52 PM
Does anyone know if this is the case? I do not want to have to reinstall my software and resync completely. Can't I use a backup made to my CF card prior to updating the ROM?
That is correct. It would be like restoring a Windows XP backup to Windows XP SP1. You'd have a mess and an unbootable machine.

Part of the price of ROM updates is your machine needs to be rebuilt. Gets rid of RAM drivers, "updated" \windows DLLs and EXEs, and old registry keys no longer applicable.

dermot
10-15-2002, 10:08 PM
Anyone try this with a PPC2000 IPAQ? Or would that be a bad idea even if the updater forgot to check?

WillyG
10-15-2002, 10:22 PM
Anyone try this with a PPC2000 IPAQ? Or would that be a bad idea even if the updater forgot to check?

Seems like ur out of luck here. Both the website and the wordfile in the installer package mentiones PPC2002

This SoftPaq contains the ROM Update Utility (RUU) and ROM image for the iPAQ H3600 Series Pocket PC 2002.
And
A previous backup of user data and programs associated with the current ROM image should not be used in a restore to the new ROM image after the update. Doing so may cause unpredictable results due to possible changes in Pocket PC 2002. You may want to keep an older backup of user data and programs to use if you choose to restore the older ROM image in the future.

So i guess the answer is that would be "a bad idea"

cpoole
10-15-2002, 11:04 PM
Sometimes it is a good thing to wipe the machine & install again. I am one of those people who always wonder if I should delete the program because I just might need it sometime. This way I start clean and only install the stuff I am currently using.

st63z
10-15-2002, 11:08 PM
This is stupid, but would anyone be willing to ship/sell me their copy of the PPC2002 upgrade CD to upgrade the original 3600 (with PPC2000)?

I'd ordered the PPC2002 CD from Compaq so very long ago but it was never shipped, and in all that time I've gotten lazy so I never upgraded my 3650 and 3670 (now gathering dust in the closet).

I'll compensate for your trouble, please PM/email me...

Steven Cedrone
10-16-2002, 12:14 AM
This is stupid, but would anyone be willing to ship/sell me their copy of the PPC2002 upgrade CD to upgrade the original 3600 (with PPC2000)?

I'd ordered the PPC2002 CD from Compaq so very long ago but it was never shipped, and in all that time I've gotten lazy so I never upgraded my 3650 and 3670 (now gathering dust in the closet).

Upgrade is still available for purchase here: http://www.smb.compaq.com/html/ipaqsoftware/index.asp

From the "Old" site: Orders placed before or on May 31st, 2002.
If you have placed your order prior to May 31st, 2002 from this web page or by calling 713-300-4220 you may continue to check the status of your orders from the order status link provided on this page.

This is the page with the status link: https://www.compaqordercenter.com/iPAQ2002upgrade/secdefault.asp

If you already paid for it, it would be worth it to find out what happened to your order!

Good luck,

Steve

johnm
10-16-2002, 12:21 AM
So I'm still a bit confused about EUU2. Do you install it first or second? If you install it after the Rom update won't that overwrite some of the new files etc?

wilkinsjme
10-16-2002, 12:26 AM
:( Where should I start....
Everything has worked fine with my ipaq 3630 (rom 2.14) and activesync 3.6 connecting via usb to the back of my computer (not a hub) for many weeks now.
I started the rom update and successfully backed up my current ROM. Then started the upgrade. Everything seemed to go fine until an error message appeared on my desktop. "ERROR 105: Open Port Failure" The error dialogue then goes on to say how a COM port could not be opened and to resolve the issue. The only option was to Exit. Since I only connect via USB I started to update app again. Same error message. The ipaq during this whole time said updating the ROM and the screen had lots of snow on it. Well after multiple times of doing this I finally broke down and removed the ipaq and rebooted the system. Same error message. Then I did a soft reset on the ipaq and now the ipaq is stuck on the soft reset screen and still shows rom 2.14. I haven't tried a hard reset yet since the documentation says not to do it. Any suggestions for a next step? I'm headed to the hp/compaq website to look around. I'll reply if I find anything.

UPDATE: :D :) :lol: I have now successfully applied the rom update. I broke down and did a hard reset figuring what else did I have to lose at this point and my ipaq was working again (still at rom 2.14). I then tried the update utility again and it worked fine. Took about 4 minutes. I thought I was in for a long night.

mscdex
10-16-2002, 01:08 AM
Yeah.... if you followed the instructions for the update, it told you to do a hard reset :wink: . But anyway, glad to hear it's working, I installed the rom update also, even though I had a lot of apps installed and I no longer had the installs for them on my hd anymore, but i thought what the heck, and went for it. Works good for me. :)

Now just to wait for EUU3.... :D

Ed Hansberry
10-16-2002, 01:31 AM
So I'm still a bit confused about EUU2. Do you install it first or second? If you install it after the Rom update won't that overwrite some of the new files etc?
Yup! 2.2 isn't that new. It came out for the 3800's back in June/July. This is the same old update for the 3600. EUU2 is newer so you apply it after the ROM update.

van_mierlo
10-16-2002, 02:18 AM
Yeah.... if you followed the instructions for the update, it told you to do a hard reset :wink: . But anyway, glad to hear it's working, I installed the rom update also, even though I had a lot of apps installed and I no longer had the installs for them on my hd anymore, but i thought what the heck, and went for it. Works good for me. :)

Now just to wait for EUU3.... :D

even after the first hard reset it didn't work...so I uninstalled active sync and re-installed...I'm in business too

Rob Alexander
10-16-2002, 06:05 AM
So the 3800 owners got their v2.2 update (seems like) months ago, and now the 3600 owners get theirs. Are the 3700 owners just screwed, or can we expect ours about the time that PPC .NET comes out?

Qman
10-16-2002, 09:36 AM

Yea thats it, note the PPCEUU2_xxx.rtf.

Qman
10-16-2002, 09:42 AM

Yea thats it, note the PPCEUU2_xxx.rtf.

helloboys
10-16-2002, 01:21 PM
Can't upgrade my 3630 here.

The update utility gets to 93%, then the iPaq resets itself, and the ROM upgrade utility loses it's connection and fails. Managed to recover by restoring the backup, but my iPaq and 2.20 don't mix.

edit: Actually, I had to copy the old, backed up image over the file that was meant to be flashed, as I couldn't figure out how to restore the backup. Seems to work OK now.

dleffler
10-16-2002, 02:16 PM
First off, I can't restore from the backup I made immediately prior to the upgrade because it states I'm using a different device. No big deal, just lots of program reloading.

However, now Dashboard won't load because it says it's only for a Compaq device? Any thoughts?

peterawest
10-16-2002, 02:38 PM
Well, I did the upgrade and everything went flawlessly.

I have several coworkers who also have 3600 series iPAQ's so I just compared the ClearType with theirs and it's way better on mine. 8)

If for that reason alone you do the upgrade, it'll be worth it.

I also installed a copy of Tweaks2k2 and used it to turn on ClearType for the System Font and in IE.

Everything looks great. :D

mmidgley
10-16-2002, 04:49 PM
:?: There was a post on 14 Oct on microsoft.public.pocketpc in which someone claims they applied 2.20 rom to their 3600 iPAQ without erasing RAM. The person stated that the rom took, as it shows 2.20--so was this person just lucky, or did their upgrade likely fail somewhere?

I forget all my upgrades under PPC2000 (1.28->1.69->1.7...), but one of those upgrades, as I remember, actually let me install without disturbing RAM. I'd really like to do to rom update, but I just barely went through a hard reset (first one in over a year), and I would rather not go through the re-install and manually restore data routine (along with requesting new unlock codes for software like Cash Organizer).

m.

aiswallow
10-16-2002, 07:02 PM
I think, on balance, that the number of problems being reported with this upgrade outweigh the minor fixes it seems to contain so I'm not going to bother. I'm not having any probs with the setup as is so I think I'll wait and see if any any future updates contain real enhancements.
Good luck.

miawong
10-16-2002, 07:35 PM
:lol: With the release of the new 2.20 ROM upgrade, I had a question regarding the need to do a hard reset after the upgrade. Like many of you, I want to do the upgrade, but without the need to re-install all of my data files & apps.

So, I called HP Support & asked a rep if it was necessary to perform the hard reset. His answer was 'yes'. As opposed to previous upgrades that didn't require a hard reset, this ROM package was done differently.

I then asked if there was an easier way to restore my data & apps without having to re-install everything. His answer was to make a full backup to your desktop using the tool in Activesync. After you have performed the upgrade & applied the other patches, use Activesync to restore your data & apps. By doing it this way, he said that the changes made to the ROM will not be overwritten with the older files.

Just some info I thought I'd share. Hope this helps!!!

aiswallow
10-16-2002, 07:40 PM
After you have performed the upgrade & applied the other patches, use Activesync to restore your data & apps. By doing it this way, he said that the changes made to the ROM will not be overwritten with the older files.

I don't get this, I thought it had earlier been established that a restore after the rom upgrade would not work. Compaq seem to be telling people both, what's the right answer??

Ed Hansberry
10-16-2002, 07:51 PM
After you have performed the upgrade & applied the other patches, use Activesync to restore your data & apps. By doing it this way, he said that the changes made to the ROM will not be overwritten with the older files.

Just some info I thought I'd share. Hope this helps!!!

THis is so wrong. From the update README file.
A previous backup of user data and programs associated with the current ROM image should not be used in a restore to the new ROM image after the update. Doing so may cause unpredictable results due to possible changes in Pocket PC 2002. You may want to keep an older backup of user data and programs to use if you choose to restore the older ROM image in the future.

Best case, AS will fail and tell you it can't restore. Worst case the restore works and your device is a mess or unbootable, requiring a hard reset.

miawong
10-16-2002, 08:25 PM
Due to confusion over HP's comments when I called them the first time, I called again to find out the exact situation.

Please ignore my previous post. As it turns out, the second HP rep I spoke with said the first guy was in fact incorrect. :evil: He did that you do need to do the hard reset & not to use previous backups.

Sorry for the confusion! :(

claytonl
10-17-2002, 11:44 AM
I tried upgrading the ROM today, and got the "Error 105: COM Failure" error as well. Hard reset, soft reset, reinstalled ActiveSync, everything, but still it refuses to flash the ROM.

Even tried it on another Windows platform, but no go as well.

cbolvin
10-17-2002, 07:35 PM
I think the keyword should be to use ActiveSync to REINSTALL Apps and data not RESTORE apps and data. :!:

Kaskade
10-17-2002, 11:19 PM
My 3630 has the 32 MB ROM. It's essentially the same one as the 3700 series. I assume that if I update using the new one from Compaq I would go backwards, loosing access to filestore, and the ability to have things like Windows Media Player in the ROM. :?:

Ed Hansberry
10-17-2002, 11:29 PM
My 3630 has the 32 MB ROM. It's essentially the same one as the 3700 series. I assume that if I update using the new one from Compaq I would go backwards, loosing access to filestore, and the ability to have things like Windows Media Player in the ROM. :?:

Yeah, if you got one of those special 32MB ROM upgrade deals, you really should wait for the iPAQ 3700 2.20 ROM update and hope it works.

karen
10-17-2002, 11:32 PM
Yeah, if you got one of those special 32MB ROM upgrade deals, you really should wait for the iPAQ 3700 2.20 ROM update and hope it works.

Are there previous ROM upgrades for the 3600 series that can establish a file store? I also have one of those special 32 MB ROM iPAQs.

Tell me more, please.

Ed Hansberry
10-17-2002, 11:37 PM

Are there previous ROM upgrades for the 3600 series that can establish a file store? I also have one of those special 32 MB ROM iPAQs.

Tell me more, please.

Those were internal builds not officially supported. The only people I know that got it were people that had connections with Compaq - mainly IT guys with big CPQ contracts. If you don't have it, you probably aren't going to get it and if you have it, pray the 3700 update will work or you are stuck with 2.14 forever - unless you get the 3600 update and do the RAM installs of WMP, TS, IM and Reader.

karen
10-17-2002, 11:48 PM
Those were internal builds not officially supported. The only people I know that got it were people that had connections with Compaq - mainly IT guys with big CPQ contracts. If you don't have it, you probably aren't going to get it and if you have it, pray the 3700 update will work or you are stuck with 2.14 forever - unless you get the 3600 update and do the RAM installs of WMP, TS, IM and Reader.

Ok, so I'm an IT person who has clients with big CPQ contracts. But I'm not following your other points.

What does stuck with 2.14 mean?

And what does getting the 3600 update have to do with getting a fileshare?

Karen

Ed Hansberry
10-18-2002, 12:09 AM
Ok, so I'm an IT person who has clients with big CPQ contracts. But I'm not following your other points.

Karen

The 3600 doesn't support the file store. 2.14 is the build (I think) that the original update was - both the legitimate 3600 upgrade and the inside 3600 32MB upgrade.

See, this is why the 32MB ROM was never publicly released. Too confusing. Don't ask me anymore on this. I don't know how you can get the update you need. Call the guy that gave you the internal build.

karen
10-18-2002, 01:42 AM
Thanks for treating my followup question (there was only one) as an annoyance.

You must have me confused with someone who has been badgering you for information (as well as someone who has "a guy that gave you the internal build.")

You might also try to realize that when someone posts a question here, it really is to everybody, not just you. If you don't want to answer a single question, don't answer. Don't tell long time registrants to stop asking questions and implying that their question was too much of a burden. I know that 3600's don't have filestores. That's why I asked a stupid follow up question when someone said they had one.

Remind me to never to ask for clarification again.

Karen

Karen

The 3600 doesn't support the file store. 2.14 is the build (I think) that the original update was - both the legitimate 3600 upgrade and the inside 3600 32MB upgrade.

See, this is why the 32MB ROM was never publicly released. Too confusing. Don't ask me anymore on this. I don't know how you can get the update you need. Call the guy that gave you the internal build.

Ed Hansberry
10-18-2002, 12:27 PM
Uhm.... you're right. My bad. I did mean what I said but definitely not the way I said it. I don't know anymore about it. Sorry for the way that came across.

st63z
10-19-2002, 02:31 PM

Upgrade is still available for purchase here: http://www.smb.compaq.com/html/ipaqsoftware/index.asp

From the "Old" site: Orders placed before or on May 31st, 2002.
If you have placed your order prior to May 31st, 2002 from this web page or by calling 713-300-4220 you may continue to check the status of your orders from the order status link provided on this page.

This is the page with the status link: https://www.compaqordercenter.com/iPAQ2002upgrade/secdefault.asp

If you already paid for it, it would be worth it to find out what happened to your order!

Good luck,

Steve

Argh, for some reason I'd missed seeing your helpful reply!! Thank you, thank you, thank you (...)!

Finally found my saved HTML order receipt page (for $43), back from January 12! :) So I checked the order status from your link, turns out the status says "Credit Card Declined" -- must've been one of those times I lost a CC and had the number reissued. I'm almost glad, it would've been mighty embarrassing to call them up inquiring about my January order...

Still can't believe how lazy I get sometimes. Never really followed up on this order, than I'd read a while later how they stopped selling the CD (which I was mistaken about as you mentioned).. and dropped the whole thing from my mind altogether. Silly one-time little oversight, and as a consequence I'd stuck w/ PPC2000 ALL that time on my old iPAQs (funny, that).

Anyways, a nice forum member has offered to give me an unused upgrade CD below cost, so yeah, everything's finally cool :D Thanks again.

P.S. Are you a new PPCT contributing editor or something? Never noticed your posts before...

Steven Cedrone
10-20-2002, 04:53 AM
Thanks again.

You're welcome...

P.S. Are you a new PPCT contributing editor or something? Never noticed your posts before...

Nah, just tryin' to help... :wink:

Steve

st63z
10-20-2002, 06:18 AM
^ :)

Uhm.... you're right. My bad. I did mean what I said but definitely not the way I said it. I don't know anymore about it. Sorry for the way that came across.

A Canadian, and one of the female persuasion at that... Fair warning to you Ed, ya can't abuse a member like this and get off scot-free :D

Hey when did I turn into a male chauvinist xenophobe?