View Full Version : Squeezing, rotating and stacking versus redoing.

yubee
10-15-2002, 01:52 PM
I wonder about this both personally and professionally.

Is the issue really making traditional web sites format better for viewing in a different size and shape window? Or is that a moot point? Is the issue better definied as providing relevant mobile/handheld content that is not only formatted for but recognizes the technological limitations of the platform?

I tend to fall on the side of the latter more often than not.

It seems to me to be a lesson learned from the development of the 'traditional Internet': That it isn't the right approach to try and figure out how to squeeze your existing web content into your mobile-compatible site, anymore than it was the right approach to try and squeeze your existing catalogs, brochures, and print ads into a web format.

It seems to me that the kind of data that 'one' would generally access from a mobile handheld device is different from the kind of data one would generally access from a desktop PC. There are certainly overlapping instances, but it seems to me that there are a limited number of examples where I see companies trying to take advantage of what a mobile users needs are, and provide fast, useful, and appealing content for those users.

I'm not sure that developing a better solution as a third party browser ever really addresses the issue. Certainly it gives early adapters interesting tools to play with, and allows regular web site people the opportunity to put off making a shortterm decision, however, ultimately, the end user will use the browser that comes with their device more often than not. No matter how cool a browser technology is, as a designer or developer, you still have to develop for pIE.

And no matter how you stack it, rotate it, squeeze it, stretch it, pinch it, stuff it, a series of 180k pages with multiple instances of elements designed to work in an 800x600 window, and be relevant to me sitting in my office or home while sitting on a high-speed connection at a desk, is not going to be the optimum format or content for my mobile device.

I certainly think it's an interesting topic of discussion, and I don't believe that my opinions on it are any more valid than anyone elses, just ask Mrs. Yubee...I've been wrong once or twice before. :D

But I do think that content formatting and in fact, the content itself are really a server-side issue, or maybe even a pre-server-side issue, not a client/browser side issue. Just my two cents.

What do you think?

Peter Foot
10-15-2002, 04:09 PM
The best way to understand the issue is to go to the far extreme and look at WAP or SMS. A device with a smaller screen does not warrant simply shrinking the size or removing images it needs to be thought out as a separate entity.

Content has to be clear and logical, the Pocket PC is an excellent platform for web content as long as it is appropriate and well thought out. Some sites while flowing to the width correctly seem to scroll for miles vertically, this to me says that someone doesnt know how to break down their content logically.

I have to admit I dont use Pocket IE much but I'd like to be able to use it more in the future with a bigger range of sites.