View Full Version : Krusell Universal Horizontic PDA Holster Review

mattsmith0622
10-09-2002, 09:53 AM
Good afternoon,

I just took delivery of the Krusell Universal Horizontic PDA Holster from ExecutivePDA.com today. This case is available in two different sizes (both priced at $34.95 on their web site). I purchased the smaller of the two sizes, though you would never know by looking at the thing. The folks over there at ExecutivePDA.com were able to quickly tell me which one I needed for my T-Mobile (they are always extremely helpful when I call for information or to order). I’ve been a fan of Krusell cases for some time now. They are well made, fit well to the specific device, are constructed of good quality leather, and the Multidapt system makes it very easy to switch carrying configurations. I was very pleased to see that they make a horizontal PDA case. Here are some initial impressions:

1. The case is made of the same leather as all of their other cases. It’s shiny, grainy leather that stands up well to wear and tear. I have an iPAQ case that’s been through hell and back if you need proof. It looks as good as it did on day one. It’s not the highest quality leather, but still good. It’s leather all the way around, sides included. There’s a nice Krusell logo on the front, which I think adds a bit of class to the case. The case uses a magnetic/snap closure. I prefer actual snap, press-stud closures.
2. The case came with a Multidapt Slide Swivel Clip included, but I replaced it with the Multidapt MiniClip that I use on my iPAQ case. A swivel clip for a horizontal riding case defeats the purpose of having a horizontal riding case. Changing the clip took about 10 seconds. Just use the stylus to press down on a locking pin on the lug, slide off the clip and replace it with a new one (make sure that the new clip “clicks” firmly into place). Totally easy. The case also has two belt loops on the back of it. I can’t see that I will ever use the case this way for day-to-day use, but it will come in handy when hiking. I can slide my backpack straps through the loops and go.
3. The T-Mobile fits nicely in the case, but does not give me access to the different buttons and holes on the device. There is no give on the sides, nor is the any extra room for the extended battery. The case is lined with a felt-type material. This bugs me as it appears to be flaking a bit and getting onto my device. Thank God for sealed screens! The case is also very well padded on the inside, almost to a fault. Since the case is not made specifically for the T-Mobile, but instead is a universal case, there is a lot of extra space at the top.
4. The case rides relatively high, which I like very much. I’m able to sit down comfortably without having to readjust the case on my belt. Sitting in my car is as comfortable with this case as it is to sit at my desk.
5. I really like the cutout at the bottom of the case. While it exposes a bit of the device (a bad thing), it gives me the ability to pull up on the device to remove it.

All-in-all I’m impressed with this case, and I’m certainly satisfied with my purchase. My only issues with the case are that it’s lined with felt and does not give me full access to the buttons and holes on the device. All that extra space at the top bothers me too. I wish that I could somehow create access to those function buttons without screwing the case up (but knowing me I’ll screw it up completely). Handheldplanet.net’s horizontal case allows access to most, if not all, function buttons. Perhaps Krusell should pick up one of Mitch’s cases and steal/borrow some design ideas. While I really like the Krusell case, if HandheldPlanet’s case had leather sides, a static belt clip, and a snap rather than magnetic closure, and the cutout at the bottom, it would be the ultimate rig. Mitch uses far better leather than Krusell does, and his cases have an appearance of being hand-made which I love.

You can take a look at some photos of the case at www.mattandnataliesmith.com/krusell.htm