View Full Version : Welcome to the new Pocket PC Thoughts!

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 08:19 AM
I'm hoping this new site layout will be mildly exciting to at least a <i><b>few</b></i> of you, since between the URL guessers posting the URL to the public Pocket PC newsgroup, and the snoopy people who wandered into the forums before the site was open, y'all kinda' stole our thunder! :roll: Like kids at Christmas trying to peak at their presents... :wink: Still, I'll take it as a compliment that our little change was at the root of so much curiosity. I hope you like what you're seeing! I would have had it up sooner, but I had to finish the front matter <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735618739/jasondunn-20/">for the book</a> (dedication, acknowledgements, etc.). I even thanked all of you for your patience while I worked on it!<br /><br />There are still a lot of holes I need to fill in (the "about" info, advertising info, writer bio, etc.), but the heart and soul of the site is alive and better than ever...have fun exploring, and over the next few days I'll be explaining how things work.<br /><br />As always, our greatest wish as a team is to provide Pocket PC users with the best resource for Pocket PC news, views, rants and raves. This is Pocket PC Thoughts - it's what we are, and it's what we do.<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> ...and it looks like our first bug is that the site thinks it's Tuesday already. Did I mention the genius behind the design and functionalty of all of this was in Italy? I think I need to have a chat with him. :lol:<br /><br /><b>ANOTHER UPDATE:</b> I know there are lots of little glitches and bugs, so post everything you find in this thread, including suggestions or things you might want to see changed. I can't guarantee we'll get to all of them, but I'd like to hear everything you have to say! But please, be nice - this site is like my child. 8)

Ed Hansberry
WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

First post to the new front page!

GREAT JOB!

spg
8O WOW! Very nice job Jason. It looks great, and has some cool new features. Great job! 8)

ipaq-PHD
WOW !!!

CUShane
Looks nice. Too many ads drowning out the content on the front page though.

brntcrsp
It looks great, Jason! Congrats to all of you!

Foo Fighter
Looks awesome! Great job, to those who worked so hard to build it.

Boxster S
It's purdy :P

EricMCarson
Very nice. You've done a very good job of integrating the new "GUI" throughout the site, it appears. The front page is just a little cluttered, but if I can get used to Dale Coffing's site, I can definitely get used to this look.

Mark (NL)

Well i rather have ads and have the site as a free access site than anything else ;-)

Looks good guys keep up the good work...

Ed Hansberry
The Article link in the upper right is awesome. All the reviews we've done wrapped up in one page. Sweet!

testing article edit

Rob Borek
Looks like you need to change the time on the server... or change the timezone in phpBB.

Sslixtis
Very nice! Hey maybe the webpage is on Italian time :wink:

brntcrsp
Just a follow up, I love the new navigation on the content pages! I'm discovering new things all the time.

Boxster S
nevermind

jlp
Really looks good.

Now if only we could have an easy access to past news/thoughts, etc. items with page numbers at the bottom of the main page like quite a few sites do, like www.Mobigeeks.net for example.

EricMCarson
First and foremost, we're an opinion site, and our views our passion for everything that is Pocket PC

Slight grammar issue with the byline on the front page here. "Our views our passion"?

BTW, I just discovered that reviews link. That is awesome!

Jeff Rutledge
Nice........

I like the new look. Good colors, features look great (what I've found so far). Definitely worth the wait!

michael
I have a suggestion:
If a user is logged in then do not display the "Welcome to PocketPCThougts" banner - it is too big and takes up too much space. It's reasonable to think that if the person viewing the site has created an account then they already know the philosophy and don't need to be reminded. This could be the first stage in allowing users to customize the front page a la Slashdot

Foo Fighter

Macguy59
Two thumbs up for the new site design :D However, emoticons don't seem to display correctly on the front page. I am on my Mac right now, but that shouldn't make a difference. Anyone else seeing (or not seeing) this?

Jonathan1
Jason. I don't mind ads because they give lifeblood to free sites but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make them static! I think I'm gonna go into an epileptic seizure from all the blinking lights and strobes on the front page! 8O

Other then that very nice transition. Goes well with the motif of the default Pocket PC theme

fmcpherson
I like the fresh update guys. The front page loads about the same as before on my Pocket PC. Perhaps this is a step towards getting a liter front page for mobile users and a template for forums?

brntcrsp
the site looks great under PIE, too.

Macguy59
Hmmmmm I am getting an "index.php" not found error when I click on your banner to. Ahhh growing pains :wink:

Chris Forsberg
WOOOOHOOOO

It looks really great! Congrats to you and the team.

It almost looks even better on a PPC since I only get the "real" content. With some trial-and-error I managed to get to the full content by a detour over the forum. My next wish is a nice way to access the forums on my PPC.

byehl
Where's the RSS feed? I want an RSS feed! Please :D

Mike Wagstaff
Looks awesome! Nice work to all involved! :)

And is it just me or does the new server feel faster? I certainly hope that's the case because I'm actually switching my site over to the same company fairly soon. Great minds think alike, I guess... ;)

mgd
Very nice. Worth the wait.

tonyv
Hi,

It looks nice, but takes forever to load with my 52kbps modem connection.

chrisnian

Is that just your avatar FOO?? Maybe they're plotting against you! :lol:

Great job on the new look Jason & Co.! :mrgreen:

fmcpherson
Gee... Reviews, Columns, Step By Step, Tips....

Where have I seen *that* before?

*grin*

entropy1980
10-08-2002, 12:00 PM
Very nice I am jealous... back to drawing board for me! :oops: :D
You've really have made a killer looking and functioning site! Congrats!

spg
I just found the "news filter" feature, very nice. Love being able to view the latest news that interests me the most! 8)

WillyG
I hope you like what you're seeing

Like what im seeing? I love what im seeing. (dot)

1. Its Classy
2. It looks professional
3. Tasty choice of colours
4. Its well organized and easy to navigate
5. It formely says Pocket PC at first glimpse (i dont know excactly what but somthing reminds me about the Pocket PC-ui)
6. I like the fact that my favorite Pocket PC is in the logo. The LOOX :wink: dont try to tell me it isnt. Im already convienced
http://support.fujitsu-siemens.de/PDA/Pocket_LOOX_www/Bilder/HintergrundBild.jpg
7. Its still fast
8. Its still all Pocket PC with some poke fun at Palm (Wich i love too :lol: )
9. Its Classy (oh did i say that already)
10. And last but not least: Its still "our" same excelent editors running the site (as opposed to some other sites i seldom wisit now)

Thanx guys. Great job and congratulations with the "new" site.

Kindest regards
Willy G.

Jason Dunn
Looks like you need to change the time on the server... or change the timezone in phpBB.

Yup, noted on the front page. :-)

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 12:03 PM

Especially now that we're on a new server that I have to pay for, that ads are neccesary. The question is, would you be willing to pay $2 to $3 a month to have a version of the site free from ads?

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 12:05 PM
Now if only we could have an easy access to past news/thoughts, etc. items with page numbers at the bottom of the main page like quite a few sites do, like www.Mobigeeks.net for example.

Yes, a more full-features archiving system is on the way. Thanks for the input!

[Cruzer]
10-08-2002, 12:05 PM
the site looks great under PIE, too.

except for the forums.. but it didn't work that great with the older
one either. I hope Jason is going to get that feature up. Or is working
already????

RC

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 12:06 PM
Slight grammar issue with the byline on the front page here. "Our views our passion"?

Ooops - thanks, I'll take care of that!

Foo Fighter
10-08-2002, 12:06 PM
Ah..it works!

Update: no it doesn't, false alarm.

don dre
10-08-2002, 12:07 PM
Me Like. oh, the logo certainly resembles the loox and maybe the new Dell.

van_mierlo
10-08-2002, 12:07 PM
Looooks great

Keep up the good work

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 12:08 PM
I have a suggestion:
If a user is logged in then do not display the "Welcome to PocketPCThougts" banner - it is too big and takes up too much space. It's reasonable to think that if the person viewing the site has created an account then they already know the philosophy and don't need to be reminded. This could be the first stage in allowing users to customize the front page a la Slashdot

A good suggestion - that zone will be used for a few different things actually, so stay tuned...

Mr. Anonymous
10-08-2002, 12:09 PM
Hate all the ads making the front page look like Times Square, but I do understand the need for them.

I'm just glad there's still a Pocket PC Thoughts to visit :)

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 12:11 PM
Ah..it works!

Update: no it doesn't, false alarm.

Sorry Foo - we have a permissions issue with the Avatar folder. Try again tomorrow. :-)

pt
10-08-2002, 12:11 PM
outstanding. simply the best pocket pc site.

cheers,
pt

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 12:12 PM
Two thumbs up for the new site design :D However, emoticons don't seem to display correctly on the front page. I am on my Mac right now, but that shouldn't make a difference. Anyone else seeing (or not seeing) this?

That seems to be a Mac-specific issue right now - we're looking into it.

WillyG
10-08-2002, 12:12 PM
OMG u guys are posting fast. Esp. Jason. Each time i hit refresh there is 4-5 new posts/answers (once a minute) 8O
I forgot somthing in my orginal post, ill add it here

11) The new design makes me happy :D

van_mierlo
10-08-2002, 12:15 PM
Way too fast

Jason,

Is the adrenaline still flowing well

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 12:16 PM
I think I'm gonna go into an epileptic seizure from all the blinking lights and strobes on the front page!

Don't they have medication for that? :lol: I hear what you're saying, but that's a tough one. Let me look into how other sites are doing this - as a Web designer I know that multiple animated GIFs break a lot of rules, but as a webmaster with bills to pay...I think you know where I'm going with this. :-)

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 12:17 PM
Perhaps this is a step towards getting a liter front page for mobile users and a template for forums?

Um - your Pocket PC should re-direct to the mobile version....no?

Foo Fighter
"I was like, uploading a new avatar to PPCthoughts from my PC,...and it was like..bleep, bleep, bleep, BLEEEEP. And then, like....half my avatar was gone. And I was like.......HMMMM? It devoured my avatar, it a was really good avatar. And then I had to make it again, and I had to do it fast so it wasn't as good. It's kind of a........a bummer."

- My name is Foo Fighter, and I'm a PPCthoughts poster.

John Cody
Great Job on the new site - especially the cool blue theme :wink:

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 12:19 PM
Hmmmmm I am getting an "index.php" not found error when I click on your banner to. Ahhh growing pains :wink:

Hmm - purge your cache and try again. It should work...

Zensbikeshop
10-08-2002, 12:19 PM
Nice new design - but still you guys are unable to see beyond the Atlantic.

The deals and the are seemingly all US/Canada stores.

Is PPC Thoughts really a US/Canada only site? Why can't you cater for Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, Middle East.....the list is huge..

van_mierlo
10-08-2002, 12:20 PM
Great Job on the new site - especially the cool blue theme :wink:

AS BLUE AS THIS (http://www.pocketpc-club.nl).

spg
"I was like, uploading a new avatar to PPCthoughts from my PC,...and it was like..bleep, bleep, bleep, BLEEEEP. And then, like....half my avatar was gone. And I was like.......HMMMM? It devoured my avatar, it a was really good avatar. And then I had to make it again, and I had to do it fast so it wasn't as good. It's kind of a........a bummer."

Uh oh, he is suffering from an extreme case of "avataritis". :lol:

Jason Dunn
]the site looks great under PIE, too.

already????

RC

Yes, forum support isn't finished yet - we can't do everything at once. :-)

arkman
10-08-2002, 12:21 PM
A very small thing...

Images aren't working on the 'Shop' page. Placeholders are there, but no images.

Looks frickin awesome though.

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 12:21 PM
A very small thing...

Images aren't working on the 'Shop' page. Placeholders are there, but no images.

Looks frickin awesome though.

Uh...yeah. That's one VERY messy area at the moment. ;-)

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 12:22 PM

I feel like Neo from the Matrix on speed. Trying to track/trace/tag/crush the bugs, but it will take a while. Plus the genius in Italy who made all this possible is SLEEPING! The bugger. Haha. ;-)

spg
10-08-2002, 12:23 PM

I feel like Neo from the Matrix on speed. Trying to track/trace/tag/crush the bugs, but it will take a while. Plus the genius in Italy who made all this possible is SLEEPING! The bugger. Haha. ;-)

Isn't that all italians do? :wink: j/k You are doing a great job Jason, keep it up.

buddr
10-08-2002, 12:25 PM
Site looks GREAT! Way to go! I'm sure everyone will agree. Congrats.

brntcrsp
10-08-2002, 12:27 PM
]the site looks great under PIE, too.

already????

RC

I actually noticed a great improvement in the forums, but that could just be the server too. And when I say that they are improved I'm speaking about render time, not scaling to the 240/320. At this point I would rather deal with the scrolling and having fast render times than wait forever to see anything.

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 12:28 PM
Nice new design - but still you guys are unable to see beyond the Atlantic. The deals and the are seemingly all US/Canada stores. Is PPC Thoughts really a US/Canada only site? Why can't you cater for Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, Middle East.....the list is huge..

Good concept, but hard to implement. First off, we don't sell anything ourselves. We post deals that people send to us. Since 90%+ of our readership is in the US or Canada, the deals we get sent are for those areas. Most of the time, I have no idea WHERE these companies ship, nor do I have the time to research them. If you find a great deal at Amazon.co.uk - send it in! The reality is, most people don't - and it's not like I can visit all these shopping sites myself looking for great deals...

Ultimately it sucks seeing a great deal on something and not being able to take advantage of it (I lose out a lot being in Canada) - so I wonder if there's a way for us to do "geographical screening"? Maybe I can tag "deals" with a shipping geography and based on the location that people put in the profile, only show them things they can access. Yet that would require people putting their REAL location in their profile, which I'd estimate 50% of people don't actually do.

See how complex this is? :-) I'm open to suggestions...

Macguy59
10-08-2002, 12:28 PM

LMAO !!!!!!!! :lol: Having recently added a Mac to my computer lineup, I find this hysterical. For those not in the know. . .it is a spoof of a female student doing an Apple switcher ad that looks VERY HIGH.

spg
10-08-2002, 12:32 PM
...so I wonder if there's a way for us to do "geographical screening"? Maybe I can tag "deals" with a shipping geography and based on the location that people put in the profile, only show them things they can access. Yet that would require people putting their REAL location in their profile, which I'd estimate 50% of people don't actually do.

See how complex this is? :-) I'm open to suggestions...

As I programmer, I would say this could get very, very complex. There are so many factors involved. Neat idea though, it could be a good challenge for some great PHP programmer. (which is not me, I'm ASP) :D

hrianto
10-08-2002, 12:33 PM
THIS IS BEAUTIFUL. Specially when you use 1024x768 resolution. Keep up the good work. 8)

Dave Conger
10-08-2002, 12:37 PM
The site looks great. Jumped on while testing my new Wi-Fi card on campus and had to run home to see it on my desktop.

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 12:37 PM
"I was like, uploading a new avatar to PPCthoughts from my PC,...and it was like..bleep, bleep, bleep, BLEEEEP

Ellen? ELLEN? What are you doing on my site??

http://www.ellenfeiss.net/

http://www.ellenfeiss.net/images/ellen.cover.gif

Foo Fighter
10-08-2002, 12:40 PM
http://www.aurorawebstudio.com/ellen.jpg

lord_darkside
10-08-2002, 12:45 PM
Jason, you've gotta point me in the direction of some sort of an article on how to sniff for pocket IE vs regular browsers! I'm looking at pocketpcthoughts on my iPAQ right now, and it's all sweetly degraded down to a nice little thin site, while on my desktop, it's all phat and sweet the way it should be!

Okay, you don't HAVE to tell me how you do it, but I'd really appreciate it as I would love to implement this sort of thing on TSN.ca!

klinux
10-08-2002, 12:46 PM
Looks great! Thanks to Jason for having this site and everyone for their hard work!

Qman
10-08-2002, 12:46 PM
Damn it even looks great with Pocket IE! :lol:
I like......it.

miradu
10-08-2002, 12:47 PM
omg.. This is the best redesign I ahve ever seen in my life. Amazing all the life, color, energy, readability that has been added o this site. If only I could find a way to use my Jornada as easily as I can use my Treo.. ;) (just messin' I'm NOT trying to start palm-ppc wars here... I use both and use both equally though freeware apps for PPC are less to be found IMHO heh;)

BUT BACK TOTHE SITE.. WOW!

this is jsut simply amazing..

van_mierlo
10-08-2002, 12:50 PM
Is it also Mazingo Ready?????

brntcrsp
10-08-2002, 12:54 PM
One suggestion, as I've already done this once, and I would hate for others to fall into the same trap. It might be a good idea to move the LOGIN/LOGOUT link that sits next to the NEW POSTS link. I managed log myself out without really trying. But, it could just be my stupid fingers.

Theo
10-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Sweet - well done folks :D

Jason Dunn
10-08-2002, 12:59 PM

Give it a try and YOU tell ME! ;-) (it should work beautifully)

st63z
10-08-2002, 01:00 PM
Three thumbs up!

Very trendy style reminiscent of recent Microsoft web designs...?

Paragon
10-08-2002, 01:01 PM
It looks much more professional. It can only help the image of Pocket PC Thoughts.

Oh no! I didn't think I would ever have anything in common with Foo Fighter....It swallowed my avatar as well :-(

Dave

van_mierlo
10-08-2002, 01:10 PM

Give it a try and YOU tell ME! ;-) (it should work beautifully)

hmmm let's see........the previews in Mazingo are the full site, so not viewable...and on my ppc.....yes it looks great...just a missing image link on the top of the page.

Job well done

scottmag
10-08-2002, 01:16 PM

HAHAHA ... If that's a feature, I love it! A babbling Carl block.

Same problem here. No emoticons on the front page (only) and I'm using a Mac.

Good job on the site, Jason and gang.

Scott

Speed Racer
10-08-2002, 01:17 PM
Jason. I don't mind ads because they give lifeblood to free sites but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make them static! I think I'm gonna go into an epileptic seizure from all the blinking lights and strobes on the front page! 8O

Other then that very nice transition. Goes well with the motif of the default Pocket PC theme

My sentiments exactly. My tired eyes are starting to go buggy due to all of the animated ads. Other than that minor gripe I think that the rest of the site looks great. :D

Speed Racer
10-08-2002, 01:23 PM

Especially now that we're on a new server that I have to pay for, that ads are neccesary. The question is, would you be willing to pay $2 to $3 a month to have a version of the site free from ads?

I'd be willing to pay a few dollars a month if it (particularly the bulletin boards) was optimized for PIE.

ThomasC22
10-08-2002, 01:26 PM
Bug (sort of) - If you come to the main page by clicking on the link in the upper left hand corner of the forum (which links to the IP Address) and vote in a poll, you can then vote again by going to the URL.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go skew some results :D

sponge
10-08-2002, 01:34 PM
I like how the graphics are a lot cleaner, but I feel cramped.. too much wasted horizontal space - and I'm at 1280x1024! :\

jdhill
10-08-2002, 01:36 PM
Good job !!!

For those of you suffering from animated GIF seizures, you may want to just turn off the animations in IE. Mine have been off for years. Haven't had a seizure in years !!! :wink:

spursdude
10-08-2002, 01:39 PM
jason has done it again! great job!

on the bottom of the right column, the pocketgamer.org link doesn't work (it tries to go to www.pocketpcthoughts.com/2)

sweeeet.....

Mike Wagstaff
10-08-2002, 01:59 PM
on the bottom of the right column, the pocketgamer.org link doesn't work
Right, I'm boycotting this site until further notice! ;)

st63z
10-08-2002, 02:05 PM
What the heck flashing thingamajigs are you guys carrying on aboot?

daninnj
10-08-2002, 02:10 PM
on the bottom of the right column, the pocketgamer.org link doesn't work

Now it's on the left, top...Now it's on the left, 2nd down...Now it's on the right, 3rd down...now it's...ahhh...forget it!

Really sweet site design!

DanInNJ

Rob Alexander
10-08-2002, 02:16 PM
Excellent job, Jason! The new design is great. The animated ads are a bit distracting, but if that's what it takes to pay the bills, then it's a small price to pay.

On the discussion about filtering deals by location, I live in New Zealand, but wouldn't want the US deals filtered out. I pretty much know that none of them will apply to me, but it helps me keep track of what's going on there and how badly ripped off we are here.

For example, in the latest issue of New Zealand PC World, they introduce the "brand new" Toshiba E310 (no, that's not an error; they brought it here after it was obsolete there) at a low-low price of NZ$1,200. That's US$550!!! Now if I didn't keep track of the US market, I'd never know when they were trying to rip me off here.

Also, lots of people will ship overseas, so we aren't necessarily excluded from all of the deals. I think it's better to just let things go the way they are and express willingness (as you have) to also include deals elsewhere if someone wants to send them along.

Anyway, a big thumbs up on the new site. :beer: (And you know I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it!)

Jonathon Watkins
10-08-2002, 02:36 PM
Nice, very very nice. (Apart from the chewed up avatars though). :wink:

Blue is my favorite colour - a nice way to come back from holiday to a new design!

sweetpete
10-08-2002, 02:40 PM
Jason and gang,

The site looks greater than ever. Haven't tried it on PPC yet (forgot it at home today :evil: ), but I'm looking forward to it!

Some suggestions:
Filter link at the top of the front page rather than the bottom. That way it can be accessed quickly when necessary. Maybe even a link toggle it on and off on the front page (not reset though)

Reducing the animated banners to a single one would be great. I understand the need for them and I try to visit some, but being surrounded by them is pretty distracting. You've discussed it so I know you're looking at things.

Keep up the great work

pschultz
10-08-2002, 03:07 PM
I love the look of the new site. It's awsome! I have been checking the site just about every hour to see if it had been updated. Keep up the great work!

Gator5000e
10-08-2002, 03:11 PM
Please just add back the Printable Version button for the discussion pages so I can read the forums while surfing om my iPAQ. Thanks. Love the new look BTW!!

st63z
10-08-2002, 03:23 PM
What the heck flashing thingamajigs are you guys carrying on aboot?

Ah never mind, darn AdSubtract wouldn't let me see the nice ads. I'm disabling all filtering for PPCThoughts now so I can get the full experience.

Mobile Bob
10-08-2002, 03:35 PM
Excellent job Jason (and crew). Looks good on my desktop. Will try it on my T-Mobil PPC Phone from the comfort of my bed once the Monday Night Football game ends.

Thank you! And keep up the great work.

Bob

st63z
10-08-2002, 04:01 PM

Oh man I just saw her on the tube a few minutes ago!

Merlion
10-08-2002, 04:03 PM
ME LOVE!!! YA'LL LOVE!!! & WE ALL POST!!!!!

And post we did! Look at all these responses in just the day of launch!!! Spoke volumes about your site!!! Congrats man!!!

PS. I love your color scheme! ;)

Merlion
10-08-2002, 04:12 PM
Me Like. oh, the logo certainly resembles the loox and maybe the new Dell.
I thought it resembles the Jornada 56x.

Nice new design - but still you guys are unable to see beyond the Atlantic.
The deals and the are seemingly all US/Canada stores.
Is PPC Thoughts really a US/Canada only site? Why can't you cater for Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, Middle East.....the list is huge..
This is afterall a PPC community site, so I guess if we all try to spot great deals internationally & either post them here or bring them to the PPCThoughts team's attention, we could help make this site more relevant world wide. Even better if ya'll could procure international deals for PPCThoughts; Jason & Team did their parts for us, we could help them make this site even better on the WWW. :D

kennyg
10-08-2002, 04:23 PM
Hate the fixed non-resizable font. Otherwise nice.

JonnoB
10-08-2002, 06:06 PM
I will add to the chorus... mobile version of forums and this site is near 100%

chrisdavies
10-08-2002, 06:29 PM

Same here with Netscape 7 on OSX. Smilies work in the forums tho.

schwuk
10-08-2002, 07:46 PM
i like the new site. a bit busy with the flashing ads, and a shame it's still based on a nested tables design, but still...

oh, and it still doesn't render right under mozilla (plus it has the missing smilies on the front page) and the ppct logo at the top-left of the forums is a bad link.
--
schwuk

Philip Colmer
10-08-2002, 09:26 PM
A bit of feedback ...

* It looks like there is either a small bug in the voting system or a grammatical error.

I voted on the appearance of the site and it came back and said you have already voted in this poll ... or something like that.

Nice that it doesn't let you vote again, though, and replaces the vote button with the results.

* When posting to the forum, the topic review looks ugly compared with the rest - it looks like some styling is missing.

* The site doesn't seem to be consistent about when you are logged in or out. When I first visited the site, it automatically logged me in. I then voted on the appearance and I guess that logged me out because I had to log back in again to post.

Great overhaul though. Well done.

--Philip

swhitlow
10-09-2002, 12:03 AM
Cool new site layout! My only suggestion would be instead of the "Top Pocket PC Programs" - I would like to see the "Most Recently Released" programs for your PocketPC. Keep up the great work!

ricardoescobar
10-09-2002, 01:27 AM
FELICITACIONES, SUPER LINDA Y CHEVERE. HACEN MUCHA FALTA, USTEDES SON PARTE DE UN ESTILO DE VIDA.

DE COLOMBIA CON MUCHO AMOR Y SABOR :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Ricardo Escobar A.

paqman_lover
10-09-2002, 01:39 AM
Maybe it's because I'm useing Mozilla 1.1 on a PC but when I click on the pocketpc thoughts banner it no longer directs me back to the homepage it gives me an error message.

Also the frontpage smileys are not working.

scottmag
10-09-2002, 02:33 AM
The PocketPCThoughts image at the upper left of this page links to "http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/..\index.php" which generates an error.

CUShane
10-09-2002, 03:14 AM

It's one thing to have ads to support the content which I support. I think that the front page is now too cluttered a la Pocket PC Passion. It seems like you're trying to cram too much stuff between the ads, "reccommended" items from Amazon, etc. into the front page at the expense of the content I come here for in the first place.

nliokal
10-09-2002, 04:05 AM
It is fantastic!!!!

Content was always the great asset of the site but this facelift was needed. Sky is the limit!!

well done!

e310
10-09-2002, 04:55 AM
The new site looks really cool 8)

Congratulations!!

orion
10-09-2002, 05:23 AM
:oops:

Thank you Jason from a long time lurker. Very nice on the eyes!

Love the blue...but really you should have done pink :P

(teasing)

mparous
10-09-2002, 06:59 AM
Great Job. ESPECIALLY the color scheme :D

ThomasC22
10-09-2002, 08:04 PM
Ok, one minor complaint, why do the topics move up and down on the main page. It seems to have something to do with the # of replies but whatever it is it's driving me crazy.

Anyone else notice this?

TeQuilYa
10-09-2002, 08:50 PM
I love the new site and the way it automatically switches to the PocketPC version. However, it only seems to go back 1/2 to 1/3 as far as the desktop version of the page.

Any chance you could make how many days it goes back a profile setting? I think I'd like it to go back at least two days.

Thanks!

kagayaki1
10-10-2002, 06:26 AM
I'm having problems reading the hyperlinks. They are a VERY slight difference in color from the background. Any help on this?

paqman_lover
10-10-2002, 12:36 PM

yes.

msprague
12-03-2002, 01:27 AM
I know that I am a bit late for this thread, but I have recently installed Opera 7 on my laptop because IE runs so slow (P133/32MB). Well I am loving the browser and it is way faster than IE on this machine, but the pocketpcthoughts forums don't display right. I have traced the problem to the body tag
&lt;body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#"
IE renders this as black but Opera renders it as grey and it is barely readable. If you could please remove the text attribute or specify #000000 it would make my browsing experience much better.
Thanks.

Ed Hansberry
12-03-2002, 03:26 AM
I know that I am a bit late for this thread, but I have recently installed Opera 7 on my laptop because IE runs so slow (P133/32MB). Well I am loving the browser and it is way faster than IE on this machine, but the pocketpcthoughts forums don't display right. I have traced the problem to the body tag
IE renders this as black but Opera renders it as grey and it is barely readable. If you could please remove the text attribute or specify #000000 it would make my browsing experience much better.
Thanks.
That is the background, and FFFFFF is white. 000000 would turn the page black.

msprague
12-03-2002, 03:47 AM
I was referring to the text="#" part.

msprague
12-04-2002, 02:02 PM
Thanks.
Thanks to whoever fixed this. Much better now. :D

Kati Compton
12-04-2002, 04:32 PM
This thread seems like a good place to post my Pocket PC Thoughts "wishlist" for after the server issues are fixed...

Okay, there's really only one item.

I'd like to be able to easily find unread posts and/or all posts within an entered time range. (let me know if there's a way already)

I say this because on more than one occasion I've used the "New Posts" button, read some of the posts, then accidentally closed the browser. Then when I hit "New Posts" again, it doesn't show me the unread posts from the previous time, and I have to go hunting. The search requires a keyword, so I can't just list all posts in descending time order. And I'm really lazy and don't want to click on every discussion area to see the threads in there.

Yes, I know there's the icons next to the discussion areas and the threads. I'm just saying that if this is something relatively easy, I think it'd be useful and appreciated. After the server issues are fully resolved. :)

msprague
12-04-2002, 09:44 PM
I'd like to be able to easily find unread posts and/or all posts within an entered time range. (let me know if there's a way already)

ditto