View Full Version : CostCo's Excellent Price On E-Book Set

Brad Adrian
10-10-2002, 07:14 PM
If you're a fan of the famous <a href="http://www.leftbehind.com/books/">"Left Behind" book series </a> and like e-books, have I come across a deal for you! When I was in my local CostCo store, I saw they were selling a CD called the "Left Behind Iumina Edition" for $14.59. The box says the CD contains companion software for the book series and has a small notice that, as a bonus, the CD also "Includes Palm Pilot and Microsoft Reader versions of the first 10 books." <br /><br />So, for less than $1.50 per book, you can read the books on your PC in Reader format (It doesn't work with Pocket Reader) or in PDB format on your Pocket PC. All you have to do is install the Ilumina CD to your desktop PC, and the Reader and PDB books get copied to the hard drive. To read them on your Pocket PC, just copy the PDB books from your PC to your device and install the <a href="http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com/product/reader/browse/free">free Palm Reader application</a> for the Pocket PC from the Peanut Press site.<br /><br />Normally, these 10 books cost more than $10 each from the Peanut Press site, so this is quite a deal. And, if you've never read a book using Palm Reader, I know you will be pleasantly surprised at how well it stacks up against Microsoft's Pocket Reader.

Sslixtis
10-10-2002, 08:20 PM
Brad Adrianif you've never read a book using Palm Reader, I know you will be pleasantly surprised at how well it stacks up against Microsoft's Pocket Reader.

Now that is an understatement! :wink: I Love my Palm Media Reader, has lots O' cool features like color adjustment and a battery meter.

Cheers!

jmulder
10-10-2002, 08:39 PM
Boy, I hope my local Sam's Club carries this!

-Jim

Marcel_Proust
10-11-2002, 12:08 AM
Is this supposed to be a good thing?

Brad Adrian
10-11-2002, 02:45 AM
Well, you can draw your own conclusions about whether you like the series or not, but $1.50 per book sounds like a good thing to me.

Xaximus
10-11-2002, 04:20 AM

I think Amazon.com allows users to submit book reviews if you'd really like to let everyone know your opinion ;). You've apparently read the books, so I'm quite curious to read your contribution myself :D.

Rirath
10-11-2002, 08:36 AM
Just so he's not alone, I agree. :) I bet you're all shocked I don't like an ebook deal eh? :roll: I like Ebooks, but unless someone gets me them for next to nothing... nah. We need Ebooks at the library.

T-Will
10-11-2002, 08:44 AM

I don't understand some people...

Just so he's not alone, I agree. I bet you're all shocked I don't like an ebook deal eh? I like Ebooks, but unless someone gets me them for next to nothing... nah. We need Ebooks at the library.

You can't get everything in life for free....

*Post edited by moderator for niceness*

Ivan
10-11-2002, 10:14 PM

I don't understand some people...

Just so he's not alone, I agree. I bet you're all shocked I don't like an ebook deal eh? I like Ebooks, but unless someone gets me them for next to nothing... nah. We need Ebooks at the library.

You can't get everything in life for free....

*Post edited by moderator for niceness*

I don't understand some people either...

Why is it that ebook-related posts generate these types of comments...? :roll:

Last ebooks post got out of control and even pushed Jason to rethink if maintaining this site for this was even worth it.

Glad he took a break and even "remodeled" the site :)

BTW, great work with the site Jason...

And yes, $1.50 per ebook seems like a good deal... if you're not interested then don't buy it.

T-Will
10-11-2002, 10:32 PM
Yeah I would buy a lot more ebooks if they were $1.50 each and didn't have DRM!

Ed Hansberry
10-12-2002, 02:08 AM
Yeah I would buy a lot more ebooks if they were $1.50 each and didn't have DRM!
I think these are open files since they are on the CD. However, Palm DRM's your ebooks to YOU so you can transfer it to different devices as you use them. It is tied to your credit card nubmer but what is nice is you can input a new CC# at www.peanutpress.com in your account and it will re-encrypt your books to your new CC. Very very cool.

Brad Adrian
10-13-2002, 10:11 PM
I think these are open files since they are on the CD.
Yes, the ten books on the "Left Behind" CD are open.

T-Will
10-13-2002, 11:26 PM
Oh, yeah I wasn't saying the Left Behind books had DRM, I was just making a general comment that more books should be this price and not have DRM. I'd be really interested to see how well this set sells using this retail model. Is there any way to get information regarding that?

Barbay1
10-14-2002, 01:06 AM
I think that's a great deal! Actually, I was rather curious about the "Left Behind" series so this would be a good opportunity to check it out. )Adding that to my "to read" heap. :roll: )