View Full Version : ActiveSync, Bluetooth, Loox & Blue2link

robs
09-29-2002, 06:42 PM
have been, for the last weeks, searching for my right wireless connection. I have a Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox and I avidly read all threads regarding this issue but I only got more questions than answers, mainly because of the bugs the Loox still shows.

I have, at home, a small network. The "hart" of this network is an Etherfast Cable/DSL Router from Linksys. It works as a DHCP server and I use it to share my cable internet connection. Connected to that I have 2 desktop PCs, one with Windows XP Professional and one with Windows 98. The first I use personnaly (and connect my Loox to) and the other is used by my family to "play" (my wife isn't reading this ....)

As I can see I have 2 ways to connect my Loox to my PC and to internet, via Bluetooth. One way is to connect directly my Windows XP PC through an USB dongle ...

The other is to connect it to the router and use a network connection to the PC to ActiveSync. The internet connection would be directly managed by the router.

I searched and searched... for a product, a cheap one (not an Acess Point, which costs more than €400...) to connect the router to the Loox. Finally found, on www.blue2space.com, a product that acts like a RJ45 cable....

I have 3 questions:

First - can I connect my PPC to a product like this? Does the Loox recognizes this LAN connection? For what I understand, only if I can simulate a network card through bluetooth...

Second - does anyone have a direct knowledge of this product?

Third - Will the Activesync work correctly? (Blue2link only supports GAP - Generic Access Profile)

Thanks in advance for your support.

RS

JvanEkris
09-30-2002, 09:20 AM
Well, i havent tried your exact construction. But i will tell my personal experience and hop you find it usefull. I have two Desktops, my girlfriends an my own. My own, off course, contains all my data.

Both desktops are equiped with a Uniwill (a.k.a BlueGear) USB dongle. I have configured everything as an internal network with static IP's (i dont have a DHCP active in that network). When i connect my Loox to my desktop through a PAN connection it starts to sync automatically (when i initiate from the desktop). When i connect to the desktop of my girlfriend (with my desktop attached to my girlfriends desktop as well), the Loox starts to sync automatically. It looks for my desktop on the network, and finds it.

For some helpful guide, you can look on www.firstloox.org the guide explains it with a fixed bluetooth network. But with some intelligence, you can adapt it to a real network.

Jaap