View Full Version : Cannot open Inbox attachment.

msprague
10-03-2002, 01:01 AM
I have a Maestro (Pocket PC 2002) and after I synchronize my Inbox the attachments show up on my device, but when I click on them nothing happens. If I tap&hold I get a "Save As..." option and when I pick it nothing happens. :x
Any suggestion? This is very frustrating.

Wiggin
10-03-2002, 10:54 PM
Be sure that you have set the ActiveSync to pass attachments to the PocketPC. The default option is to leave attachments on the PC to save memory. You can check the settings by right clicking on the Inbox line item in the ActiveSync window on your PC.

msprague
10-07-2002, 08:21 AM
The attachments appear to be syncing over, I just can't view them.

Malacandra
10-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Same problem here. Don't know how to fix it, but maybe somebody will pity us if there are two of us!? :cry:

ipaq adam
10-25-2002, 05:57 AM
Yeah, I've had the same problem too for many month now. I wonder what causes it.

I can browse my way to the \windows\messaging\attachments folder to access the attachments. All of the files are there, but they aren't named properly and need to be given an extension (which requires a third-party file explorer or a wonderful program like Gigabar).

I'll be on the lookout for fixes, and see if I can figure it out myself.

volker
10-29-2002, 04:22 AM
Maybe by now you have solved the problem. I had to do two things to get my email attachments onto the PPC.

First, as said above, check in active sync "Options/Inbox/settings" the "include file attachment" box and second make sure that you don't limit the attachment size. If you limit it so that it will not be downloaded, you will get a downward pointing arrow next to the filename. If the attachment makes it onto the PPC there is no arrow and tapping should open it. Tap and hold will give you the save as option so you can think of a better file name and folder than PPC came up with. :wink:

Hope this helps,
Volker

msprague
10-29-2002, 01:59 PM
I still do have the problem. I also posted to microsoft.public.pocketpc but have not had a response yet. :cry: My next step is to do a hard reset. I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to do that, but I don't have another solution at this point. :x
Just to clarify, it is not an Activesync issue. The attachments are indeed getting transferred to my Maestro. I have the same situation as ipaq adam above.
The hard reset will be a little less painless this time for me because I have been keeping a copy of the CAB file for all my installed apps on my 128MB SD card, so a few minutes with SK CabInstl (http://s-k.al.ru/wincepdaru.html#ci) and a sync with AS should have me back up and running.

msprague
10-30-2002, 03:30 AM
microsoft.public.pocketpc newsgroup saves the day!
I got this response on the newsgroup:
Try this from a previous post....

I have had this experience. When you open an attachment it uses the
"program files\connections\mail attachments" folder as temp space. If
that folder doesn't exist, you cannot open attachments. I found that
my folder was deleted by the temp file clean up process provided by
the Ipaq Panel application. Once I turned it off, by folders stayed
intact and I could open the attachments.

RJT
I manually created this folder on my Maestro. It didn't even have the "connections" folder. I am not sure how these folders got deleted, I am currently suspecting an app I am using that claims to clean up temp files. I will post if I can verify what deleted the folders on my systems.
Whew, a hard reset avoided. :D

ipaq adam
11-26-2002, 05:09 AM
Wooo, hooo! Thank you, M. Prague! You have saved me from the tedious hard reset, the very day I was going to hard reset my device!

I distinctly remember deleting the folder myself. I wonder if the "mail attachments" folder is hidden. Regardless, time to use DExplor to hide the folder and prevent any more "operator error!"

Cheers!
Adam

P.S. I'm checking out the CAB Install program, looks cool.

msprague
02-21-2003, 07:43 PM
I manually created this folder on my Maestro. It didn't even have the "connections" folder. I am not sure how these folders got deleted, I am currently suspecting an app I am using that claims to clean up temp files. I will post if I can verify what deleted the folders on my systems.
Whew, a hard reset avoided. :D

Well the cuplrit was my PocketPanel (http://www.rhinocode.com/ipaqpanel.htm) software's "cleanup" feature. It is fixed in the current version though. I just upgraded to the latest version and my attachment problem has not returned.