View Full Version : battery life

dinoalbert
10-10-2002, 11:18 AM
Good day.

Im starting to get annoyed with my new LOOX. The battery lasts for only 8 hours. One time I just turned it on, left it that way the whole day, didnt use MP3, Bluetooth, Games, nothing...never touched it, just the backlight turned on the whole time...just tried to observe/ record how long the battery lasts using the sw UPTIME METER by AE Software. Same thing I did with my old Jornada 568....both of them I observed at the same time

Well my 568 lasted for 12 hours....the Loox on the other hand lasted only for 8 hours (what more if I used Games, BT or MP3 ?!). The Loox, being an Xscale, should have lasted longer than my 568...the box/ specs and even the reviews say Operating Time (worikng/ normal usage) of the battery is around 10-12 hours.

Then I fully charged it again, this time I played one 2 MP3 files, 2 MPEG files (movie trailers), and played a game FIFA2002, then used the BT for about 10 minutes. My Loox got drained after only 4 hours!

Is my Loox normal? Or should I send it back to the store and have it replaced?

I'll appreciate your replies. TIA.

Abednego
10-10-2002, 02:12 PM
Hi dinoalbert,

Sad but true - this lack of battery stamina seems to be normal for the LOOX and was the reason for me to return my device. :(

However there is light at the end of the tunnel (and it is not an oncoming train):
A friend of mine works at Siemens in Augsburg where a part of the LOOX development/quality control team is located. According to him, these guys have had a real hard time lately because they (or the LOOX respectively) could not stand up to the previously made claims of battery life, performance etc. So now they are working pretty hard on some firmware fixes, in order to get things right - let's hope that all those problems are firmware related.

If FSC releases a major update I'll take a new look at the LOOX 'cause other than XScale related (battery, performance) it is a great little device...

So long,
Abed