View Full Version : Viewsonic reviews starting to come in - it's a Thumbs Up!

Ed Hansberry
10-09-2002, 02:00 PM
<a href="http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2884853,00.html">http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2884853,00.html</a><br /><br />"With its initial entry into the handheld market, ViewSonic has fired the first of what will likely be many shots in the Pocket PC price wars. After playing with the new Pocket PC V35 for the past few days, I'm not sure what I find more impressive: the device's $299 price, or the fact that ViewSonic has delivered such an excellent PDA at that price."<br /><br />The author, Josh Taylor, also goes into reasons why this price point will really drive the Pocket PC market - many of the same reasons we have already discussed in the $199 Dell Pocket PC thread. Perhaps he read this site before wrapping up his article. :) It is great that Pocket PCs are coming in at the sub $300 range but quality was a concern for me. It seems ViewSonic has that covered though. Source: Jeff Curtin

jngold_me
This is very good news. I like the looks and weight of the Viewsonic. The Dell (although it offers dual slots and removeable battery) looks bulky and weighs more than my Jornada 568. I don't want something heavier that what I have now.

Two questions I have though. When and where can I get an SD based 802.11 card? Right now I used a CF based solution with my Jornada 568.

Second, I sync my PPC with my home (XP Professional - USB) and my work (NT 4.0 - serial) systems. I know that my company is due to replace all developer workstations with win2k, but until that time, is my only solution to sync at work an IR based one. I tried IR with my E-200 (no serial connection was available) and it was a true nightmare!

Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Cheers!

R K
Hmm, still too early to tell whether the screen is really transreflective, although the words mentioned about the screen are getting warmer at hinting about one.

Foo Fighter
I was all excited about this device until I read this..."The only area in which the V35 is clearly inferior to my iPaq is sound quality. I found its built-in speaker to be a bit weak; even with headphones, my iPaq delivers much richer sound."

Guess this means the V35 is lousy MP3 player. :cry:

Jonathon Watkins
Where can we see pictures of the viewsonic?

jngold_me
10-09-2002, 04:05 PM
Foo,

Throw WithMp3 with it's equilization settings, and the sound may not be that bad. I know my tunes sound a heck of alot better using WithMP3 than in the standard Media player.

Just an idea.

pt
10-09-2002, 04:13 PM
"Bottom line: These new Pocket PCs are great news for consumers. They're probably not so good for Palm, Handspring, and Sony. "

wow, that's pretty cool to hear!

cheers,
pt

Sven Johannsen
10-09-2002, 04:26 PM
Two questions I have though. When and where can I get an SD based 802.11 card? Right now I used a CF based solution with my Jornada 568.

You are thinking of this for a new PPC, right? The Jornada series has no capability to use an SDIO device. SD memory only supported by the MMC battery and PCCard sled MMC slot.

Second, I sync my PPC with my home (XP Professional - USB) and my work (NT 4.0 - serial) systems. I know that my company is due to replace all developer workstations with win2k, but until that time, is my only solution to sync at work an IR based one. I tried IR with my E-200 (no serial connection was available) and it was a true nightmare!

Did I miss something? The Jornada will sync just fine with NT4 using a serial port and either a serial cradle or serial sync cable. The claim is you need SP 6 on NT4 for AS 3.5, but it ran fine on my NT4 work machine with SP 4. Or are you asking about syncing the E-200? The Casio site specs say it has an RS232 capability, so it should work fine with the right cable/cradle.

Foo Fighter
10-09-2002, 04:54 PM
Where can we see pictures of the viewsonic?

Infosync has a high-res pic of the V35.

hrianto
10-09-2002, 04:58 PM
pt wrote: "Bottom line: These new Pocket PCs are great news for consumers. They're probably not so good for Palm, Handspring, and Sony. "

I agree with the consumer part but not for the other part as not only Palm, Handspring, Sony but also other Pocket PC manufacturers will have to slash their prices and that means bad news for their bottom line.

This is going to be a PC market at the end which speed and functions do not matters too much as they are all adequate for the aplications run on them. Then simplicity is becoming important again. Just like the move from DOS - Win 1.x - Win 2.x - Win 3.x - Win95 - Win98 - Win98SE - Win Me - Win 2000 - Win XP.

toshtoshtosh
10-09-2002, 05:15 PM
All other things being equal, this unit will be significantly slower than SA206 devices (300MHz Xscale, Same FSB).

That's ok for people switching over from the Palm camp, but tough to swallow for PPC fanatics who also want more speed (not less).