View Full Version : The quest for a better Notes viewer

jwf
10-09-2002, 05:28 AM
I’ve been looking around for a seemingly very simple application, but have drawn a complete blank. There are various applications that do similar things to my requirements, but none that do them all elegantly and simply.

On my Palm I had an application (SnapMemo) that replaced the built-in memo/notes application and forced the notes list to appear sorted with the most recently modified note at the top.

The Pocket PC built-in Notes application, always defaults to sorting by name, and will only sort with the latest note at the bottom.

At it’s simplest I’d be happy with a Notes viewer program that simply showed my notes sorted by date in descending order, and ALWAYS stayed in that view.

Some additional things that would be nice would be -

Show only My Documents notes, not subfolders. It’s impossible in the built-in Notes application to only show notes that exist in the My Documents folder without seeing all notes in all sub-folders too.

Remove date & size column. Why do I care how big a note is? I’d rather be able to see more of the note title, especially if I know that they are sorted by date anyway.

Always create a new note on button press - if I assign the application to a hardware button, it should always create a new note. This means that a blank page is only ever one button press away.

Changing note content doesn't alter file name. Show 1st line of note rather than file name. It always irritates me that the title of a note isn’t able to be changed within the note editor itself, like Outlook. The notes titles are their filenames. It would be nice to see a list of note titles.

Things I really like about the built-in Notes application, that I haven’t been able to find completely in third-party apps are –

Outlook sync notes.
Freehand drawing.
Voice note integration.
New Button.
System Find (Start Menu/Find) integration.

-----
John