View Full Version : Personalizing my Toshiba e740...can anyone help???

Dman
10-15-2002, 05:12 PM
I am a newbie to this forum and a new owner of the Toshiba e740.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following (sorry if these questions are so basic):

1) I am downloading freeware for my e740 but am confused with the many versions that are available (eg: MIPS, SH3, 2002, Strongarm, etc). Which one works for the Toshiba e740?

2) Is there a shortcut that I can put in my Start Menu to CLOSE all my programs at once? It's annoying to have to go from Start > Settings > System > Memory > Running Programs > Stop All

3) The sound files for the Toshiba suck. You can barely hear them if you need a morning wake up call! Can I install my own sound files? If so, how and where should I put them?

4) Where is the best site to download freeware for the Toshiba e740? Seems like most of the stuff out there is for the iPaq. Any freeware for password security management?

Thanks to all who can help with any of these questions! :wink:

surur
10-15-2002, 08:38 PM
1) I am downloading freeware for my e740 but am confused with the many versions that are available (eg: MIPS, SH3, 2002, Strongarm, etc). Which one works for the Toshiba e740?

There is currently few x-scale specific software. most strongarm software (arm) should work fine.

2) Is there a shortcut that I can put in my Start Menu to CLOSE all my programs at once? It's annoying to have to go from Start > Settings > System > Memory > Running Programs > Stop All

this sounds lovely... but if you really want to close everything.. why not just soft-reset? there's some freeware that let you do this from software. You can also place a link to the memory control panel icon on your start screen to reduce the click count.

4) Where is the best site to download freeware for the Toshiba e740? Seems like most of the stuff out there is for the iPaq. Any freeware for password security management?

You dont need software specific to the Toshiba.. most software for pocketpc 2002 should work (they are all arm based). Just be sure to backup if you are unsure, but otherwise give it a try. as an aside.. its sometimes worth it to use paid for software, if just for the convenienece...

Surur

mashtim
10-15-2002, 09:26 PM
I have found that GigaTask works very well as a task switcher/closer. It is one of the few Start Bar programs (it runs in the background and takes over your start bar) that allow you to manage your tasks AND keeps the WiFi icon usable. It also has a handy feature where if you assign it to a hardware button you can switch between open tasks simply by pressing and holding the hardware button. This comes in especially handy when you're driving. If assigned to a hardware button, you also have a pretty good task launcher, as well.

You can use any sound file (.wav) for an alarm. You just have to put them into your /Windows folder and then specify it in the Time settings. However, be forewarned that simply changing the sound file will not necessarily make your speaker more efficient. This is a flaw in the e740. The speaker stinks when compared to other PPCs. It is what it is.

Like Surur just said above, you can use any programs that are made either for PocketPC 2002 (since they're all strongARM chip-controlled now) or simply for ARM. X-Scale is just a more optimized version of the StrongARM chip.

As far as Freeware goes, sorry, can't help you. There are MANY trials for programs, though, which allow you to test out the programs for 30 days or a finite number of uses.

Most important of all, enjoy your new PPC!

spursdude
10-16-2002, 12:48 AM
gigabar is freeware that will allow you to close all programs at once.

freeware - ARM, or x-scale optimized, or pocket pc 2002 will all work fine. or at least they should.

mashtim
11-12-2002, 02:31 AM
I might be wrong, but I believe that Gigabar eventually hides your WiFi icon. GigaTask, however, does not.